Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Pacific Fjords - Landing in CZST/Stewart (Part II)...

This is continuation (from the previous post) of my short ~120 nms adventure trip in the Pacific Fjords. In this part, I approach and land on Rwy 36 of Stewart (CZST), the endpoint of my adventure. The last ~10 nms (or so) into CZST, is, almost, a straight-in (northward) approach to Rwy 36, tracking the centerline of the Portland Canal, which is actually a deglaciated fjord that extends south-southwest from the township of Stewart, and forms part of the borderline between U.S. (Alaska) and Canada (B.C).

BTW, I am rather familiar with CZST (Stewart)...I mean virtually, of course...🙂...thanks to Orbx. From my (virtual) experience; though one has to be indeed careful in the final approach to CZST (especially without the benefit of any Navaids/LOC/ILS type signaling guidance, at this airport), if one pays sufficient attention to the encroaching mountains on both the sides (especially those on RHS), see screenshots below, it's not a difficult task...in normal weather and visibility i.e., Of course...look who is talking here from the comfort of the easy-chair...🙂...so, please take these comments under (due) advisement...! 

Anyway, as mentioned before, for a bit of added stimulation, I've (artificially) created a fogged-in (weather) condition (please see e.g., the [VC] Pilot's view screenshots, below, and you'll see what I mean...)...essentially a pretty much a white-out scenario where the (CZST) Rwy does not come into sight until within 1 or 2 miles so...So, to help myself, and to make the experience a bit less daunting for this (virtual) pilot, I've equipped my Commander 114 with an extra pair of (digital) eyes...a so-called artificial ILS gauge (see the inset pop-ups in my shots #3/#4/#5/#6). This is an incredible aid for (precise) virtual landing, meant especially for such challenging circumstances. All I had to do, here, is to (gently) keep correcting my SPD (Throttle), HDG, and ALT, to keep the (artificial) ILS crosswires (in the ILS gauge), exactly centered on the (ILS) display, as would actually happen if the airport were to have a (real) ILS signal...

For example, in my flight, here, though the CZST Airport/Rwy remained completely invisible till just under 2 nms (please check progressive DMEs on my pop-up ILS gauge), by then, I was already pre-aligned with the Rwy, and also descending at the correct rate to match the artificial Glideslope (so, this is equivalent to a (real) combined Localizer and Glideslope guidance). When I was about ~1.8 nm out, the Rwy (finally) came into sight, to my relief.... I was then able to (also) use the visual cues to complete the landing...fairly accurately, on the Numbers... (see my touchdown shots) ...

And, as I'd said, before, the (virtual) CZST Airport is quite familiar to me. During each of my past visits, I've never failed to Say "Hello" to the gentleman (possibly the Airport Manager?), sitting on the Barrel, outside the aluminum warehouse building (see my last 3 shots), and always (attentively) reading his newspapers...(BTW, I believe, his routine never changes,...come summer/winter/rain/snow...🙂...and he never reacts to greet me as I pass by in my a/c... see below...) ...Oh well...

Hope you enjoy this collection of pictures...!

Thanks for viewing...!! Good flying...!!

[Orbx (PFJ/CZST), Carenado (Rockwell Commander 114)]

Scwm3p.png

Mm6pny.png

wNm7bA.png

dBuvau.png

ztuLwa.png

uGqrHo.png

ct4UgA.png

sOQVDE.png

x5cUny.png

nVdZt0.png

QRoDdc.png

Jj6kNx.png

DYDCsl.png

ERgsQV.png

m35DMV.png

yPA7ax.png

cPdEhi.png

suWLPY.png

7G7Asr.png

Q1e2rf.png

• Like 2

Also very nice this part II !

cheers 😉

• Like 3

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

One of Orbx’s finest IMHO , looks like typical August weather up there . 

• Like 3