Sign in to follow this  
n116dh

Joining STAR "inside"?

Is it permissible to join a STAR at a waypoint other than the "beginning" waypoints?  For example, I would like to use the HAARP3 arrival for KLGA but don't necessarily want to join at the Albany or Rockdale "starting" waypoints; as they are out of the way of a more direct flight path.  Instead I would like to join at BAYSE which is in the "inside" or "middle" of the STAR with respect to Albany and/or Rockdale.

If this is okay how does one indicate intentions in the filed flight plan with VATSIM?

Thanks in advance for your interest and replies.

I believe you could join at VALRE, but not BAYSE.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

No.

When you filled a FPL, ATC expects you to fly accordingly unless they cancel a portion of it, re-route, give you a direct to, or you request to proceed to a different wpt. In your case, ahead of time, you can request direct to BAYSE to join the STAR.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Let's say you were coming from Scranton (KAVP) - I would file my route as KAVP HUO (Huguenot VOR) KLGA and then let clearance delivery decide how they're going to get me from HUO to LGA.   You could file KAVP HUO HAARP3 KLGA and then, in the Remarks section of the flight plan say "join HAARP3 at BASYE" and you MIGHT get what you want, but you have to expect to get an amended clearance anyway, with whatever routing ATC wants you to follow.  Then you have a choice of whether to accept it or cancel, refile and try again.  These suggestions come more from experience in real world IFR flying, than VATSIM.  I do, however find VATSIM to be pretty darn close to real world atc, except you get what you want a little more often in VATSIM, when you're in congested airspace. 

jb