Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Repainting the Flysimware 414

4 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

its hard to see though its always in the rear of of screenshots

Oh my...I certainly hope you're using the drone camera and not just external view that only pans around the center of the aircraft.  It's essential to both get great/interesting screens and to inspect your work.  I like to rotate the camera sometimes to get really interesting shots...like this:  I like the reflections off the horizontal stab at this angle, and the sun glint off the vert stab. 🙂  Also note I have to find the rudder on the maps and catch that little piece of the the "1" in the reg.

sQjFsI.png

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Thank god for these efforts.  Looking good Ryan!  Somebody, please, do the cockpit!!

Archer has one or two mods up on flightsim.to - I believe a more grey/black panel.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, Steve Dra said:

Oh my...I certainly hope you're using the drone camera and not just external view that only pans around the center of the aircraft.  It's essential to both get great/interesting screens and to inspect your work.  I like to rotate the camera sometimes to get really interesting shots...like this:  I like the reflections off the horizontal stab at this angle, and the sun glint off the vert stab. 🙂  Also note I have to find the rudder on the maps and catch that little piece of the the "1" in the reg.

Oh when I'm done I'll certainly use the drone cam to get some actual presentable shots lol.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, ryanbatc said:

Archer has one or two mods up on flightsim.to - I believe a more grey/black panel.

I'm planning on dabbling into the cabin/cockpit textures as well...maybe try to match the interior of my paints as well....a LOT of work though.

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I have to fix the inboard side of the left nacelle here but after too many hours I've finally got it looking a lot better

(got the bottom of the nacelle and side lined up better as well).  Hopefully these parts flip perfectly to the other engine he he he (nervous laugh)

51982800891_b6029fc51b_k.jpgWIP13_small by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I admire your tenacity Ryan. I downloaded the paintkit, looked at it, read a few of your posts and said 'sod it, I don't have that much time left' 😂

Different puppets...Same strings!

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I admire your tenacity Ryan. I downloaded the paintkit, looked at it, read a few of your posts and said 'sod it, I don't have that much time left' 😂

Well I've sort of given up on the interior nacelle - it has the same issues and then some.  I will Duplicate the parts to the right side of the fuselage and finish it up soon.  If I can learn how to fix those lines in Blender then I'll fix em!

I used some artistic license on the winglets...as the real one doesn't have them...it's also a RAM VII but meh!

This side looks pretty darn good

51983110756_e3db19fc1a_k.jpgWIP14_winglets by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

19 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

I'm planning on dabbling into the cabin/cockpit textures as well...maybe try to match the interior of my paints as well....a LOT of work though.

Now that is something I cannot do - I wish you luck!

Do you happen to know what is typical for undercarriage section on this bird?  I saw in the real photos that mine has black main gear doors... but that in between the engines and the wing root is white on what appears to be both sides of the wing.  For now I just splashed some paint on there to see what I want to do.  Do you have any recommendations as to how to paint the underside?  OH and also wondering if you know where on the paintkit that little white strip is and where the cowl flap (or whatever those little doors are just in front of the main gear) are?

51982892957_1b0e81e47b_k.jpg414underside by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

30 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Now that is something I cannot do - I wish you luck!

Do you happen to know what is typical for undercarriage section on this bird?  I saw in the real photos that mine has black main gear doors... but that in between the engines and the wing root is white on what appears to be both sides of the wing.  For now I just splashed some paint on there to see what I want to do.  Do you have any recommendations as to how to paint the underside?  OH and also wondering if you know where on the paintkit that little white strip is and where the cowl flap (or whatever those little doors are just in front of the main gear) are?

414underside by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Unfortunately there seems to be no identifiers of parts on any of the "paintkit" maps.  Also, I have no clue as to why each of the 9 templates are so freakin' enormous....there is no real useful data in them that would make them that large.  I've just made flat copies and reduced the size (for example) of the 1.3GB main fuse 😲 down to a reasonable 200mb...the entire "paintkit" is 6.37GB! (I have never seen one that large with so little data in it).

One tip I can offer if you haven't figured it out just yet (as FSW didn't even provide this info)... Map 07 is the RIGHT wing, and the winglets on that side are not mirrored, 05 is the left and mirrored ...a fact I had to load the plane in MSFS to find out.  This is the opposite behavior of the right and left tail textures....which is highly unusual (usually the left side is normal, and the right side is mirrored on all parts of the plane not mixed on a model....not this one)

If I happen to stumble onto parts on the maps I'll let everyone know here...but I'm not going to spend much time mapping these textures as the kit itself is a complete mess.  I really only wanted to clean up the dirt and grunge and paint 1 or 2 that I wanted to personally fly. 

Love the plane....not impressed with the paintkit. 🙄

Edited by Steve Dra
additional comments

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I cannot get to grips with Blender so I'm still using PS and previewing in the Hangar or in game. After doing loads of Carenados I've adopted a 'Detective' layer in PS. It's long winded but it does discover little bits like your u/c piece Ryan. If you already have a method for this read no further.

Make a layer, quarter it and make each quarter a luris colour. place it above you livery. Save the texture, preview it and the bit you're trying to find will be a lurid colour. Go back and resize the detective down to the 'lurid' colour. This puts four lurids in the space. Save, preview and said piece will be...lurid. It may be a different one. Repeat the process until you've located the little bugger!

Apologies if you already know how to suck eggs. Which is highly likely. But I have got it off my chest. 🙄

Different puppets...Same strings!

Oh I've seen a few images on the net with grids and letters - eventually ill probably try that...  Last night I was thinking "wow I'm almost done" hahaha and then I forgot the whole undercarriage.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Here is what I had to do to align the Reg on the break between the horz. stab and rudder....take some pics of the reg as it sits in the sim....put it over the existing text, then figure out where to cut the text and move it the proper amount of pixels...looks like about 20.

Sadly you can't just mirror it to the other side as the cut is in a different place.  A lot of work to get this just right. 😉 

0Yo62Y.png

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Tail done, fuse done, winglets done.  Now to the engines.🤪

zxMArK.png

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

11 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Here is what I had to do to align the Reg on the break between the horz. stab and rudder....take some pics of the reg as it sits in the sim....put it over the existing text, then figure out where to cut the text and move it the proper amount of pixels...looks like about 20.

Sadly you can't just mirror it to the other side as the cut is in a different place.  A lot of work to get this just right. 😉 

I knew you would absolutely nail that...  It looks perfect.

I'm still struggling with the underside of the nacelles - and getting them to the right size for top and bottom.  Let me know if you find where the nose gear model parts are....  I need to make that small arcing area over the nose wheel black.  I did find the cowl flap door and that little white stripe on the upper portion of the main gear doors:

51984296652_af3ca8e56c_b.jpgcowlfpa by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

51985365173_7cb2a3b21a_c.jpgwhitestripe by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Also trying to figure out what would be black on the underside of this engine?  Would all of the objects that my red arrows point to be black?

51985620274_d6c0c5f4a0_k.jpgWIP16_whatsblack by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I found a lot of the parts but still no luck on those rear cabin door straps, the nose wheel white portions, and the actual grates/vents just behind the cowl flap doors

51986066055_1538becb16_k.jpgWIP17_soclose by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Note to self...never do a curved paint again....  one day I hope to fix those nacelles....  the curves on the rear top looks like word not allowed

51984506727_5a021c4571_k.jpgWIP17_soclose2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

51985573328_c8d7627d63_k.jpgWIP17_soclose3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

51986065730_994425e113_k.jpgWIP17_soclose5 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |