Sign in to follow this  
stewartforgie

WU8. Out of ideas. help needed.

I had the same issue. Updates are always a hassle for me, and have never gone smoothly. I have re installed 3 times because of this. In this case, I deleted the hung up files and it worked after 3 tries. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

At this point, if you have tried everything, I think you should get help from the MSFS support team.  I believe you need to file a Zendesk report to get help from an official MSFS support staff.

There is also an MSFS Discord channel that you can try.  And there is the official MSFS forums of course.

You may well have a point. I have also posted on the official forums about this issue and I don't think Zendesk is all that helpful as they tend to just point you to their support articles which tell you to try all the things you have already tried. 

Besides, if the Dev teams are so "all over" these forums as they would have us believe, then they would be aware that this problem is still ongoing and at the very least acknowledge this and let us know if a solution is actually being sought.

23 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Does your friend have the same version of MSFS that you have? If you have the exact same MSFS version as your friend, in theory, if you have downloaded the entire update, as a last resort for your friend, you may be able to copy the relevant files from your computer to your friend's computer, that your friend is stuck on.  This is a last resort option only.  Preferably, your friend is able to download everything directly from the MSFS servers.  But as a last resort if nothing else works for your friend, you can try this option - but you should have the same MSFS version as your friend for this to work (ie. if you have the Standard version of MSFS but your friend has the Premium Deluxe version of MSFS, I don't think this would work).  And if you choose this last resort, I would only copy the relevant files to your friend's computer that he is stuck on (you can copy all the MSFS files onto your external USB drive when you go to your friend's house, but just copy the relevant files to your friend's computer that he is stuck on - if he gets stuck again, you have the other files waiting on your external USB drive to copy over).

Nice idea - but we're about 100Km apart and both of us have the MS Store version, which makes copying directly into the (encrypted) Onestore folder nigh on impossible - at least not without some really fancy Windows/system permissions skullduggery which  I wouldn't wish on anybdy!

Aslo - there are no "relevant files" on my system. My *.part files are temporary and disappear after a successful update. Just looking at the Onestore folders that changed on my system, I can see 15 folders that were changed/added ... around 9Gb. No way I can easily send those to him. Could it not just screw up his system in any case?

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

1 hour ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Nice idea - but we're about 100Km apart and both of us have the MS Store version, which makes copying directly into the (encrypted) Onestore folder nigh on impossible - at least not without some really fancy Windows/system permissions skullduggery which  I wouldn't wish on anybdy!

Aslo - there are no "relevant files" on my system. My *.part files are temporary and disappear after a successful update. Just looking at the Onestore folders that changed on my system, I can see 15 folders that were changed/added ... around 9Gb. No way I can easily send those to him. Could it not just screw up his system in any case?

So I'm not 100% sure what the installer does.  And what I suggested to you is a last resort. I have read other posts about people who copied their entire MSFS folder, with all the files in it, and were able to transfer it to a  new computer or a new drive, and there was minimal download required.  So it appears that some people are able to get MSFS working in this way, by copying the files.

I'm not sure if the installer is smart enough to recognize that if the file has been extracted, it can move on to download the next file.  The .part files are probably the files pre-extraction.  Post extraction, if the extraction is successful, MSFS should be combining the .part files into the final extracted file.

As I said, try this as a last resort only.  This means, your friend has tried all other options and those options have failed.  I highly recommend your friend ask for help from the official MSFS support team.  I believe you have to file a Zendesk report to get help from the official MSFS support team.

As for corrupting your friend's MSFS, yes, you can corrupt your friend's MSFS by giving him the files to copy (since your friend is the administrator of his computer, he should have administrator rights to copy whatever files he wants and to copy over and overwrite whatever files he wants).  This is why I recommend this as a last resort choice only.  Your friend should definitely contact the official MSFS support team before trying this last resort. And even if your friend does copy the files to his MSFS folder, only copy to the MSFS folder so in the worst case, only MSFS is corrupted on your friend's computer. Do not do something st*pid like copying over the files to the Windows folder or else your friend can corrupt Windows, which is way worse than just corrupting MSFS.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

You have to realize this is a 10 year plan hoping that people will keep buying this sim after 10 years more than likely they will close the doors

every update will go down the same way

9 hours ago, airservices said:

You have to realize this is a 10 year plan hoping that people will keep buying this sim after 10 years more than likely they will close the doors

every update will go down the same way

Your post was so helpful I just had to quote it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewartforgie said:

Your post was so helpful I just had to quote it!

Too many Foster's.....  (LOL)

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Are you running an anti-virus package? I used to get stuck in those loops for hours/days. It was Avast! Turned it off and poof... perfect download.

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

8 hours ago, odourboy said:

Are you running an anti-virus package? I used to get stuck in those loops for hours/days. It was Avast! Turned it off and poof... perfect download.

Arrrrgh!!!!! It should have been the first thing I tried. I turned it off on my buddy's system and all went well ... with no other black magic being used.

Turning off anti-virus should be a *last resort* - especially as these updates can take a fair while.

Edited by Adamski_NZ
  • Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

3 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Turning off anti-virus should be a *last resort* - especially as these updates can take a fair while.

Next time, have your friend download the update overnight when he goes to sleep.  This way, he can turn anti-virus off overnight, and also ask your friend to close all all other non-essential programs, including any browsers.  Just close any non-essential program when he goes to sleep. Browsers are the most likely way he would get a virus, especially if there are ads running in the browser.  But other programs that are non-essential may also be an entry point for viruses, depending on what those programs do.  And your friend can do a full scan of his computer before he shuts down anti-virus for the night.

More or less, a bare bones Windows running without other non-essential programs running, plus the MSFS installer, shouldn't cause the computer to be infected with a virus (but if his computer was infected by a virus before the MSFS download, then that is a different case - hence, he can do a full scan of the computer before he leaves MSFS to download overnight).

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Finally got it updated!

After numerous tries at deleting the hung file, I tried the nuclear option and verified files this didn't work so I did a complete uninstall (including the fs files in c/app data roaming This still didn't work so I once more uninstalled and tried something different. This time when I uninstalled I also deleted any reference to flight simulator in Local as well as roaming data. I also decided to install into a different folder. I had been using D/MSFS2020 so I changed it to D/MSFS and it worked! Now i have no idea why it worked but I thought I would post here what I did anyway in case it might help some one else. The only downside is that by uninstalling the entire game again I was left with six and a half hours of downloading to get all the updates back. I hope I don't have to do this for every update going forward.

Edited by stewartforgie
spelling

On 3/28/2022 at 2:47 PM, abrams_tank said:

More or less, a bare bones Windows running without other non-essential programs running, plus the MSFS installer, shouldn't cause the computer to be infected with a virus (but if his computer was infected by a virus before the MSFS download, then that is a different case - hence, he can do a full scan of the computer before he leaves MSFS to download overnight).

Even a freshly installed Windows can be infected if it doesn't contain the required updates and if the virusscanner is switched off it could still be if it is directly connected to the internet.
A safer option would be to have the virusscanner ignore files in a certain folder and download to that folder. After the download is complete and it is free of malware you can install it the usual way.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5