Sign in to follow this  
flyblueskies

PF3 & MSFS 2020

I'm curious, for anyone using PF3 along with MSFS 2020 to replace ATC, how are you actually using it?

1. Let PF3 automatically handle all communications between the controller and First Office (just like MSFS 2020 AI first officer).

2. You use the hotkeys to answer ATC.

3. Use another program, such as Multi Crew Ultimate as either the first officer (he answers ATC just as MSFS 2020 AI first officer) OR you speak directly to ATC using the push to talk buttons.

I prefer not to use option 2 (hotkeys) as it is just not realistic for me...

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

I have the two most often used hotkeys, call to ATC and acknowledge assigned to my joystick Then all I need is  two more hotkeys for calling tower to land, and calling tower for takeoff clearance. You can get one of the programs that communicate to PF3 via voice, but that is too much hassle for me. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks Bob! That's a good idea!

I appreciate the information!

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

5 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

Thanks Bob! That's a good idea!

I appreciate the information!

There is a hot key that brings up all the hotkey commands in PF3, but frankly I never use it. I just remember the 6 most often used hotkeys, and that is all  you really need for 99% of your flights. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

17 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have the two most often used hotkeys, call to ATC and acknowledge assigned to my joystick Then all I need is  two more hotkeys for calling tower to land, and calling tower for takeoff clearance. You can get one of the programs that communicate to PF3 via voice, but that is too much hassle for me. 

Can you set one yoke button as PTT (push-to-talk) using PF3?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

9 minutes ago, Mace said:

Can you set one yoke button as PTT (push-to-talk) using PF3?

I have one set to call ATC and one set to acknowledge what they tell me. 

If you want voice control, this works with PF3.     http://www.multicrewxp.com/

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

I'm curious, for anyone using PF3 along with MSFS 2020 to replace ATC, how are you actually using it?

1. Let PF3 automatically handle all communications between the controller and First Office (just like MSFS 2020 AI first officer).

2. You use the hotkeys to answer ATC.

3. Use another program, such as Multi Crew Ultimate as either the first officer (he answers ATC just as MSFS 2020 AI first officer) OR you speak directly to ATC using the push to talk buttons.

I prefer not to use option 2 (hotkeys) as it is just not realistic for me...

Actually I use all these options depending on the type / stage of flight and the mood I'm in.

When flying the FBW A320 I use Multi Crew Experience to interact with PF3. During the flight I switch between talking to ATC myself (mostly on the ground) and having my FO do it (mostly during cruise).

When flying GA sometimes I use VoiceAttack to talk to PF3 by voice (I'm not using MCE when flying solo GA, and VoiceAttack gives total freedom on which phrases you want to use - other than MCE).

Sometimes I use the hotkeys. I have a StreamDeck page setup for all the PF3 hotkeys with descriptions of what they do, so I don't have to memorize them. 

I also often change the VCP setting of PF3 during the flight (mostly between 1 and 2).

After all I love the flexibility of PF3.

11 hours ago, Romeo_Tango said:

Curious; Does PF3 work for VFR?

Basically it does. Some features I would like to have are missing though, for example enroute airspace transitions and control zones.

Edited by RALF9636

11 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Actually I use all these options depending on the type / stage of flight and the mood I'm in.

Thank you RALF!

That's a very good way to handle the different situations!

Downloaded the demo today..but its telling me it cant connect to MSFS2020. I did start the sim before running PF3 also. Any advice and since its a demo, I created a simbreif flight under 200miles and saved it as a MSFS 2020 format and loaded it into PF3.

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

2 hours ago, Bill A said:

its telling me it cant connect to MSFS2020

You also need to use FSUIPC and connect to MSFS 2020 before connecting PF3 to MSFS.

So...

1. Start FSUIPC (for MSFS 2020). I start mine manually, but it can be automatically connected to MSFS 2020.

2. Within FSUIPC, connect FSUIPC to MSFS 2020.

3. Connect PF3 to MSFS 2020.

PF3 should work after this.

Ok, I thought I was under the impression that FSUIPC was no longer needed. Is there still a free version of it? 

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

5 minutes ago, Bill A said:

Ok, I thought I was under the impression that FSUIPC was no longer needed. Is there still a free version of it? 

http://www.fsuipc.com/

On 2/5/2022 at 11:30 PM, RALF9636 said:

Sometimes I use the hotkeys. I have a StreamDeck page setup for all the PF3 hotkeys with descriptions of what they do, so I don't have to memorize them. 

Hi Ralph

I am starting to do the same with my Stream Deck. What commands have you set up on your SD? Many thanks in advance.

John

Read the manual but how do you get the menu to choose who to contact on the radio and what to reply?  I'm busy pressing hot keys but don't know what they do.