Sign in to follow this  
Guest Papa 3 Charlie

FSX - XP or VISTA

If you are using Vista and XP, Which one do you prefer and why?Thanks.Abe

Vista runs many games slower than XP. Many Vista drivers are still not up to scratch. The only advantage Vista may have in the future is DX10, but at the moment there is no evidence that this will in fact lead to significant improvements in quality or performance. All the DX10 releases so far have run slower than DX9 and the graphics improvements are marginal to non-existent.http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9750536-1.htmlista It's a no brainer. Stick with XP unless and until this situation changes.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest unitedpilot36

As said above, I'd wait for Vista to mature a tad more before jumping in the pool.

Guest diajohn2

I have used FSX in both and find little to no difference.Now Vista does still have some issues and I would suggest the upcoming service pack may help. I have no remaining hardware issues with Vista.FSX is not DX10 yet so it makes no sense to upgrade unless you are like me and just like to do "stuff".

I have to agree with John, I have tried both using just XP then a Vista/XP dual boot and I finally deleted that XP installation on the partition and settled into a much more convenient single operating system. Works great for me and I like Vista a lot more than XP. I know I have read some articles on comparisons using benchmarks and a series of games which showed that XP faired a little better. I wish I could remember the website that posted the article. Maybe some one will be able to give you the link. (EDIT) I think I may have found the link. I didn't bother to read it over again, it looked familiar. Take it it for what its worth. One thing I know is that FSX is very user and machine specific. In some ways you may just have to try it for yourself. http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If FSX is your main concern, it runs fine on either. With Vista you get many new features and a few annoyances, with XP you get a familar dated OS with less overhead and more compatibility.For building a new duo or quad system I'd pick Vista, but dont upgrade existing FSX XP installs for it.

Thank you guys for all the input. It is very helpful for future considerations.Abe

Guest robpol

>If you are using Vista and XP, Which one do you prefer and>why?>>Thanks.>>AbeI have used both as a recent PC purchase came with Vista Premium pre-installed. System specs are Intel DUO 6400 with 2Gb RAM, nVida 7900GS 256Mb RAM and Creative Xi-Fi Fatal1ty sound card.FSX runs ok under Vista, although it does force Vista into basic mode. However, after I got rid of Vista and went to XP my frame rates increased considerably. Enough that it was easily noticable to the eye. I used the extra FPS to turn up the detail levels. So much for FSX 'Runs better in Vista' quote!I'd stick to XP and wait until the DX10 patch for FSX comes out. Once this happens you can use the feedback to decide whether or not to jump.RobP

Guest adz07

I agree with the above comment, this is a very machine specific discussion. I have noticed no differences between the two OS's. Although I think if your computer is below a Vista Premium spec PC it might be different.If your planning on upgrading in the future anyway, it might be worth doing it now and testing, if you don't like the result, roll back to XP and upgrade later. I have an E6600 core 2 duo, so I'd say if your machine is near that sort of spec, you'd be fine either way.

Abe,I recently built a new computer and since Vista is the inevitable future that is what I installed. As others have said, there are a few quirks and annoyances that need to be ironed out, but on a high end computer it runs quite well.FSX runs much better than I ever expected given the reports by some others. For instance I can fly in and out of major cities in the Level D 767 with decent fps. The out of memory problems with FSX are my main gripe.I rapidly learned to love Vista's search function and don't really want to go back to XP.RonIntel Quad Core Q6600 Kentsfield @3.0GhzGigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 Motherboard2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066EVGA Geforce 8800GTX 768MB DDR3500GB Raid 1 HD320GB Raid 1 HDCoolMax 700 watt power supplyVista Ultimate 32bit

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

"with XP you get a familar dated OS with less overhead and more compatibility."It may be dated but it is tried, trusted, well proven and stable. Vista, with its enormous HD installation footprint, still has a way to go before I'm likely to be enticed over. I know HD real estate is pretty cheap these days, but it does beg the question as to why Vista requires so much of it (40GB?!!!)? If you want a decent operating system without the unnecessary bloat then currently it's a no brainer for me - stick with XP (1.5GB)!Mike

Thanks Ron.I am getting a new system with QX6850 overclocked 3.66, part of the package deal is Vista 64-bit. So I am venturing into unchartered terrain. It is good that you point out that the pluses outweigh the minuses. In addition to FSX, I do lots of video capture and I am hoping that Vista would be able to handle both.Abe

Guest diajohn2

I would suggest you opt for Vista 32 instead of 64. There is little or no software using 64 and the drivers are few and far between. In other words, maximum pain for no gain. IMHO.

Thanks John. That's another option to consider.Abe

Guest Papa 3 Charlie

I enjoy Vista and have had very few problems. Just remember if a program has problems running, try running it as an Adminstrator.Bryan