Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

Hotstart CL650 Challenger

On 8/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, Bob Scott said:

It's a good, solid add-on, and it fills a gap that has existed for a long time in my simulator fleet.

I do have a few issues with it, though, which may or may not matter to others.

First, the developer has implemented a very nonstandard temperature compensation scheme in its internal altimetry system, which they claim is more accurate to the real world, but it results in the panel's measured altitude (used by the plane's instrumentation and automation) being different than that reported by the core X-Plane 11 simulation.  This results in the airplane's altitude differing--at times by more than several thousand feet--from what X-Plane is reporting via its datarefs to the outside world.  Where this makes for a big problem is if you use one of the offline ATC programs like Pilot2ATC or Radar Contact--they get the altitude reported by XP11 while you're flying at the panel-modified altitude, and so the controller gets quite unhappy with you for being way off your altitude.  Same goes for other external add-ons like X-ATC-Chatter, where you'll hear yourself reported as traffic at the wrong altitude.  The CL650 developer built in detection for some of the more popular online ATC clients for the VATSIM/IVAO/PilotEdge networks, and for them there is an option to turn off the altimetry corrections when an active connection on one of those select online ATC clients is detected, but the dev so far has arbitrarily opted not to offer the same options to those using offline ATC or other external add-ons.  I had to resort to a hack to trick the panel into detecting a non-existent faked VATSIM client in order to force the panel to play nice with Radar Contact offline ATC.

Second, the add-on is heavily oriented towards flying full "career mode" mission scenarios--in fact some features do not work unless you're flying the full profile starting with checking in at the FBO, preflight, etc.  If you want to just jump in and get going using the "non-persistent" versus full-monty "career" mode, there are some limitations.

Last, the documentation is really pretty sparse.  Be prepared to go on a hunt for the detailed info needed to understand/operate the systems, particularly the fairly complex ProLine 21 avionics suite.

Hi Bob,

According to the developer, on this specific Offline ATC issue you mention with the custom Temperature Compensation Altimetry, it will probably be solved with XP12, as Laminar have implemented it's own system, so any Addon, including Offline ATC softwares, will be fed with this kind of data. The good news is that it will be a Global implementation, so everything on the Simulation will be fed the same information, which doesnt happen in XP11, because the Challenger has it's own system, and it needs code specific for each addon you want to use. Not practical at all, it cant bruteforce its data into XP.

Regards!

Edited by Alec
  • Like 1

Alexis Mefano

I was thinking about the Online ATC services that will still be problematic to deal with when people are flying other sims in the same area....

They receive geometrric altitude instead of barometric because that allows them to detect inconsistencies in the altimeter settings used in the aircraft under control.

Now, this will always differ from what MFS and XP12 report ( MFS already models the effect of temperature on geopotential height, and if it was not accurate at the beginning they meanwhile fixed it and appears to be ok now ) but other flightsims, like previous versions of MS FS, P3D, XP11, will still present a problem...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

This aircraft is pretty much the only reason I switched to X-Plane.  And I don't know if I can go back to P3d at this point.  I've learned to really like Xplane and this aircraft.  Look forward to future add-ons similar to this one!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Carl Thompson

On 8/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, jcomm said:

I was thinking about the Online ATC services that will still be problematic to deal with when people are flying other sims in the same area....

There is a selection item in the 'Networking' tab section of 'User Settings' for the CL 650 to disable this for online clients.

• Like 2

Founder of X-Aviation

On 8/23/2022 at 7:07 PM, Joe L said:

<edit quote>

One of the best investments I have made.

Joe

I agree.   For me, this aircraft is a dream come true.  I love the Biz Jet space; resurrected X-plane 11 just to fly it.  Looking forward to XP12 of course, but for now, I'm totally into it.  I bought it Sept 15th and haven't flown anything else at all (in any Sim). 

I didn't think there would be a plane that would push MSFS's BAe146 and PMDG 737 outta the way, but it sure did.  

The way I look at it, it costs roughly twice what a lesser priced aircraft would cost.  But I'm getting ten times the enjoyment out of it, and it is true study level so it's a bargain.

I do use career mode, but after running through the "FBO/walk around stand prep" portion, I save states that I can reuse quickly if I need to get a quick flight in.  Ready for takeoff, ready for approach, etc.. 

What an incredible product.  Stunning.

Edited by Mike7777
  • Like 5

Can’t stop flying it. Today I ordered the deicing truck for the first time. Very impressive. They put so much love into that product. Well done and once again, worth every cent.

• Like 4

I did buy this and am very impressed. It does take time to get to become familiar with it and feel I have just scratched the surface. I’ve found how to bypass the FBO as described in the forums. The sense of immersion is really enjoyable as is the challenge of learning it. I can see how people are so taken by it. Some of the best money I have spent on a sim aircraft. Looking forward to the XP12 version when available. Thanks for all opinions expressed.