Sign in to follow this  
Millingp

MSFS Just Lost all my Settings!!

Very minor issue - but anytime there is an update, MSFS always resets my monitor viewing mode to "Windowed" vs "Full Screen" which I prefer. Is there some reason/advantage that perhaps I should run in Windowed mode? I do not switch into other applications while flying.

Well, I'm back in business, but it wasn't the smoothest experience!

• Logged Out/In MS Store and XBox
  • Restarted MSFS
  • "Resyncing Data" took several minutes but the startup eventually proceeded
  • Finally got to the old startup screen (that horrible music playing and several aircraft on the screen, etc.)
  • The spinner in the lower-right kept going and nothing happened - I had to use the Task Manager to shut it down.
  • Rebooted the PC
  • As the Win10 desktop screen appeared my Razer Game Mouse system suddenly went into a "finishing update" mode and everything else froze.  This Razer device system has done this to me in the past. Unlike other programs it will start updates in the background without permission and with no warning as part of the startup into Windows.  (I don't allow any program/app to do this - all are set to notify me but they can't do this without my permission).  It's ironic that the high resolution Razer mouse (the best I've ever had) that is supposedly designed with "gamers" in mind allows its update system to interfere with games and has no option to disallow this!
  • I rebooted again to make sure all was clean, then restarted MSFS.  It started up quickly (and normally) and all of my settings are back.

It looks like there was an error with the MSFS login to the servers that started all of this (which the re-log of the MS services repaired) followed by the interference of the Razer update.

Randall Rocke

9 minutes ago, billgustaf said:

Is there some reason/advantage that perhaps I should run in Windowed mode? I do not switch into other applications while flying.

As far as I am aware it's best to run in full screen mode, as some menu buttons aren't even visible in windowed mode.  I will switch to windowed mode on occasion (when I need to open a different app while flying) but switch back to full screen as soon as possible.

I will run some other programs in the background on occasion but will stay in full screen as I use the Task Switcher to access them.

Randall Rocke

Yeah I've had similar issues with the Razer updater.  I love their products, but the updates are rough.  They take forever and your PC can seemingly lock up with no reason as to why.  The updates can take a very long time, and there can be a big delay before it even tells you what it is doing. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Why on Earth would you use Razer if it does this to you - running updates whenever it likes, even in the middle of you running a program!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Overall, it's the best mouse I've owned in resolution and it's very advantageous for my work (graphics, broadcast video-editing, audio-editing and photo-editing).  It also is excellent for handling buttons and knobs in complex cockpits. 🙂

I think that I can count on one hand the amount of times its updating has interfered with the startup sequence of MSFS in the last few years.  It's probably interfered with other programs more.

Make no mistake - it ticks me off that it would initiate an update process when I'm running another program.  I think the problems occur when it initiates at the same time or just prior to executing a program - it gets hidden in the background then and it isn't immediately obvious that it is running.

In the case of MSFS, all of the issues were with the sim and apparently server communications.  Razer interfered at the very moment all of that had been resolved and I was attempting a new startup.  The give-away is when I am forced to recover my system with a restart and the Razer updater appears finishing an update when the Windows desktop reappears.  I will continue to rag on the Razer Support system in the hope that they will add an option for manual update approval!

Randall Rocke

4 hours ago, billgustaf said:

Very minor issue - but anytime there is an update, MSFS always resets my monitor viewing mode to "Windowed" vs "Full Screen" which I prefer. Is there some reason/advantage that perhaps I should run in Windowed mode? I do not switch into other applications while flying.

This behavior annoys me since the launch of MSFS. Don’t know why they decided to be it this way, since I can’t think of a technical reason why it would be necessary. 🤷‍♂️

Once again the "insert disk death screen" But this time I didn't waste time reinstalling the 30gbs re installation and the 5 steps of new configuration. Just delete all folders inside wgs (backup first)... sing out in store, in xbox, restart windows and directly start msfs and the sync cloud will work and everything would be like before.

Maybe nobody try this solution, but at least next time this will be my notebook help for mayday situations with msfs,