Sign in to follow this  
smoothchat

req: FlightPlan Renton USA to Australia

Anyone got an idea how they get 737's from Renton USA to Australia?

What routes do they use?

I'm trying to realistically replicate the flights required to fly the new PMDG 737 from it's birthplace to Australia and Simbrief says the 737 doesn't have the range to fly the Pacific, even with a Fiji or Vanuatu stop over.

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

2000 miles Renton to Honolulu, 2000 more to Fiji, 2000 more to Sydney. I think some airline probably does a route like that.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

From a former Boeing employee:

Assuming this question is how do you fly an short range aircraft to a long range destination, let me share a story. When I was still in high school (1970) I got to visit on a band new Boeing 737- 100 that was undergoing pilot familiarity training at Moses Lake, Washington (Grant County Airport) for an Australian airline that is no longer in business. As they showed me around the plane I noticed in the passenger area that instead of seats was a huge rubber bladder. When I asked about it they told me it was filled with fuel and the pilots stated they intended to fly straight through from Moses Lake to Sydney, Australia to take the airplane to its new home. This version of the 737 was intended for short hauls and use on “under developed runways” in the outback. So the way they intended to fly a normally 2500 mile range plane 8,000 miles was to fill her up with a lot of extra fuel.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

This is (almost) exactly what these guys do! From Brisbane to Arizona via Honiara (Solomon Island) and Honolulu. Part three of the series tackles the return flights to AUS via Honolulu and Majuro. Really cool channel!

Edited by psychedelic_tortilla

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

I have no idea what routes they use, but Alaska flies the 800 to hawaii, and the 700 has a longer range, so that would probably be the first leg, then there's any number of places that you could use as a second, including fiji.  Also in a ferry configuration, with no passengers, and temporary aux fuel tanks,  there's plenty of things that an airline can do that simbrief (and the sim itself) might not be designed to compute.  There was an interesting episode of ice pilots where they ferried 2 low range CL-215 fire bombers across the atlantic via the Azores with temporary aux tanks.

Quantas or whomever needs to flood American TV about how wonderful and beautiful the Solomon Islands and Fiji are !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Virgin Australia normal delivery route is Boeing Field BFI, Honolulu HNL, Nadi NAN, Brisbane BNE.  Thats from experience.

• Like 4

I did something similar a long time ago "deliverying" Captain Sim 727 to Brisbane.  This time around thinking might take the long route through Europe and Asia to "Down Under".  Long flights over water get a bit dull, unless you cheat with time compression.....