Sign in to follow this  
rog943

Tempted into buying Xplane 11 - Uh!

Yes, I was tempted by the 50% sale.

Bought the Steam version, downloaded it and expected to go flying.  It comes up with a warning that my trim wheel needs to be calibrated but I chose to continue anyway.

Each time, with different aircraft, it launches in a continuous pan to the left and the engine (or the left engine) stops.

Can anyone help me to just be able to sit in the cockpit looking forwards and be able take a breath and get to grips with things?

43 minutes ago, rog943 said:

Bought the Steam version, downloaded it and expected to go flying.  It comes up with a warning that my trim wheel needs to be calibrated but I chose to continue anyway.

Each time, with different aircraft, it launches in a continuous pan to the left and the engine (or the left engine) stops.

Can anyone help me to just be able to sit in the cockpit looking forwards and be able take a breath and get to grips with things?

What this video, it is explain in detail.

47 minutes ago, rog943 said:

Hello @rog943!  Have you calibrated your yoke/joystick/pedals?  Have you checked your yoke/joystick/pedals/keyboard for the proper (the one's you like) bindings?  Take a moment to review the (expansive) documentation included with the sim.  You should be able to use something simple like the C172 with engine running on the rwy with just a few important key/stick bindings.

Thanks guys, I just hoped it was going to be as simple as they make it sound.  (Like - I didn't have that bewildering experience when I first started up FSX.)

I'll watch the video and read the stuff and hope in due course I'll be as convinced as everyone else that it is a brilliant sim.

Happy flying and thanks again.

Roger

Unplug all your USB hardware flight controls before starting X-Plane then launch the sim.  You should then be able to sit in the cockpit and enjoy what you're looking at (press 'W' if necessary).  When you're ready to setup your flight controls plug them back in, launch X-Plane, and calibrate them via the settings menu.

David

David, CYXE

Sorry to prolong this but having looked at the video, maybe I haven't explained too well.  (But oughtn't I be able to fly using the keyboard to at least get going, so binding stuff could come later (yes, of course sooner than later)).

The aircraft isn't moving forward, it is stationary.   My view though is slowly traveling left - past the port wing, the back of my seat and so on continuously all the way round.  Almost straightaway an engine stops.

If anyone can throw any light on this I'd appreciate it.   Because I haven't really set anything yet I actually reinstalled the programme from Steam, with the same result.

Roger

Hello rog943,

I think you have to calibrate all the controls first.

Go to "Settings"->"Joystick" and click on "Calibrate".

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, rog943 said:

My view though is slowly traveling left - past the port wing, the back of my seat and so on continuously all the way round

There is a key/joystick binding for that so something with your controls/keyboard is amiss.  

19 hours ago, rog943 said:

u should refund it and wait 4 the xp12 release.  U will get xp11 free with your xp12 purchase

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Beerz said:

u should refund it and wait 4 the xp12 release.  U will get xp11 free with your xp12 purchase

Yes, this, but ! after playing XP12 I'm affraid you will not start XP11 again 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Yes, this, but ! after playing XP12 I'm affraid you will not start XP11 again 🙂

xp12 will be early access for many months/years.....i think 3rd Party dev releases will start in 2023/2024 so i will keep using xp11/msfs...maybe i'm wrong and we will see xp12 payware sooner....i don't really like flying default stuff.

I have put in a request for a refund.  I'll put it towards 12.

I did do a clean reinstall but still with all the problems, one of which was that it would not complete the calibration of my Gear Falcon trim wheel.  I hope that won't be a problem in 12??

Thanks everyone for the suggestions etc.  

Roger

16 minutes ago, rog943 said:

I have put in a request for a refund.  I'll put it towards 12.

I did do a clean reinstall but still with all the problems, one of which was that it would not complete the calibration of my Gear Falcon trim wheel.  I hope that won't be a problem in 12??

Thanks everyone for the suggestions etc.  

Roger

I think you should download XP11 demo and try to resolve the problem. It's possible that XP12 will use the same methods for calibration, so the problem might persist for you.

EDIT: Or wait for XP12 and download the demo before buying.

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, Beerz said:

xp12 will be early access for many months/years.

Really. Few month maybe to get worst bugs ironed out. Not years. They certainly wouldnt release it if it was that bad.

I'm going to have to do something like that as my request has been refused!!    4 hours of fiddling about with 2 reinstalls goes over their limit apparently.

So I'm back to square one.