Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Caribbean Trek - 5 - Cancun to Grand Cayman

Great time in Cancun.  Weather was perfect.  Not too crowded this time.  Most Covid restrictions lifted.  Now off to Grand Cayman, which will be our "launch pad" for several of the next trek adventures.

Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20Screens

A look from the ramp at the addon MMUN Cancun International by Hold Short Simulations.  It is available at TO.

And another look just after rotation.

Flying south along the coast looking back at Cancun and the splendorous Nichupte Lagoon that separates hotel row from the city.

Over the Yucatan Caribbean coast nearing the island of Cozumel. Aeropuerto Internacional de Cozumel (CMZM) airport in view on the right and the small island paradise of Isla de la Pasión off to the left.

A final look at Cozumel with a view of the long Punta Molas del Nte outer banks area along its north boundary.

Pretty lonely skies with only a few scattered cumulus to keep us company.  It was just under two hours out over the open water.

Just making out the outline of Grand Cayman ahead with its beautiful blue tropical water.

On final to MWCR Owen Roberts International on the island of Grand Cayman.  Can just makeout a moored cruise ship just to the right off of the nose.  

Here are a couple of images of the MWCR Owen Roberts Intl by tsigut. It was originally available on TO, but now his improved versions are at his Github at https://github.com/tsigut/Owen-Roberts-International.

Cayman%20Character-X2.jpg

An aerial view of the long "7 Mile Beach" that Grand Cayman is famous for. Grand Cayman has a lot of character, from its popular beaches, to rows of restaurants and drinking establishments, with splendorous views of the sea, and vacation rental homes along the beaches.

Cayman%20food-X2.jpg

The Cayman Islands have a wide array of traditional fish dishes with an individual touch unique to each establishment. Here you can see the variety from three of them.  Most of the are lightly fried Mahi Mahi, Grouper, Snapper, and Monk Fish.  The Caymans are also famous for Coconut Shrimp!

Also pictured for you is Green Turtle Stew - regarded as the national dish of the Cayman Islands. The dish consists of stewed tomatoes, onions, peppers and turtle meat, and may also include some chicken and pork, typically served with rice or quinoa. Green sea turtle meat is silky and slightly chewy and tastes a bit like chicken or veal. 

Next to the stew is Fish Rundown. This fish-based seafood is a slow-cooked fish stew boiled together with coconut milk, cassavas, candy potatoes, plantains, and lots of different elements. Fashionable elsewhere throughout the Caribbean, each port offers its own distinctive tastes based on locale-specific food elements. The Grand Cayman fish rundown makes use of numerous fragrant herbs that produce scrumptious aroma.

Heavy Cake or cassava hails from the Cayman Islands, where it's regarded as the unofficial national dessert. This intensely sweet dessert is made with a combination of boiled coconut milk, margarine, vanilla, brown sugar, spices, and grated cassava.

For libation, a Mudslide is the most popular. The espresso and chocolate are combined together with Baileys Ice Cream, and Kahlua, and served it as a frozen drink. It was invented in the 1950s at Wreck Bar located on the north side of Grand Cayman. The man credited with creating the cocktail was a bartender fondly named Old Judd.Today, it’s still Grand Cayman’s signature drink!

Note:
My nVidia Shawdowplay that I use for screen captures did not work properly during my short final into Grand Cayman so I will have to capture those views later in the Trek. I will be flying out of MWCR as a base, so will have more opportunities to do so.  

I have also since added the Seafront Simulations enhanced AI ship and shipping routes addons and hope to see more sea traffic when out over the sea.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 7

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Enjoyed the flight but even more impressed by the mouth-watering rundown of Cayman cuisine you saved for the end.

John

Edited by John F
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thoroughly enjoyable series.... Frank...! Enjoy and keep the postcards coming...!!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:52 AM, John F said:

Enjoyed the flight but even more impressed by the mouth-watering rundown of Cayman cuisine you saved for the end.

John

John,
For me it makes it more fun to fly somewhere when I make it more interesting.  I'm running a bit behind on processing these, but stay tuned. Took in some late February Caribbean festivals but have to find time to catch up these posts.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Taking in the (virtual) sights and tastes...a second time, Frank.... (While it's beginning to snow around here...) ...