Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Tile Proxy thread #2?

What I'm really missing is good old extended_terrain_textures variable from FS9. It essentially cut out detailed scenery at about 20-30 miles, cutting loading time to 1/4 and keeping textures sharp at 250kts. With a visibility setting of 20-30 miles, you didn't notice the reduced textures at all. FSX completely ignores this, always loading textures hundreds of miles from your aircraft even if you only see for 20 miles...I still seem to get sharper textures and less degradation with a medium lod_radius setting than the lowest one. There's more work for the sim, but it also starts filling in sharper textures farther from the viewpoint, so they are fully loaded by the time you get there. With the lowest setting, it never has time to fully load the textures until you've nearly flown past that tile and it's time to switch to lowres again. My experiments were done using the same saved flight with the autopilot flying a specified heading, and observing texture quality without altering the viewpoint. It constantly stays at between 5m and 10m with the medium setting, while the textures quickly turn to giant blotches with the low setting.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest cbuchner1

Good observation. I will try to repeat your findings.

Each system is different of course, but even at High lod_radius setting, I got the same results or possibly even better. It not only kept textures reasonably sharp, but was at one point even able to "catch" up by switching from lower to higher res tile in-flight with no action on my part (such as switching views or pausing). This may be specific to my systen however. I alsways found conventional photo-sceneries looked sharper when configured like this.FSX currently works as shown in the right circle, while I want it to be like the left circle:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171509.gif(red is low LOD, yellow is medium and green is high detail, in the actual sim, there are many more shades in between and it looks more like a cross than a circle)What I would like to do is increase the size of the green ring, maybe decrease the size of the yellow ring, and significantly reduce, or remove the red ring alltogether.FS9 allowed you to do this by means of terrain_default_radius, terrain_extended_radius, and also allowed the user to toggle extended_terrain_textures on or off. In FSX, this is replaced with a single slider/cfg entry controlling all miplevels, and the Extended T-T toggle is completely ignored even if you add it to the fsx.cfg file.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest wyoming

If Gaagle gets there, you do too. If I may, never feels sorry for a question.

Guest mjtibbs

Is there anyway to make tileproxy load scenery directly from the cache?I have gathered tiles for the areas I want to fly in, but for some reason, even though it must have converted the tiles to bitmap in realtime because I seen the scenery load below me in FSX, now if I try to fly some areas without TP running.. it shows big erroneous blocks etc. ( I definalty have these areas jpeg's cached).I removed my ethernet, loaded TP, then loaded FSX and started a flight from the problem area... then after about 40 mins of loading, it created the bmps from the cache and now I can fly that area without TP running.Is there anyway to just force TP to create the world/texture bitmaps from solely the cache folder?TP keeps trying to grab tiles from a provider, even though I have them in my cache (or most of them anyway)... it does eventually convert the cached jpegs, but it takes ages... is there anyway I can make TP do the conversion from the cache without trying to access the internet?-tibbz

Actually Jasc (now Corel) PaintShop Pro :)

MSFS / XP

I think someone else may have made this observation, but I get much higher frame rates with the Unlimited setting. With fps locked at 20 maximum, I was getting single digits. With unlimited, they jumped from mid teens to mid 20s....I'm going to do some more testing to see if this can be further substantiated. sherm

Guest mjtibbs

>Is there anyway to make tileproxy load scenery directly from>the cache?>>I have gathered tiles for the areas I want to fly in, but for>some reason, even though it must have converted the tiles to>bitmap in realtime because I seen the scenery load below me in>FSX, now if I try to fly some areas without TP running.. it>shows big erroneous blocks etc. ( I definalty have these areas>jpeg's cached).>>>I removed my ethernet, loaded TP, then loaded FSX and started>a flight from the problem area... then after about 40 mins of>loading, it created the bmps from the cache and now I can fly>that area without TP running.>>Is there anyway to just force TP to create the world/texture>bitmaps from solely the cache folder?>>TP keeps trying to grab tiles from a provider, even though I>have them in my cache (or most of them anyway)... >>it does eventually convert the cached jpegs, but it takes>ages... is there anyway I can make TP do the conversion from>the cache without trying to access the internet?>>-tibbz^^ pls disregard this post. I reloaded the areas again with TP running and internet connected, it seems to have converted the tiles to bmp indefinatly now :)