Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

FSimStudios Cancun and Ai problems

I bought this airport last year and have generally been very pleased with it. The only problem I'm having is the number of AIG Ai arriving and having to go-around because the arrivals are so tightly packed at peak times.

1200:1400 local is one. The number of go-arounds is excessive. To alleviate this I have closed 12L / 30R for landings. The airport layout is the problem with no exits around the middle of the runway. I've changed the AFCAD to departures only for that runway. 12R / 30L is now landings only as there are lots of exits along the runway.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so this solution may help especially if you have lots of AIG Ai.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so this solution may help especially if you have lots of AIG Ai.

Hi Ray

For me that´s a well known problem for big airports. With two parallel runways, it is always possible to configure it the way you described. Sometimes I do just one runway, usually the longer, for landings and the other only take offs. But often, like with MMUN I do it mixed cause a no landing was already given by FSIM. It works fine here with full AIG and some other MAIW and personal files

If anyone is interested in the modifed afcad file for the nostatic version: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qpLYD7fn2XoqLjfLPaob_2Jupn2YSi5V/view?usp=sharing

Dan

P.S. Also fixed to not matching hold shorts and added two missing taxiways. 

Edited by blaunarwal
  • Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

@blaunarwal, I’ll try those tomorrow, thanks. But any landings on 12L/30R are going to take a long time to exit. Unless you’ve added extra exits. Hence why I switched landings to the other runway.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

49 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But any landings on 12L/30R are going to take a long time to exit

This runway has only 3 exits and I made it landing 12L and Takeoff 30R. Today´s weather let the AI landing on 12L and I had the takeoffs at 12R. If it turns, they will land 30 L and takeoff 30R. That should work.

The exits I added where the additional branches at C4 and C5 which were missing. Maybe the designer left them away because of redundance. But I like it perfect. 

Dan

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The only problem I'm having is the number of AIG Ai arriving and having to go-around because the arrivals are so tightly packed at peak times

Download and run AIFlow and AIGround:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=aiflow&CatID=root

In the .ini files you can change parameters to affect the AI spacing in the air, put some AI into holding patterns, increase/decrease the AI braking scalar, etc.

Works in v4 and v5.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

11 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

This runway has only 3 exits and I made it landing 12L and Takeoff 30R. Today´s weather let the AI landing on 12L and I had the takeoffs at 12R. If it turns, they will land 30 L and takeoff 30R. That should work.

The exits I added where the additional branches at C4 and C5 which were missing. Maybe the designer left them away because of redundance. But I like it perfect. 

Dan

I’ll check things out tomorrow. What time of day did you use for checking inbounds? I picked 12:00 local which is busy. I use Ai Companion to monitor movements.

8 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Download and run AIFlow and AIGround:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=aiflow&CatID=root

In the .ini files you can change parameters to affect the AI spacing in the air, put some AI into holding patterns, increase/decrease the AI braking scalar, etc.

Works in v4 and v5.

Does that require configuring for each airport? I have read about it before but held back as it seems labour intensive. I have too many airports to tailor each one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Does that require configuring for each airport? I have read about it before but held back as it seems labour intensive. I have too many airports to tailor each one.

No, this is a different set of programs to the one you are thinking. Set-and-forget for all airports.

Worth putting both programs onto non-critical CPU cores, as they can take up a bit of processing power if you have serious amounts of AI aircraft active.
I put both AIFlow and AIGround on the final two of my 16-thread CPU and limit the number of AI in holds to 10 in the AIFlow.ini file.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 minutes ago, F737NG said:

No, this is a different set of programs to the one you are thinking. Set-and-forget for all airports.

Worth putting both programs onto non-critical CPU cores, as they can take up a bit of processing power if you have serious amounts of AI aircraft active.
I put both AIFlow and AIGround on the final two of my 16-thread CPU and limit the number of AI in holds to 10 in the AIFlow.ini file.

I’ve definitely used those two before but on a WideFS PC. Perhaps I didn’t configure them correctly but didn’t notice any significant difference.

The problem at Cancun is the majority of arrivals occur in a six hour period. That, together with the imperfect Ai makes exiting the active runway a bit of a lottery. Stupid Ai just taxi past a high-speed exit and lumber along to the next one. During that time the next inbound has gone around. 🤨

The same doesn’t happen at Heathrow. 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What time of day did you use for checking inbounds?

My time was 10:59 but I will test again, next time at 12 o'clock. It is fun to takeoff on rwy 12R, turn right and come back on rwy 12L for a landing. At least on my time I had no planes overtaking me or on the runway, when I approached. I don't use any tools to regulate traffic. I have AIG Traffic Controller and .bgl traffic on my system. 

Dan

16 hours ago, F737NG said:

How do you accomplish that? I have been using AIFlow and AIGround for a long time now and it works great. I haven't seen a go around in a while.

16 minutes ago, Samaritano said:

How do you accomplish that? I have been using AIFlow and AIGround for a long time now and it works great. I haven't seen a go around in a while.

Two ways to do this:

1. Download and install Process Lasso. You can set the affinity in the program for each AI app task to specific threads on your CPU.

2. Open Windows Task Manager. On the details tab, when both AI apps are running, you can set the affinity for each task to certain threads on your CPU.
    Unlike Process Lasso, the processor affinity setting is not remembered after you shut down your PC. The only way to make it remember (until you install an MS Windows update) is to download and use Prio – Process Priority Saver. It doesn't run as a program like Process Lasso, rather it just remembers your processor affinity setting in Windows.

Process Lasso was great, but after I upgraded to my previous Ryzen 3700X CPU, it kept crashing my PC.

Test to see which works best for you.

@F737NG, many thanks for the AiFlow recommendation. I've started it and located to MMUN at 12:00 yesterday. 32 runways in use.

Instead of multiple Ai being generated on approach and all too close to one another AiFlow is sticking them into a hold and releasing when relevant to do so. Even after a few minutes the benefits of it are obvious.

@blaunarwal, I would suggest you give AiFlow a try. Depends on how many airlines you have but with as many as me the arrivals are clumping togaether. I also have BGLs for the majority of my airlines.

@Samaritano, if you use SimStarterNG AiFlow can be configured to use a particular virtual core.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I would suggest you give AiFlow a try.

I tried AIFlow long time ago, when it was first published and it did not work at all. It may have improved since then a lot but I do not really need it.

I tried today at 12:00 local time and yes, if I already had landing clearance and had to go around, then some ai flyers had to go around because of me, holding the hole process. But that´s a shortcoming of the traffic control MS programmed for FSX.

What  I saw, there were three default windsocks coming through, so I added exclusions for these on my modification. If anyone like to use my mod, please redownload and replace files.

28 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

But that´s a shortcoming of the traffic control MS programmed for FSX.

What  I saw, there were three default windsocks coming through, so I added exclusions for these on my modification. If anyone like to use my mod, please redownload and replace files.

Let’s hope LM do something about improving Ai in 5.4 whenever that might appear.

I haven’t noticed the windsock issue.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/16/2022 at 9:09 PM, blaunarwal said:

Dan

i wish you would offer your skills/services to aerosoft and orbxs.  they need it.

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png