Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

How do I determine CTD cause?

5.3 HF2. Getting lots of CTD. Usually at cruise in the middle of the flight with not much going on. Tons off addons.... PMDG, orbx, fsdt, etc etc etc etc. 

How do I get to the bottom of this?

Delete your cfg file and let it rebuild.  you will have to redo your settings so take a screenshot of each page before you delete.  This is where I would start.

Edited by MarkW

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I would also check the Event Viewer after each CTD. Also, would be helpful if you clarify what were the steps to update to 5.3HF2

11 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

5.3 HF2. Getting lots of CTD. Usually at cruise in the middle of the flight with not much going on. Tons off addons.... PMDG, orbx, fsdt, etc etc etc etc. 

How do I get to the bottom of this?

Locate Windows' Event Viewer (type event viewer in the start menu) after a CTD.

Once the app has launched, click on the arrow next to 'Windows Logs' to open the next menu and then click on 'Application'.

Hopefully, you will see a red exclamation mark icon next to the word Error in the list. Click on the word 'Error' on the line that has a source of 'Application Error' to see details.

53x8vx2.png

In the General tab, see what the faulting module name is, then compare to the Avsim CTD guide and work from the suggestions in the document.

Alternatively, as already suggested by MarkW, delete your Prepar3D.cfg file located at %AppData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V5 and let it rebuild. Do likewise with the shaders folder located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

29 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

Do you have any AI traffic models

nope. I fly alone! lol

46 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

I would also check the Event Viewer after each CTD. Also, would be helpful if you clarify what were the steps to update to 5.3HF2

Had a clean install of HF1 and then HF2 came out 2 days later. murphys law I guess. deleted client and installed HF2 client. I read the client was only needed for HF2, not scenery, etc. 

Here is the info from event viewer:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.3.17.28160, time stamp: 0x61e6ab02
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000082097
Faulting process id: 0x33e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8210ec627f23b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: b610ad41-60ac-4329-aa81-26af60e5ab2c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Exception code: 0xc0000005 is usually a general application issue usually tied to a specific addon you have installed.

Best thing is via process of elimination, is to start off with a base P3D installation with no add-ons installed and gradually increase your addons being utilized to help determine where the problem may lie.

Also in addition to MARKW advice above letting the sim rebuild the Prepar3d.cfg file, I would also delete the Shaders folder since this issue appears to be related to the last P3D client update you made and they recommend clearing these out.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I always delete the complete local shaders folder when updating and the config and have never put back the old config but test and tweak again, as you may find you do not need some of the old tweaks you used and could be causing an issue. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg