Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

Ever been to a Christmas Tree burning?

a recent news event triggered a pleasant memory for me.  It was a Christmas Tree burning where lots of people gathered on a large snow covered farm in the country not too far from my house and all the trees were piled in a gigantic pile and set on fire - hence the name.  It was a bit like a cookout - actually I guess it was a cookout - but it was pretty with all the snow and the glow and warmth of a HUGE fire casting light and shadows everywhere... People gathered in little clusters here there and everywhere - eating various foods and just socializing.  Kids were sledding on the hillsides.  I think I remember songs being sung in some groups.  It was very enjoyable.  I think it was a Church thing.

ever been to anything like that?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I really don't get this topic, especially here in a flight sim community.
By the way, many find it offensive to burn a Christmas Tree and might be seen as a hate crime.

Do you have something related to our hobby?

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

28 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:
By the way, many find it offensive to burn a Christmas Tree and might be seen as a hate crime.

just out of curiousity:  what do you do with your Christmas Tree at the end of the holiday?  Do you replant it?

burning is a celebratory tradition where I grew up. not a hate crime.

Merry Christmas and I'll do my best not to share any more pleasant memories from my childhood.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on burning Christmas trees, but I thought Hanger Chat was for topics other than flight sim related. I'm not sure how burning a Christmas tree might be considered a hate crime.

• Like 3

NAX669.png

Never been to one, but it does sound like a fun activity to do with the tree after Christmas is over. Seeing as I have an artificial one (real ones aren't usually allowed in apartment/condo buildings here) I would have to borrow someone else's tree though.

1 hour ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:

I think you've missed both the point of the activity described and the point of the Hangar Chat forum.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mwilk said:

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on burning Christmas trees, but I thought Hanger Chat was for topics other than flight sim related. I'm not sure how burning a Christmas tree might be considered a hate crime.

Do a web search for "Times Square Christmas Tree Arson" and perhaps it will enlighten you.  After that recent event I was shocked when I saw the title of this topic.  I had to dig relatively deep in similar web searches to come up with mention of any traditions. I immediately considered this as a troll.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Do a web search for "Times Square Christmas Tree Arson" and perhaps it will enlighten you.  After that recent event I was shocked when I saw the title of this topic.  I had to dig relatively deep in similar web searches to come up with mention of any traditions. I immediately considered this as a troll.

I guess I'm not so easily triggered to assume it was a trolling post.

• Like 2

NAX669.png

OK, I can see this will go nowhere fast! 🔒

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: