Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Repainting the Flysimware 414

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

Hmmm...seem to be making better progress than I expected.   

@ryanbatc you might be getting your plain white textures to paint on sooner than we thought. 😉

You're a smart repainter guy - aside from me not lining up the stripes, not correctly placing the tail number yet...why would the front and back fuselage be different shades of colors?  I used identical colors but they are definitely different.  Any ideas why?  Is it something to do with the files?

(this is my second WIP btw)

EDIT:  DERP Rookie mistake lol...put the layers above the grime layer.  I actually will put both of them above all the stuff - will it screw up the paint later?  I want it to look like the rear section.  You wouldn't have worn paint with a paintjob like this.

51976245054_1f0885f3e8_k.jpgWIP1 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

19 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

You're a smart repainter guy - aside from me not lining up the stripes, not correctly placing the tail number yet...why would the front and back fuselage be different shades of colors?  I used identical colors but they are definitely different.  Any ideas why?  Is it something to do with the files?

(this is my second WIP btw)

EDIT:  DERP Rookie mistake lol...put the layers above the grime layer.  I actually will put both of them above all the stuff - will it screw up the paint later?  I want it to look like the rear section.  You wouldn't have worn paint with a paintjob like this.

WIP1 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

YEah layers above would do it.  Do you paint with Photoshop or another app?

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

37 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

YEah layers above would do it.  Do you paint with Photoshop or another app?

PS....ugh 1 hour and haven't even perfected the bottom two layers to match yet.... oh my gosh this is annoying!  Then I need to fix the rest of the curves on both sides and fix the black portion for goodness sakes...

51976597105_2bb75ebef2_h.jpgWIP3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For anyone interested, I've been following Rebuild Rescue as Jason tries to restore this essentially abandoned 1969 Cessna 401 to flightworthy condition.

Screenshot-2022-04-02-003139.jpg

It begins with a promise from the owner of "If you get an engine to run, it's yours" and goes from there. I'm not an engineer, nor a real world pilot, but I still find it interesting, even if I do watch a lot of it at 2x speed!😁The videos tend to be long but you may find some info of interest for flying the very similar 414.

First episode:

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I've got a TON more to do (those scary engine nacelles....)

But I've accomplished a lot today on this one!  It will definitely need @Steve Dra's shined and polished touch

51976241486_3a5787e363_k.jpgWIP4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 10

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

That is looking really really nice Ryan!

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

23 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I've got a TON more to do (those scary engine nacelles....)

But I've accomplished a lot today on this one!  It will definitely need @Steve Dra's shined and polished touch

51976241486_3a5787e363_k.jpgWIP4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Keep going. You are doing a fantastic job.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:03 PM, ryanbatc said:

It will definitely need @Steve Dra's shined and polished touch

Check you inbox here at Avsim. 😉 

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

16 hours ago, flemingl said:

Keep going. You are doing a fantastic job.

Thanks.  And especially thanks to @Steve Dra - for making the polished textures.  I will continue on the paint this week.

51979828381_e45fbe5a24_k.jpgWIP8_flying by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Ryan, if you fancy another livery to do, how about the one for the 401 I posted about above? You don't have to do it with all the bird poop and other 'weathering'!😁

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Here's the 1st "paint" I'm doing (hehe...painting the all-white was also a paint job, but now I'm going to make an actual paint)

This is the one I decided to do:

Still a WIP of course....much to do.

y1kI06.png

HLGOnI.png

8QGWUD.png

1DhOom.png

• Like 6

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Looks great... I haven't watched the video - but does the text on the right side of the plane actually tilt forward like that?  Typically they tilt back to give you a sense of motion.  Appears to be slightly bolder and larger on the actual plane as well.

At any rate, your amazing paint above has inspired me to not hit my PC with a hammer and press on with my own - those darn nacelles GRRRR.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

53 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

but does the text on the right side of the plane actually tilt forward like that

It does tilt back.(hehe...see what I did there with the tilt back text?....actually titled it back with italics) 🙂 ....the right side is usually the last to get done (for me) as I perfect the left side first, then duplicate and flip it to the right...that text you see on the right is just a placeholder to check the mirrored/not mirrored status of the tail (Right IS mirrored, as are the LEFT winglets!!)

Bolder yes, larger, yes.  1st run in the sim to check placement and mirroring 😉   Once the left side text is perfect, the right will be a copy/mirrored version.

You never told me if you're using Photoshop.  If you are....tilting the text in the opposite direction is easy by using Transform/Skew

7i6BTv.png

Making the fancy-looking Reg numbers is also "easy" when you know a few PS tricks....like adding a "Stroke" to your text (in this case on the outside of the text.)  I just made it white, 3 pixels.  The "drop shadow" is just the text duplicated and offset, and painted black. 😉 EDIT: And the layer is moved under the main text layer of course...hehe.

zzUnFW.png

Keep plugging away....painting is a great hobby, and the more you learn, the more you want to learn....and there is SOOOOOO much to learn (I only use about 20% of Photoshop's capabilities)

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 minute ago, Steve Dra said:

It does tilt back.(hehe...see what I did there with the tilt back text?....actually titled it back with italics) 🙂 ....the right side is usually the last to get done (for me) as I perfect the left side first, then duplicate and flip it to the right...that text you see on the right is just a placeholder to check the mirrored/not mirrored status of the tail (Right IS mirrored, as are the LEFT winglets!!)

Bolder yes, larger, yes.  1st run in the sim to check placement and mirroring 😉   Once the left side text is perfect, the right will be a copy/mirrored version.

You never told me if you're using Photoshop.  If you are....tilting the text in the opposite direction is easy by using Transform/Skew

Making the fancy-looking Reg numbers is also "easy" when you know a few PS tricks....like adding a "Stroke" to your text (in this case on the outside of the text.)  I just made it white, 3 pixels.  The "drop shadow" is just the text duplicated and offset, and painted black. 😉 

Oh yes I'm happy to learn tricks of the trade from the master hehe!  I am using PS as well.  I have added some fx to my text its hard to see though its always in the rear of of screenshots.  I think its impossible to get the exact tail registration unless you A) have the exact font or b) hand make the reg - im not at that level - so i try to get very close.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

22 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Thanks.  And especially thanks to @Steve Dra - for making the polished textures.  I will continue on the paint this week.

51979828381_e45fbe5a24_k.jpgWIP8_flying by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Thank god for these efforts.  Looking good Ryan!  Somebody, please, do the cockpit!!

Edited by Gregg_Seipp
  • Like 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM