Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Looking for any i5-12600K Users for advice Please

Good evening all,

I just went to pickup my new motherboard (MSI Pro Z690-A) and CPU, I originally went with the intention of picking up the i7-12700K and after a long chat with a very knowledgeable sales guy who I have dealt with before I actually came away with the i5-12600K. He asked me what I was planning to do with my new build and I told him it was exclusively for MSFS 2020 with some video editing using Davinici resolve. He was in the same boat last year and was ready to buy the i7-12700K but went for the i5-12600K and a 3070TI instead and it handles every game he throws at it with ease as well as streaming at the same time. He could easily just have sold me the more expensive CPU but he chose to take the time to talk with me and find out what my usage will be, that is a huge plus in my books. I already purchased a EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080TI which I am super happy with.

I have 14 days to decide whether or not I want to change the CPU to the i7, I am not planning on opening everything for the next few days. The dilemma I am having is will I suffer from buyers remorse if I keep the i5 over the i7? On paper single core performance between the two is almost nothing but here in Canada the i7 is around $150 plus taxes more.

I would love to hear from anyone who has the i5-12600K with either a 3080/3080TI and what your experience has been. When I brought my current CPU in 2019 it was then rated as an all round good choice for gaming and to be fair has performed really well, it overclocked out of the box @ 5Ghz and hasn't missed a beat since.

I really am torn lol this is one of the hardest upgrades decisions I have had to make so please help me 🙂 

Richard

Edited by RJC68

Richard

My Rig: i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | EVGA FTW3 3080TI | 1TB WD Blue NMVE (MSFS 2020) | 1X 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Black Conventional | TCL 43" 4K TV |

According to this recent review, which shows results for both processors you mention, there is not much in it at 1080p (roughly 3-5% in favour of the i7), which would be even less at higher resolutions. Whether that is worth the price difference is up to you.

i9 10850K - RTX 3080 10GB - 32GB 3200MHz RAM - 1TB NVME SSD - FS2020 @ 4K Ultra / HP Reverb G2 High/ Ultra - Windows 11