Sign in to follow this  
Reginald H

New Hard Drive without losing MSFS2020 files

I currently have a 256GB ssd C drive and 2TB D drive. MSFS2020 is on my D drive purchased through MSStore.

I have just purchased a 1TB ssd to replace my C drive so i can run the sim from the ssd instead of the data drive for performance reasons.

I am ok with reinstalling windows 10 and FSX in steam and downloading all my addons for FSX, i have done it a few times before.

My issue is MSFS2020 folder is currently 300GB and will take me 3 days to redownload or more, i would rather fresh install windows, install MSFS2020 to drive C then copy over everything from D to C if that would be possible. in the D msfs2020 folder i have community (32GB), content (1.8GB) and Official (270GB)

So will it break the new game if i delete the 2 large folders and replace with what is on my D drive??

Thanks in advance for any info I might receive, this is from MSStore not Steam

Unless you really need to, you may want to clone your existing system drive onto the new drive. Macrium Reflect (free version) can handle that for you. Would be a lot easier than reinstalling everything.

https://pureinfotech.com/clone-windows-10-hard-drive-ssd-macrium-reflect/

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Ok, I re-read your message and see that you wish to move your MSFS installation from D-drive to C-drive as well. Since I'm on Steam, and you're on MSStore, I'll leave it to someone else to give you the correct advise.

Although, cloning will get you up and running quickly...

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Some one else can correct me, but I believe this should work.

After you have installed Windows 10, but before you install MSFS, create a new folder on your C-drive (call it MSFS, so C:\MSFS) then copy the Community and Onestore folders from your D-Drive to the new folder on C-Drive. Once that is done, then install MSFS but when you get to the "Installation Manager" screen, make sure you change the path in the lower right to the new folder C:\MSFS. It should then see all the data there and NOT download it all again.

Now, since I'm on Steam, and you're on MSStore, best wait for someone else to confirm that this will work.

...jim

Thanks for the cloning advice, i was thinking about this before, i only have 1 slot for the ssd on the laptop though so i would need a different method, i can boot from my d drive though so i will look into it more, this will help with the FSX and other software though so it will be a bonus.

7 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

After you have installed Windows 10, but before you install MSFS, create a new folder on your C-drive (call it MSFS, so C:\MSFS) then copy the Community and Onestore folders from your D-Drive to the new folder on C-Drive. Once that is done, then install MSFS but when you get to the "Installation Manager" screen, make sure you change the path in the lower right to the new folder C:\MSFS. It should then see all the data there and NOT download it all again.

Now, since I'm on Steam, and you're on MSStore, best wait for someone else to confirm that this will work.

...jim

This could work, i will try it, thanks for your input, i was hoping someone might have had the exact same issue, and could tell me what happened when they tried it

10 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

...jim

Yes, this should do the job and should work..

I am on the MSFS store Version.

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

OK thanks guys, this will be my plan then. I am now looking at options to clone the c drive somehow, thinking i can uninstall MSFS2020 from the new drive, then do as you suggested.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I used the move function in windows and had no problem at all. All subsequent updates, installs etc went to the right place without a hitch.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors