Sign in to follow this  
TomCYYZ

Fenix "A LOCK" Showing ON ECAM; AP NOT ENGAGING

You have met the protection which prevents the plane from stalling. The plane will eventually go into Alpha Lock (A-Lock), fixing TOGA thrust and limiting your pitch. Indeed, you will be unable to retract the flaps in that state if you'd stall otherwise. The correct procedure is to lower the nose to gain speed. Note that the plane is in full TOGA thrust. Once you are in normal speed range, toggle the A/T to get rid of A-Lock, and go to CLB.

Edited by flyingpauls
  • Like 3

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

13 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have never had a problem with takeoff trim that I set in the MCDU , all the way from dn0.4 to up0.9

The trim value entered in the THS field on the PERF page is purely advisory. The Airbus doesn't do anything with it. You do not set takeoff trim by entering this value, it's solely for crew information (some airline SOPs don't even have the crew enter it - EZY/EJU/EZS for example).

T/O trim is set by moving the trim wheel prior to departure. 

Edited by psychedelic_tortilla
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

14 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

The real A320 Pilot in his videos mentions it, and I have seen it on the Discord page more than once. I used to set the trim by hand, until I read that. I will have to experiment with that on next takeoff to see if it really moves the trim wheel. 

320 Sim Pilot manually sets the trim and skips THS. For me 320 Sim Pilot is THE MAN to listen to. I have based me 'to do list' purely on his video's alone. 

13 hours ago, TomCYYZ said:

Just to confirm, I distinctly recall glancing down at the trim wheel just before takeoff, that the trim was indicating DN 0.0, the value I entered into the MCDU.

Probably because 0.0 is default...? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The widebody Airbus aircraft will use the THS entry to automatically set trim. The narrow bodies do not. So, entering something into the THS value in the PERF page doesn't really do anything. You must set the trim using the trim wheel. Of course, it defaults to 0.0 which is inside the "green band" - meaning it will be acceptable for takeoff, but not quite just right.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Aamir Thacker

Generally for setting take off thrust just think two clicks up (idle to FLX MCT) then when you get the LVR CLB message one click down to CLB.  Don’t touch the throttles again until you hear the “retard” command just before landing.

This will work and keep you going for the vast majority of normal flights unless you need to take off in TOGA mode (not too frequent of an occurrence) in which case it’s three clicks up, two down.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 5/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, ShawnG said:

That’s fine, but also entering it into the Mcdu doesn’t actually set the trim.  You have to do that manually with the wheel.

For moving the trim wheel according to flaps setting the engines must be running.