Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

When purchasing a yoke are pedals reqd?

Hi Guys,

I currently have a Saitek X52 Hotas but I 'm thinking of shelling out on a Thrustmaster Boeing yoke and a Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant. It's going to be stretch such that the pedals will have to wait for another day.  But in the meantime I assume I can just use keyboard commands for rudder? Have I got that right or is there a slicker way to do this? 

Cheers

Terry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

4 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Have I got that right or is there a slicker way to do this? 

No, in my opinion, rudders are a must have.
I would keep the joystick instead of the yoke and get rudder pedals!

btw.: with a yoke you are more flexible as you can control both aircraft with yokes and sticks.
I always find a bit off to control a stick plane with a yoke.

And do not forget helicopters!

but that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

47 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Hi Guys,

I currently have a Saitek X52 Hotas but I 'm thinking of shelling out on a Thrustmaster Boeing yoke and a Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant. It's going to be stretch such that the pedals will have to wait for another day.  But in the meantime I assume I can just use keyboard commands for rudder? Have I got that right or is there a slicker way to do this? 

Cheers

Terry

No, that really will not work at all. You can't control the rudder like that. You are far better off keeping the joystick and buying some pedals and the Bravo throttles and buying the yoke last.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

As others have pointed out, you want those pedals. Or, should I say, you want it all! From a pilots perspective, you definitely want the pedals for realistic/natural braking and rudder control. I have never flown scare buses, but in sim, I use a stick. To give you an idea of options, this is my setup.

I have the warthog thrustmaster HOTAS, CH pedals and the thrustmaster yoke and throttles. I also use FSUIPC 7 so that I can seamlessly assign devices to specific aircraft. I'll admit, it's a little crowded at the desk, but works perfect. I will insert a pic. Through FSUIPC, I have the warthog assigned to Airbuses. I have the Boeing yoke and throttles assigned to all yoke aircraft. The pedals are assigned to all aircraft. I also have the throttle friction lever axis on the warthog assigned as a tiller for my biz jets and airliners.

With this setup, I go from yoke to stick aircraft seamlessly. Select this aircraft, use these controls, select that aircraft, use those controls. This also allows me to go into DCS world without unplugging and moving around devices. I just load any sim and fly. I posted my messy crowded desk below, but it reminds me of being in the tight flight decks that I fly in. Don't mind the train controls on the desk. Now that you have an idea of how others setup their sims, you can figure out what's best for you.

20221229-073202.jpg

• Like 1

I’d say every scenario where there is a strong torque to be expected, pedals are a really useful addition, for instance Ww2 warbirds, helicopters etc.. If you fly only airliners much less so. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I agree with the above, if you have to choose, then buy pedals (with brakes) before buying a yoke.

Al

• Like 1

Thanks guys and Happy New Year.  I truly appreciate the sage advice. So I will put a yoke on hold and hunt for some pedals based on your replies which make absolute sense, while being a little easier on the pocket!!  As a couple of you pointed out different aircraft types, helicopters for example and any situations which require a degree of rudder authority for example asymmetric thrust will require them.

On top of all that, thanks for the insight into your setup  @G550flyer. That seems like a good way to use both the stick and the yoke with a single set of pedals. When I finally get all the pieces together I imagine I will have a very similar setup, including FSUIPC to weld it all together. So my thing now is to look at some pedals.  Rick,  I notice you said you had CH pedals. Good/better/best?  What pedals do any of you reckon will eventually fit well with the Saitek X52 Hotas, Thrustmaster Boeing yoke and Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant?  Anything I should steer away from?(excuse the clumsy pun). 

Thanks for the replies guys. 

Cheers

Terry  

Edited by Lord Farringdon

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

On 1/1/2023 at 1:31 AM, Lord Farringdon said:

Rick,  I notice you said you had CH pedals. Good/better/best?

They have worked well for me, but I have had one little issue. It appears that they can be some what sticky and apply brakes when my feet are simply resting on them. To avoid this, I place something underneath the pedals during the CH software calibration. This has them slightly applied during calibration. Once done, I can rest my feet on the pedals and have to apply just a tad before the brakes apply. It also works great during crosswind landings. Even in the real world, you have some unintentional application during crosswind landing. You will notice that the brakes on one side of the jet is hotter than the brakes on the other side. 

Rick

• Like 1

Might take a closer look at the CH pedals then. Seems you found a fairly simple way to get around the issue you described so no showstopper there.

Took a look at your tumblr link too. Very impressive airplane you fly there IRL Rick and I like the airplane general info and simple explanations you give. Though, I'm guessing you are not using CH pedals in that 🤣.

Thanks Rick

Cheers

Terry 

• Like 1

I would get the yoke and search for a cheap CH rudder pedal. I sold my CH pedals in excellent condition for $50 as I did not need them anymore. Buy flying without a set of rudder pedals I could not imagine doing that ever again. 

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.