Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Can animals communicate telepathically?

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

Nothing extraordinary going on there...  ...They aren't communicating with some telepathic link, its a pre conceived, practiced plan. 

First - thanks for the info on GCP.  I'll look into that later.  It sounds fascinating.

Second - You have no idea that there isn't a telepathic link.  You have no evidence to say that. Anything that happens that is not simply and immediately explainable could be said to be 'extraordinary' and until we know everything, we can't say anything definitive and that includes what something is not.  'Extraordinary'  only refers to things we don't fully understand and it would be a great disservice to the truth to be trapped by present understanding.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

12 hours ago, birdguy said:

Out here we have aspen tree groves.  They share a common root system.  Since they are living things it seems possible they can communicate with each other or at least collectively.

Noel

There’s something going on.

In my backyard I have a 24 year old silk tree, 30’ plus tall. It will occasionally send out roots and a new plant will start. They require a lot of sun and high temps to send out flowers. You’ll see these on freeway medians and shoulders; tough trees.

I have  two sixty foot camphors, a 40’ white birch, three 100’ redwoods in my backyard, very little light-on-ground available. There’s  a 3x3 space close to the fence that gets sun about six hours a day. 

That silk tree ran a root to that patch and started a new tree sprout at that spot, no where else. Somehow that tree detected a higher heat value in the soil that translated to sunshine. My wife said pull that sprout out. I said no way. It’s five feet tall now and doing well.

17 hours ago, martin-w said:

"mycorrhizal network"

I did some reading on that it's pretty cool to be honest, never underestimate any living thing

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

12 hours ago, sightseer said:

You have no idea that there isn't a telepathic link. 

I can't prove that the chair in my kitchen isn't an almighty, omnipotent deity either. And I can't prove that my cat isn't really an alien from the planet ziggledobble. And I can't prove there aren't fairies at the bottom of my garden. But what I can do is consider plausibility, probability and if there's any evidence. And in the case of animals using telepathy to hunt I see no evidence for its existance. Unless you have some to show me.

Not a good idea to "believe" without sufficient, quality evidence. My feeling is that you have a psychological bias and always lean towards belief.

12 hours ago, sightseer said:

Anything that happens that is not simply and immediately explainable could be said to be 'extraordinary'

An animals capability to hunt IS simply and immediately explainable. 

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

My feeling is that you have a psychological bias and always lean towards belief.

That's probably because there is evidence of psychic phenomena for anyone not biased against looking.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

16 minutes ago, sightseer said:

That's probably because there is evidence of psychic phenomena for anyone not biased against looking.

Like what?

Is your definition of "evidence" looser than it should be?

Maybe those that "look" are biased in favour. Maybe they are suffering from cognitive bias and only pay attention to information that confirms their beliefs.

I'm not biased for or against. 

Edited by martin-w

Martin, we are all biased one way or the other.  To say you're not biased for or against means that you have not examined the evidence closely enough to say it slants one way or the other.  It always does no matter how weak the evidence is.

Several years my wife woke up in the middle of the night and said, "Tammy's outside."  Tammy was our second oldest daughter.  My wife said she was awakened when she heard Tammy call out, "Mom!"

Two days later we were notified that Tammy had died that night of a drug overdose alone in a motel room 200 miles away in Albuquerque.

Had she called out 'Mom' telepathically?  Maybe.  I slant towards telepathy in certain circumstances.  If telepathy exists can we control it?  Maybe some few people can but certainly not all of us.

I don't think any of us are neutral...not biased for or against.  Our personal bias one way or the other might not be strong enough to admit it so we say we are not biased for or against.  But some small part of us does harbor some small bias.

Noel 

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Back in my twenties, I had a similar experience.

I had worked for years without missing a day. For some reason, I called in sick for the first time, called my buddies and we drove off to Mount Tam above the fog in the sunshine. Put towels out on the hood of the ‘66 Riviera Grand Sport and the ‘67 Goat and started enjoying the sunshine.

I had a dream the night before that I was talking to a girl in front of a two story grey house with a white 3’ fence out front. Led Zepplin song playing in the background which I have forgotten now.

Two young ladies show up (no one else in the parking lot except us) both windows down, radio playing. Yup, same song playing on their radio. Wasn’t too taken back, could be coincidence. They pulled up a couple of parking slots to the right. I look over and tell Mike, “That looks like the girl in my dream last night!”

I promptly flew off the hood of the car run over and ask the driver, “Do you live in a two story grey house with a white fence out front?”

”Yeah, why?”

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Martin, we are all biased one way or the other.  To say you're not biased for or against means that you have not examined the evidence closely enough to say it slants one way or the other.  It always does no matter how weak the evidence is.

Prior to looking at the evidence, I was unbiased, I simply didn't know. Now, having looked at the evidence I see some studies for and some against, I also see metanalysis where the studies were of dubious quality So essentially, I haven't seen any evidence to shove me off the fence in any direction. It doesn't always slant one way or the other. There may be more studies suggesting valid or more studies suggesting invalid but scientifically a significant consensus is required and there is no significant consensus currently. Not that I've seen anyway. 

Sorry but I'm not prepared to say yes or no to telepathy/precognition etc. I simply don't know. Same for UFO's being alien craft or weird spiritual beings. 

I would say all of us should be on the fence until a very significant number of studies are done and the majority tell us one way or the other.

Having said the above, I guess if you asked me to rate the chances of some UFO's being alien craft, I'd say 90% against, so I suppose you will say that's a bias. In terms of telepathy precognition I'd say 50/50 though. I might change my mind tomorrow. 🙂

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Several years my wife woke up in the middle of the night and said, "Tammy's outside."  Tammy was our second oldest daughter.  My wife said she was awakened when she heard Tammy call out, "Mom!"

Two days later we were notified that Tammy had died that night of a drug overdose alone in a motel room 200 miles away in Albuquerque.

Had she called out 'Mom' telepathically?  Maybe.  I slant towards telepathy in certain circumstances.  If telepathy exists can we control it?  Maybe some few people can but certainly not all of us.

Noel that's a dreadful experience. So sorry to hear that. 

Two answers to that. Yes it was a telepathic communication or it was coincidence. One day we may know one way or the other. 

I've mentioned before about my experience with a friend that arrived at my house, hadn't seen him for  a few years and he arrived at my door, all details as Id imagined a few seconds before. Precognition or coincidence, who knows. 

32 minutes ago, newtie said:

Do you live in a two story grey house with a white fence out front?

How many houses like that are there in the US what percentage fit that description? 😁

3 hours ago, newtie said:

we drove off to Mount Tam

I've driven to the top of Mt Tamalpais and I've hiked to the top of Mt Tamalpais.  My last year of high school we lived in Mill Valley.  I graduated from Tamalpais High School.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Are you a local Marin County boy? 🙂
I grew up in San Rafael on the water.

Edited by newtie
Edit

No, not a local Marin boy.  I'm a local San Francisco boy.  We moved to Mill Valley for my last year of high school.  Then I joined the Marines.  When I got out I lived with my folks for a while and got an apartment in Sausalito.  That was in the mid 50s.  Learned to fly at Commodore Center.  Then I joined the Air Force and never went back.

My brother lived in Novato.

Noel