Sign in to follow this  
Falconjet112

Visibility in Live Weather Mode

It's time we had a dedicated 'visibility in live weather mode' thread!

I'm a IRL pilot. Live weather is excellent however ever since launch, visibility in live weather mode is always unlimited. Visibility never changes!

I'm fed up of flying in almost unlimited visibility. 

Surely by now, visibility from the meteoblue model can be implemented in the SIM in live weather mode. Everything else (clouds, winds, temperatures) is! 

Please Asobo, model visibility changes in the atmosphere in live weather mode! 

I've created a thread in the MS forum: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/visibility-in-live-weather-mode/528186

That's odd. Do you have any specific example? I just used https://www.badbadweather.com/visibility/K to find a US airport (KMCI) with poor visibility and spawned the PMDG 737 on one of the runways. The observed visibility was plausibly the 1.25 sm reported in the METAR.

It sounds like you are getting real weather in the METAR, so it's hard to understand why you're not seeing the corresponding visibility. Suffice it to say, yours doesn't seem to be a universal experience. Perhaps some more specific observations and a screen shot or two might help.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I am a real life pilot too plus many  hundreds of thousands of miles on commercial flights. , and vis is usually pretty realistic. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

I'm not seeing this issue either. 

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Falconjet112 said:

It's time we had a dedicated 'visibility in live weather mode' thread!

I'm a IRL pilot. Live weather is excellent however ever since launch, visibility in live weather mode is always unlimited. Visibility never changes!

I'm fed up of flying in almost unlimited visibility. 

Surely by now, visibility from the meteoblue model can be implemented in the SIM in live weather mode. Everything else (clouds, winds, temperatures) is! 

Please Asobo, model visibility changes in the atmosphere in live weather mode! 

I've created a thread in the MS forum: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/visibility-in-live-weather-mode/528186

Totally agree! Once you're up a certain altitude you always have visibility from horizon to horizon in the sim.

I miss those humid days when you barely see anything descending down into the smog.

I remember flying over China and barely got to see anything for hours due to haze.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I somewhat agree with the OP. All the METARS in USA are 10SM, unless for some reason it is less then it is represented in the SIM. Otherwise visibility is pretty much unlimited (outside of METAR areas and outside of rain bands).

There is an air quality issue is more what I think is missing/broken. Hot humid days are not represented well, nor are smog/smoke and other air quality factors.

I cannot sit at a large city airport such as KMIA and see every star in the night sky in the real world on pretty much any given night (due to light pollution and usual high humidity especially this time of the year). Yet in MSFS I can see every star in the galaxy.

Like most meteorology related items in MSFS, air quality / visibility needs quite a bit of work yet IMO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KERNEL32 said:

I somewhat agree with the OP. All the METARS in USA are 10SM, unless for some reason it is less then it is represented in the SIM. Otherwise visibility is pretty much unlimited (outside of METAR areas and outside of rain bands).

There is an air quality issue is more what I think is missing/broken. Hot humid days are not represented well, nor are smog/smoke and other air quality factors.

I cannot sit at a large city airport such as KMIA and see every star in the night sky in the real world on pretty much any given night (due to light pollution and usual high humidity especially this time of the year). Yet in MSFS I can see every star in the galaxy.

Like most meteorology related items in MSFS, air quality / visibility needs quite a bit of work yet IMO. 

Aren't METAR including info about Temperature and dewpoint? Which if i recall correctly might be taken into account when depicting visibility in MSFS.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I'm unclear how MSFS or any other flight sim, etc., can assess local visibility without information from the corresponding airport METAR. In FAA land, the METAR visibility peaks at 10 statute miles, i.e., anything over 10 is still reported as 10. If I understand ICAO reports correctly, they max out at 10 km, above which the report is 9999. How does a flight simulator obtain accurate visibility data absent such information in the METARs? Where are such reports published?

PS Although humidity and visibility are correlated, another critical component in this equation is aerosol composition and density. Measuring these parameters and deducing their relationship to observed visibility is very much a subject of ongoing research.

Edited by jrw4
added PS

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Totally agree! Once you're up a certain altitude you always have visibility from horizon to horizon in the sim.

I miss those humid days when you barely see anything descending down into the smog.

I remember flying over China and barely got to see anything for hours due to haze.

Rex WeatherForce deals with the visibility issue.

16559506771638188649879221534760.jpg

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

21 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Rex WeatherForce deals with the visibility issue.

16559506771638188649879221534760.jpg

Yeah i know. But i'd prefer MSFS doing it 😉

Didn't we go down this path some months ago when so many of us were unhappy about the constant haze? I'm sure that Rex WF does it "right" at times, but is it always representative of the actual conditions?

Have a Happy Independence Day everyone.

• Like 1