Sign in to follow this  
sobor

Fly By Wire APU not working

I am unable to turn oh the APU.  I start with the aircraft cold and dark at the gate open the EFB and load the sim flight information; load the fuel and move to the overhead panel where I turn on the battery and wait until the battery stabilises. Then turn on all the fuel pumps. I wait a while, prob a minute or two then press "Master sw" on the start overhead panel but it will not activate the APU start button. I have tried many different situations and re-loaded the aircraft but the APU still will not start. Is there something I am missing? 

Edited by sobor
error

3 minutes ago, sobor said:

I am unable to turn oh the APU.  I start with the aircraft cold and dark at the gate open the EFB and load the sim flight information; load the fuel and move to the overhead panel where I turn on the battery and wait until the battery stabilises. Then turn on all the fuel pumps. I wait a while, prob a minute or two then press "Master sw" on the start overhead panel but it will not activate the APU start button. I have tried many different situations and re-loaded the aircraft but the APU still will not start. Is there something I am missing? 

You don't need the fuel pumps for the APU, but anyway: You have to click the APU start button after the Master sw button. First the upper one, than the lower one. The lower one will turn from blue to green when APU has started.

APU ok here.

Which version of FBW are you using?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I got mine to turn on earlier and for the most part I don't know what on earth I'm doing. Just learning the airliners

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I have tried all versions. The problems start with the battery switches. At first, the left will not start but the right will. I wait several minutes and the left switch will then start and turn on. The APU master is slow to turn on but eventually does but the APU start button does not. I can shortcut the problem with the battery switches by turning on the external power but this is not correct as the batteries should not depend upon the external power. 

10 hours ago, sobor said:

I have tried all versions. The problems start with the battery switches. At first, the left will not start but the right will. I wait several minutes and the left switch will then start and turn on. The APU master is slow to turn on but eventually does but the APU start button does not. I can shortcut the problem with the battery switches by turning on the external power but this is not correct as the batteries should not depend upon the external power. 

Can you give this a shot and let us know if it resolves the issue?

https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/support/reported-issues/#autopilot-fadec-electrical-systems-not-working-as-intended-utf8-issue

• Like 1

Please do not contact me via DM for support or help with the A32NX mod. We recommend using our help channel on our Discord.

Make a Clean Install ...

Fetch their latest installer / updater and then, and after having wipped all content from the previous FBW install from your Community folder, reinstall the aircraft.

Could it be be caused by some incompatibility with other addons ?

I never experienced the problem you describe, and I have used all three versions of the FBW ( stab , dev, exp ).

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Look at your hardware and key binding

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Changing to use "Beta: Use UTF-8 for worldwide language support" did not work. Now will repeat the removal of installation and reinstall with the new installer. Did not work last time but maybe will this! Also will Key bind hardware.

Removed installer and all versions of FBW A320 then reinstalled from scratch. I set up my MS2020 as per the BBW instructions and the following are the steps I have taken without getting the APU to start.

1. Open Simbrief and develop a flight plan. I have the Modern flight model selected. 
2. Changed back to DX 11
3. Removed and reinstalled the installer and the development version of the FBW A320
4. Open MS 2020 and select FBW A320 without extra liveries and an empty community file except for the FBW aircraft.
5. Start at Gate; cold and dark.
6. I open the Fly Bag and enter the flight plan and information including the fuel loading. 
7. Open the overhead panel and press "Bat 1" and nothing happens.
8. Press "Bat 2" and the "off" sign shows in the battery two only. 
9.  Turn on the APU "master SW" which stays on
10. Press APU "Start". No action for the APU but a "fault" indicator shows in the Maser SW.
11. If I select Ext power number 1 battery will then start but APU nothing happens even after waiting a while.
12. If I turn off the external power the main Batteries turn off and the aircraft goes dead. 
What am I missing? 

7. Open the overhead panel and press "Bat 1" and nothing happens.
8. Press "Bat 2" and the "off" sign shows in the battery two only

Hmmm, then it was already ON for some reason....

Make sure the "Off" goes off by clicking Bat 2 again... Then proceed from there.

Good reference flow here: https://youtu.be/LMX8bq3wzX4?t=501

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

How can it be on and how can you tell as all instruments are cold and dark until I turn on the external power? 

5 minutes ago, sobor said:

How can it be on and how can you tell as all instruments are cold and dark until I turn on the external power? 

If you have the "Off" light, something is already powering it... Just get rid of it because otherwise you will proceed with Bat 2 OFF, and that way your APU will not start. If at any moment you see Off on either battery, then by all means press it again so that it get's On.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

When you first load the aircraft and set it up at the gate is the battery on? The beginners guide says in the power-up section point "1. Bat 1 and 2: ON (chimes)". When I press Battery the white light "off" lights in the second battery box. I don't hear any chimes.

click on it, clear the "Off" ( Airbus logic is OK if not lighted in the OHP ), proceed to your APU start:

Airbus A320 - From Cold and Dark to Ready for Taxiing - YouTube

I have had the same quirk recently - start MFS, get the FBW NEO which is set to  load as Cold & Dark ( although it always shows the External Poer as available even if I have not selected it through the iPad ), and sometimes it looks like both batteries were already loaded in the On state, or at least "Bat 2".

It's strange, I agree with you, but I apply the "fix" by simply clicking a 2nd time on the Bat 2 button to clear the "Off" light.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig: