Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

trackir v4??

Guest GREENGRASS

Hi allI have read so much on this forum about the "trackir"can someone tell me what does it do that the hat on thech yoke doesnt do.my thanks for any info Don

I find it smoother, and faster than the ch yoke. You can also move your head closer to the screen for instance to "magnify" an instrument and even look behind things-for instance the landing gear lights/lever in the Baron is hidden behind stuff like the real plane-just move your head up a little and closer to the screen and you can look "behind" the control yoke to see it-just like the real plane! You can move your head in a very lifelike manner to look around for quick looks like while in the pattern-unlike the hat switch. It is a whole different world and well worth it!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest bfindlay

Well - it is a way to immerse yourself in the virtual cockpit without needing a hat. You can also just turn your head - slow to track something, or super fast to glance at your flaps or something - waay better than a hat switch. You can also move your head side to side, or lean forward and look up - like in a turn from base to final. Expensive - but I wouldn't fly without mine anymore. Trackir.com - lots of screen shots and video files.

Just to make it clear to you, perhaps it should be said that it's an infrared head tracking device. You wear a reflective tracking clip on the brim of your baseball cap, and an infrared camera mounted on your computer screen tracks its movement.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

I don't think there is one piece of equipment that I have bought over the last 4 years or so that has increased the reality factor for my simming as much as the TrackIR has done.Even though I have a 22" WS monitor, the TrackIR gives me back a little of the peripheral vision that is so lacking in FS using the standard viewing tools.I had a 2 hr RW flight yesterday in a C172 and replicating the flight when I got home both with and without the TIR made me appreciate just how good it is.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track ClipMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Guest allcott

I recently added a widescreen monitor to my setup. TrackIR4 works even better with widescreen.As for what it can do that a button can't: Speed-dependent panning. Look up and look down almost instantaneous, if desired. Greater `pointing` accuracy, smoother scrolling, greater range of movement - zoom by leaning forward, wide FOV by leaning back, tilt AND pan in any direction. Lean around the virtual cockpit yoke to see the switches. Adjustable sensitivity, completely configurable. And of course, it frees up that button to be used for something else.Allcott

Or you put the new TrackClip on a headphone to get even better results!I fully agree with what has been said before: this is THE BEST piece of hardware (outside the computer itself ;) ) which I have ever bought and it TOTALLY changed my simming life. I'm playing nothing but FS X ever since I bought it some time ago. You can NOT compare it to using a hat really, that's NO comparison. Really! It's completely different. It's instantly, quick, realistic, lifelike, you can move in ALL directions, just as if you are sitting in that plane for real! It's the BEST! :)

Guest Cardifman

I agree with everybody here. I kept hearing fantastic reviews about the TrackIR and evrybody who bought one would go on and on about how good it is. I was worried it might be a bit of a gimmick. So i decided to take the plunge and I bought one to see what it was like. Now I am joining the chorus of praise for this product because it is quite simply the best thing I have EVER bought. It totally and utterly changes the way you view flight simulator. Full Stop. Microsoft should be asking NaturalPoint to supply it with FSX,LOL ,it is that good. So all I can say is...get one and I promise you won't regret it.Rhydianwww.cessnasim.blogspot.com

Guest allcott

The test comes when you have to fly a sim NOT equipped with it! You know a product is good when you'd rather switch the sim off, than be without it. Track IR is one of those products. It's difficult to quantify, but there are several situations when in the cockpit you want to move the viewpoint but the hassle of using buttons simply gets in the way - picking the turning point from Base to Final is a perfect example, especially if you are already altering the bank angle and flying base/final more as a combined oval than separate legs. Buttons just get in the way as you need to adjust the tilt as well as the left/right, and in a high wing plane you might also want to duck a little to look under the wing to keep the runway in sight, or lean forward and look through the upper part of the windscreen. Or looking out for traffic. All this while maintaining control and adjusting bank angle and turn rate, and rate of descent. I don't believe that is possible with ANY control setup other than Track IR, yet this is such an instrinsic part of real flying that to be without it renders the sim considerably less `real`. I know GeofA will agree with me when I say that, in many phases of flight, it is actually more important than the beloved autogen in creating the illusion of reality.Allcott

Guest RichardL

Are any of you guys using IRTrack, 2d full screen with a projection display? If so, your thoughts.Regards,Richard

Guest Stoopy

Excellent videos on the TrackIR website too. The thing I dig about it is the additional movement (height, left/right position, left/right head tilt, etc) that's opened up, which a hat switch just can't do for you. It's a pretty cool thing to be on final approach in an open-cockpit biplane, and just shift your head to the left a little bit and be looking forward from the side of the cockpit just like you'd do in the real thing, to be able to line up with the runway, etc......very slick!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sto...RunwayAhead.jpg

>Excellent videos on the TrackIR website too. The thing I dig>about it is the additional movement (height, left/right>position, left/right head tilt, etc) that's opened up, which a>hat switch just can't do for you. It's a pretty cool thing to>be on final approach in an open-cockpit biplane, and just>shift your head to the left a little bit and be looking>forward from the side of the cockpit just like you'd do in the>real thing, to be able to line up with the runway,>etc......very slick!>>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sto...RunwayAhead.jpg>Yup, have to agree. I have been using the Aerosoft Beaver X and the TIR really helps with ground handling and situational awareness.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaCheck out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

>picking the>turning point from Base to Final is a perfect example,>especially if you are already altering the bank angle and>flying base/final more as a combined oval than separate legs.EXACTLY! :) I (almost) never ever did manual landings with the official circuit: I always landed straight in because flying a circuit was so hard. I even (almost) always used ILS if possible. I would even choose an airfield for landing only if it had an ILS!But not anymore! With the Track IR doing a circuit is AWESOME! I love it! I even started to fly the total approach manually. Nothing better than making the turn to base to final in one smooth movement! It's so rewarding when you end your turn RIGHT before the treshold. With TIR this is possible, just as it is in real life! Without TIR I wouldn't even think about it. This is yet another example of how TIR really changed the FS X experience for me!It's funny to see EVERYONE who has Track IR is so excited about it! :)

@ GreengrassI have one too and since there is nothing more to add to the above......nuff said, get it, try it, love it, you will never fly without it anymore... it's simply superb...case closed.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR