Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Question for RW pilots related to Navigraph Charts

Specifically how realistic are the features on the chart app to a real airline EFB? Does a real EFB have a moving map and all the other goodies like chart overlay with the colorful eye candy? Just curious.

Vic green

I am not a real pilot, but I had the pleasure flying in a small airplane recently, and the pilot used a moving map. It was a cheaper system, so not at the same level as Navigraph, but it shared many features.

I also know that https://foreflight.com/ is used by real world pilots, and that looks pretty similar to Navigraph. Some flight simmers use Foreflight as well, but it is more expensive than Navigraph.

Peter

Not a RW pilot, but I had the money to sign up for ForeFlight.  Foreflight has the real weather conditions, overlays, traffic, synthetic vision and much more.  The basic subscription doesn't have as many options.  In terms of weather, icing, turbulence, and certain other features (D-ATIS), they won't have much to offer a flight simulation.  Sometimes the radar matches FS, but not always.  It allows you to really be realistic however.  You have satellite overlays, obstacles, terrain warnings, transition altitude alerts, and a lot to keep you occupied.  It's almost distracting to be honest.  It looks and sounds like Navigraph will be fine for 95% of simulators once they include weather, profile view, traffic, and other items they are planning to add.  It'll be much cheaper, especially when ForeFlight charges a lot if you want other countries.  I only have the U.S.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

It honestly all depends on what package of software the airline purchases. My old carrier uses the same chart software as my current airline. However, the features available at my current airline are a lot more fancier.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I own a Piper Cherookee and I have moving maps on board for years. A simple ipad with Foreflight and a 100$ external gps has done the job to provide situation awareness even if its not legal for IFR flights. With a USA and Canada subscription, your good to go for most flight. I upgraded this year with a G3X that also offer moving maps and share aircraft position with its internal VFR GPS. 

In the end, it all depends of how commercial carrier want to spend but moving maps solutions are affordable for most of them. But some small cargo company desserving the north of Canada still only have ADF equipment for their IFR approaches and VFR GPS for situation awareness.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

To be honest, I feel the area between the more advanced avionics and stand alone EFB's is getting more blurred for each year?  Especially in smaller segment GA/bizjets.

I mean in one of the planes I fly. It has brand new Garmin G3X-suite. So from the touch screen menus you have access to

• Airplane Flight manual
  • Weight and balance /Performance
  • Checklists (incl Emergency checklists)
  • Jeppesen charts VFR+IFR+Aerodrome ground
  • Flightplan uplink from external device/wifi 
  • And obviously a moving map with terrain/obstacle monitoring + weather.
  • Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

My take: Avilasoft EFB more then fills my IFR needs and Little Navmap for VFR. Not as pretty and colorful but all the information a simmer would ever need. If you like to read the obstacle clearance, airport construction and NOTAMS that are present real world you can see that in the Simbrief packet. I have the Navigraph Charts now but for me I don’t see much reason to keep paying for it other then more real world data that’s not in the sim. More realistic maybe hence my question. Is it really? Enough so to justify the expense . Personal preference of course. That’s just mine. There are other sim addons I’d rather spend the cabbage on.

• Upvote 1

Vic green