Sign in to follow this  
PiaggioPilot

Planes veering to the left/rudder issues

Hi everyone.

I've been having a recurring issue during takeoff/taxiing where the aircraft will want to veer to the left on its own. When I look closely, i see the rudder slightly moving to one side or the other without my input. When I try to counteract this and then neutralize the rudder, you can see in the video that it swings the opposite way. I have always had auto rudder disabled as well. On taxi too, planes feel very sluggish and if I twist my TCA airbus edition joystick for too long a period, the plane will be very slow to react to turning the other way. 

Looking for some advice on fixing this problem. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/PbgssqIa4fg

Sometimes using dev mode to jump into another plane and then right back to the original plane will cure that. Sometimes an axis is set to being a centering axis and sometimes not, which will make a difference. Sometimes an axis is programmed to update the axis numerical values 'continuously' and sometimes programmed to be 'on change'. If it is set to 'on change' then a rudder will not stay in a position off center when the controller (e.g. the pedal) is not moving. On 'continuously' the rudder will mirror where the pedals are at all times.

The most common problem is programming the same axis twice. So there are 2 conflicting inputs.

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I use AAO myself to avoid these types of issues. Here's a tiny part of its long help pdf:

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

I use AAO myself to avoid these types of issues. Here's a tiny part of its long help pdf:

Don't want to hijack PiaggioPilot's thread too badly, but quick question on AAO -- does it allow per-aircraft control settings?

@PiaggioPilot if it was not said already, you can adjust your null zone on the rudder axis, this may dial-out some of the weaving back n forth you are seeing.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yes it does allow per aircraft control settings.

It will also program the Saitek/Logitech panels if you have those. Logitech's own drivers are locked and not programmable.

With AAO you can name and export your profiles to anywhere, such as your desktop for safekeeping and then import them back.

One thing I like about AAO is multispeed button action. So I set up both a slow and a fast rudder trim. You could put both trim speeds onto a controller button or onto a keyboard key. It would take three buttons or three keys. Two for right and left trim. And one other button to toggle between fast or slow trim.

7 hours ago, Fielder said:

It will also program the Saitek/Logitech panels if you have those. Logitech's own drivers are locked and not programmable.

With AAO you can name and export your profiles to anywhere, such as your desktop for safekeeping and then import them back.

One thing I like about AAO is multispeed button action. So I set up both a slow and a fast rudder trim. You could put both trim speeds onto a controller button or onto a keyboard key. It would take three buttons or three keys. Two for right and left trim. And one other button to toggle between fast or slow trim.

IS it better than SPAD

Victor Roos

7 hours ago, Fielder said:

IS it better than SPAD

Victor Roos

19 hours ago, PiaggioPilot said:

Hi everyone.

I've been having a recurring issue during takeoff/taxiing where the aircraft will want to veer to the left on its own. When I look closely, i see the rudder slightly moving to one side or the other without my input. When I try to counteract this and then neutralize the rudder, you can see in the video that it swings the opposite way. I have always had auto rudder disabled as well. On taxi too, planes feel very sluggish and if I twist my TCA airbus edition joystick for too long a period, the plane will be very slow to react to turning the other way. 

Looking for some advice on fixing this problem. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/PbgssqIa4fg

This could be a joystick calibration issue.  I am using the Thrustmaster 16000m and I have to recalibrate the Z "twist" axis every time I play MSFS.  If I come back to MSFS again after not having played it for some time, the calibration is off and I have to recalibrate the Z axis again.

The same issue happens with the Logitech Extreme.  I have to recalibrate the Z "twist" axis.  Check your joystick recalibration in Windows.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

7 hours ago, Victoroos said:

IS it (Axis and Ohs) better than SPAD?

As you know Spad.Next is for the Logitech panels and AAO is for the panels and/or any other controller and the keyboard. Or more than one keyboard if you use more than one.

For the panels, Spad.Next is more powerful and can do all kinds of things that AAO cannot do. But using AAO is way easier because there is nothing to learn, it's all a simple interface.

Here's video of a guy using Spad.Next. But he removed his online Spad.Next profiles so you can't examine those profiles in detail to see how he programmed everything. You can't do all these sorts of thing with AAO. With AAO you just can program a lot of the assignments in the MSFS Options window onto any of the panel buttons and keys.

With Spad.Next you can set up conditions. For instance you could increase the VS numbers only so high using for instance the 'gear up' lever, but no higher. Or set a limit that you can adjust the ALT dial to. Like you could program it so that you can't dial up 25,000 feet with the ALT knob in a Cessna.

He has videos for Saitek/Logitech radio, multi, and switch panels.

But you can use SPAD.neXt for the controls as well, and you have several calibration and settings options. Several (most?) online profiles don't make use of this but it can be done.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11