Sign in to follow this  
jbcallender

MSFS Won't Startup

MSFS will not start - when staring, it takes me to the Microsoft Store - Gaming Services page, with no other options.  I am an owner of the Deluxe edition and have been since the day it came out.  I used used it as late as three or four days ago.  My system shows the app as being installed.  If I go to the store and bring up the MSFS2020 page, I click on "play" and nothing happens.  It doesn;t show as being "owned" when I've had startup issue in the past.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeff Callender

Same thing. MSFS started loading and told me about a mandatory update but showed the default location for an install. After I pointed it to my iinstall in E:\MSFS it continued on loading. Blue bar along the bottom went all the way across and has been sitting there approx 50 minutes. Task Manager shows CPU usage going up and down around 10%. Does not seem to be frozen.

I did not opt into the SU10 beta as I am having too much fun with the Neofly 4 beta and don't know if they're compatible yet. Only thing to change since yesterday is the 737 update to xxxxx.25 or whatever.

Later.... somehow my "Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe" folders all became unavailable and empty. Fortunately I had a backup of those data folders only one day old.

Lesson.... BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.  Copying those folders back into the "Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe" location took less then 2 minutes. Compared to ????????????????????

Edited by Twenty6
spellign

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, jbcallender said:

when staring

Stop staring. MSFS doesn’t like it 😉

ok on a more serious note. No idea but I remember that the gaming services were indeed updated a few days ago. Since it takes you there, did you update the gaming services as that may be required for MSFS?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Every so often and when I don't use MSFS for days, I go to the Microsoft Store to check for updates on critical utilities like Gaming Services or the Xbox App, and so on. As @DAD points out, there was an update of Gaming Services today in my latest checkup.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I don't know whether this is relevant to your current problem with starting the sim. But when I downloaded the SU10 beta yesterday, my default installation location had been changed for some odd reason. My previous installation location was the default location assigned at first installation in 2020.  

Edited by David Mills

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

12 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Every so often and when I don't use MSFS for days, I go to the Microsoft Store to check for updates on critical utilities like Gaming Services or the Xbox App, and so on. As @DAD points out, there was an update of Gaming Services today in my latest checkup.

Word of advice, don't go there while you are flying and hit the update button unless you want an instant CTD... Guess how I just found that out. ?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, David Mills said:

I don't know whether this is relevant to your current problem with starting the sim. But when I downloaded the SU10 beta yesterday, my default installation location had been changed for some odd reason. My previous installation location was the default location assigned at first installation in 2020.  

I'm not sure what happened and I'd like to say I screwed something up so I can avoid doing it again, but I'm 99% sure I didn't do anything. Now I'm more paranoid than usual. Backup of the MSFS data files saved my butt.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

44 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Word of advice, don't go there while you are flying and hit the update button unless you want an instant CTD... Guess how I just found that out. ?

Sure, always do it before launching MSFS, that's why it's a checkup.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

9 hours ago, DAD said:

Stop staring. MSFS doesn’t like it 😉

ok on a more serious note. No idea but I remember that the gaming services were indeed updated a few days ago. Since it takes you there, did you update the gaming services as that may be required for MSFS?

Errant fingers.....I'll check that out.  Thanks,

Jeff Callender

I believe i have found the fix to this.  Open up startup, then settings, then Apps.  Go to "Gaming Services"  click the three dots to the right and choose "advanced options", then choose "repair".  Mine started after doing this.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

Hello,

Check your internet connections, switch between WiFi or ethernet and vice versa.

I had this no start condition after initial loading and and switching internet connection solved this issue, even support were unable to diagnose it after lengthy procedure to reset every settings.

Thanking you,

Best regards,

Aftab.  

AFTAB HINGORO