Sign in to follow this  
Boeing_Driver

Cessna 414 and proper mixture

Hello gents,

I'm wondering if anyone can provide me with some pointers on proper usage of the mixture controls with the C414. So far, it seems rather haphazard in trying to achieve the best EGT. Should the mixture be gradually decreased throughout a long climb?

As a separate question, what should I expect to achieve in terms of maximum altitude for this aircraft?

1 minute ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Hello gents,

I'm wondering if anyone can provide me with some pointers on proper usage of the mixture controls with the C414. So far, it seems rather haphazard in trying to achieve the best EGT. Should the mixture be gradually decreased throughout a long climb?

As a separate question, what should I expect to achieve in terms of maximum altitude for this aircraft?

Well since the turbochargers are screwed up by asobo yes you'll have to lean as you climb.  I know this is wrong technically for turbochargers but I'll use 50-100 LOP as I climb.  So if you to see the needles peak out, you'd need leaning till the temps drop 50-100 degrees more.

Service ceiling is FL300 but typically you'd fly this in the teens to FL250 or so.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

And this is why the manual states to turn on Auto Mixture (i know...it pains me too) due to the issues within msfs. Hopefully asobo can fix the issue and we can all get some good mixture controls going on.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

1 minute ago, CaptainNick said:

And this is why the manual states to turn on Auto Mixture (i know...it pains me too) due to the issues within msfs. Hopefully asobo can fix the issue and we can all get some good mixture controls going on.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to do that. I'm finding if I pull the mixture back, just one click too far, the engine dies and has to be restarted (a real piston would be fine if you simply pushed the mixture back in a bit).

The mixture simulation in MSFS seems to be basically a copy/paste of the very broken model FSX and P3d use, since they seem to have the same over-sensitivity to altitude changes and completely ignore the effects of forced induction. 

I don't have the 414, but for other turbocharged aircraft, I've decided the least annoying way to deal with that issue is to have automixture on for climb, turn it off and lean for cruise, then turn it back on for descent. There's actually a "set best mixture" option in MSFS you can assign to a button, but Asobo completely broke it a couple of updates ago (it now brings the mixture to cutoff), so it's not useable right now.

Can this be fixed by setting fuel_air_auto_mixture=1 in the engines.cfg? It is currently set to its default value 0.
According to the SDK:

Sets whether the automixture is available (TRUE, 1) or not (FALSE, 0). If present the mixture will automatically be set for maximum performance. When set to manual, the mixture needs to be manually adjusted to maintain the required performance.

Default value is 0 (FALSE).

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 5:26 PM, ryanbatc said:

Well since the turbochargers are screwed up by asobo yes you'll have to lean as you climb.  I know this is wrong technically for turbochargers but I'll use 50-100 LOP as I climb.  So if you to see the needles peak out, you'd need leaning till the temps drop 50-100 degrees more.

Service ceiling is FL300 but typically you'd fly this in the teens to FL250 or so.

So if it was working correctly, one would just leave the mixtures in the fully rich setting right? I'm assuming the fuel computer would automatically lean/richen as needed without pilot input (that way the mixtures levers would act more like the condition lever in turboprops?).

Former Child, Current Adult

I'm not sure about fully rich.  I think you may learn them just a touch.  I don't have any rw experience with turbochargers.

Eventually you'd lean them a bit more at fl210 in this plane.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Leaning a turbo charged engine like this usually means trying to obtain the highest EGT, or thereabouts. Having said that, Asobo has a long ways to go towards implementing this procedure as one would do in real life.

As a side note, the listed maximum range on this aircraft is quite impossible to achieve without summoning an in-flight refueling plane.

6 minutes ago, Boeing_Driver said:

As a side note, the listed maximum range on this aircraft is quite impossible to achieve without summoning an in-flight refueling plane.

Yep, the fuel consumption is a long way off the book values right now.

Edited by Matchstick

12 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Yep, the fuel consumption is a long way off the book values right now.

It's actually doubled - and it was something the dev forgot to remove before release hehe.  It'll be fixed with the new update coming soon TM.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

12 hours ago, liamp51 said:

So if it was working correctly, one would just leave the mixtures in the fully rich setting right? I'm assuming the fuel computer would automatically lean/richen as needed without pilot input (that way the mixtures levers would act more like the condition lever in turboprops?).

You're mostly correct. 

On a turbocharged engine, the turbocharger makes the engine perform as though it's at sea level, until it hits the "critical altitude" for the turbo, at which point engine performance begins to drop with altitude.

Since the 441 doesn't have FADEC, the mixtures work exactly like they do on any other airplane, so the pilot would set the mixtures for takeoff (and maybe reset them for climb), and the turbochargers mean the fuel/air mixture stays essentially the same throughout the climb. 

Once at cruise, the pilot on a turbocharged airplane still has to lean the engines correctly, since the mixture control is "dumb" and can only maintain the fuel/ratio the pilot set them for.

• Like 1

Anyone got any documentation for the 414 with RAM conversion as the Flysimware addond simulates? I couldn't find any on the web... 

Edited by BR4593

On 3/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, ryanbatc said:

When will we ever have proper engines with turbo chargers in the sim.  It's been this way in FSX, P3D, and now this one.  X-Plane may be ugly...but it gets that and turboprops right.  

In terms of this plane, yeah, I fly lean of peak too.

• Like 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

4 hours ago, BR4593 said:

Anyone got any documentation for the 414 with RAM conversion as the Flysimware addond simulates? I couldn't find any on the web... 

https://www.ramaircraft.com/performance414

Cessna 414Stock Airplane vs. RAM Series VI
Primary Specifications Cessna 414 RAM 335 hp Series VI
Engine Model: Continental - TSIO-520 -J -NB
Horsepower: 310 335
TBO - hours 1,400 1,600
Fuel - with 63 gal. Aux. - useable - gallons 163 163
Takeoff Manifold Pressure @ 2700 RPM 36” 41”
Takeoff Runway Acceleration - 0 to 100 mph 25 sec. 19 sec.
Twin Climb - ISA - Cessna @ 6,350 lbs. / RAM @ 6,510 1580 fpm 1900 fpm
Single Climb - ISA - Cessna @ 6,350 lbs. / RAM @ 6,510 240 fpm 310 fpm
Climb Power - ISA + 30°F - RPM & MP 2450 & 31.5” 2500 & 35.0”
Cruise Climb - SL to 18,000 ft - min. 24 18
Cruise @ 75% - ISA - 20,000 ft. - ktas 205 218
Cruise @ 65% - ISA - 20,000 ft. - ktas 190 203
Cruise @ 55% - ISA - 20,000 ft. - ktas 175 188
Useful Load Increase - lbs. NA +415
Ramp Weight - lbs. NA 6,800
Gross Weight - lbs. 6,350 6,765
Landing Weight - lbs. 6,200 6,430
Zero Fuel Weight - lbs. 6,165 6,165