Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

FSLTL install errors.

3 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

If you can, turn "App Permissions" off & then see if the Lock symbols have gone.

I will have a look at my setup re your Menu trail above, a bit later today & report back.

My inclination would be to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling MSFS.

I would put FSTL aside for a few days in case the issue is there & they fix it.

The uninstall/reinstall route may leave you bald😀 For me it is a last resort.

T45

Thanks T45, I just got in and am reading all these posts.  I'm going to look at all the option you guys are mentioning and I'll get back to ya'll.

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

2 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

I just had a look at that on my set up & my App Permissions is On, but it is labelled  Background Apps".

Which I take to mean that I can run other Apps in the background while MSFS is running.

I also noticed further down the page the  App Permissions appears on is the Option to Reset/Repair MSFS.

Have you tried that? {not Reset at this stage as it could take out your data.

T45 

Hi T45, yes, mine too says Background Apps too.  

But I didn't try a repair yet.

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

The thing with repair and reset is that if you have MSFS installed to a custom folder, you will not loose any data by doing these. You will however have to reset your graphics settings. 

If MSFS is in the default location, I think reset will remove everything. But I'm not 100% sure on this, others can chime in. 

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, Phantoms said:

In this thread on the official forums someone links to a program called Unstopable Copier that he claims will work to copy the files.

There's also this official recommendation on moving the packages folders from Microsoft: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-Can-I-choose-or-change-the-installation-path-Install-on-the-D-drive-instead-of-the-C-drive-for-instance-

Hi Phantoms, well, I like that MS page but I can't move the package, the PC won't let me.

And it looks like if I try to reinstall it I can put it on a different drive.  That's good because I'm thinking this will be what it takes to force MS's hand in this.

• Like 3

Jack Sawyer

2 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

Do you start MSFS "As Administrator"? [right click on the MSFS icon on the screen & select ]

Also, a bit left field, but perhaps have a look in MSFS Profile/Content manager to see if that looks ok.

It should say how many Installed items there are, Not Installed & Updates Available. Nothing weird there?

& l;eft of left field, the drive that you have the Community Folder on, is it full?

T45

Hi T45.  Yes, I always run it as Administrator.  And as for the Content Manager, yes sir, it all looks fine, no updates.  The C drive where it's installed had almost a TB of space left.

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

2 hours ago, MDFlier said:

If you go into Windows settings, then Apps & Features, and click the 3 vertical dots to the right of the Flight Simulator entry, there is a "Move" option.

If you've got a different drive with space on it (I haven't read the entire thread, so I may have missed something), try to use it to see if it will allow you to move things after you've moved the main installation.

Hi MDFlier, going to have a look at this now...

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

2 hours ago, MDFlier said:

If you go into Windows settings, then Apps & Features, and click the 3 vertical dots to the right of the Flight Simulator entry, there is a "Move" option.

If you've got a different drive with space on it (I haven't read the entire thread, so I may have missed something), try to use it to see if it will allow you to move things after you've moved the main installation.

Hi again.  I’m in Apps & features and see the Flight Simulator but don’t see three dots to the right.  In fact none of the app in this long list have three dots next to them.  Wait, I just clicked on it and it shows move and uninstall.  Going to try the move later after I make sure I have all my settings documented and have screenshots.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jack Sawyer

8 hours ago, MDFlier said:

Hi MDFlier.

I told Windows to move MSFS but it moved just the app and not the Community folder.  And now the TDS GTN can’t locate the new location, not a big deal for now but the sim runs.

Still the same with the Community folder, can’t move anything out of it, rename it, nothing.  I still get the “Your organization does not allow you to place this file here” when I try to drag one folder to the desktop.

The only folder it moved to the separate drive (K) were, Program Files, WindowApps, WpSystem, XboxGames.

Looks like a complete uninstall/reinstall?

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

10 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Now, there is a way to save many hours upon reinstall. And it's not that difficult. All the files that are included in MSFS (hundreds of GBs) are located here: C:>Users>Jack>AppData>Local>Packages>Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe>LocalCache>Packages>Official>OneStore

If you make a copy of the Official\OneStore folder in your planned MSFS installation folder, it will not need to reinstall everything again.

Hi Cpt.  I just tried to do this but the OneStore folder has a lock icon on it and when I try to drag and drop to copy it to another drive I get that same frustrating Windows message, “Your organization does not allow you to place this file here.”

So even this great suggestion can’t work.

It’s 11:15 PM In Atlanta, tired, frustrated, and giving up for tonight.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

6 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi Cpt.  I just tried to do this but the OneStore folder has a lock icon on it and when I try to drag and drop to copy it to another drive I get that same frustrating Windows message, “Your organization does not allow you to place this file here.”

It’s like MS has the slogan: “Why make things easy when you can make them difficult”. Lol. 

Well, new day today (well where I’m at anyway), so let us know how you go if you continue on the “project” 🙂

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

It’s like MS has the slogan: “Why make things easy when you can make them difficult”. Lol. 

Well, new day today (well where I’m at anyway), so let us know how you go if you continue on the “project” 🙂

Good morning Cpt.  I agree, why make it difficult?

When I "moved" MSFS to a different drive it didn't move the Community folder.  So I uninstalled the entire program and ran CC Cleaner.  Then when I went to the drive that I "moved" it to, drive K, to simply delete the files it moved there the PC wouldn't let me delete them, even after a reboot.  So I had to format the drive.  Same as the drive I installed it on, the D drive.  I called the drive MSFS 2020 and that's where I initially told MSFS Store to install everything and I had to format it too.

So this has me concerned that when I buy the Steam version this morning and install it I'm wondering if I'll have the same Community folder problem yet again?

I'm buying from Steam because a friend told me I won't have Community folder lock problems like the MS Store version.

Best regards, Jack

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

25 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

So this has me concerned that when I buy the Steam version this morning and install it I'm wondering if I'll have the same Community folder problem yet again?

I'm buying from Steam because a friend told me I won't have Community folder lock problems like the MS Store version.

Oh dear, I'm sorry you had all these issues. It takes some stamina to deal with MSFS at times. 

I think Steam could be the way to go if you don't mind buying it again. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Oh dear, I'm sorry you had all these issues. It takes some stamina to deal with MSFS at times. 

I think Steam could be the way to go if you don't mind buying it again. 

Cheers!

Thanks Cpt.  Installing the Steam Deluxe Premium version now and told it to install the “Packages” to F:\Flight Simulator but does it still install the Community folder to the same place?  If so I hope I don’t have those same messages  😞 

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

4 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Morning Jack

Another throw of the dice.

I googled "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here"

Quite a few hits, including this:

Good luck

T45

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-organization-does-not-allow-you-to-place-this/15ea1837-d8b5-454a-95ee-aeb4cb036028

Thanks T45.  That’s a lot and seems over my head.  Don’t even know where to start.  In any case, this is what I’m doing:

Had Steam install a SteamLibrary on drive F.
Drive F has plenty of room it’s called MSFS 2020 (F:)
I created a folder on drive F and named it Flight Sim.
Had Steam run MSFS and now it’s downloading 102 GB into the path I told it to, F:\Flight Sim folder.
I just don’t know about the Community folder though, I hope it doesn’t have the same Windows “Organization” problem.   😞 

• Like 2

Jack Sawyer