Sign in to follow this  
joemiller

You own an Intel 13900K

2 minutes ago, Stefano88 said:

Regarding dlss, dx I just set it from the simulator to 12, while hags what is it?

On Windows 11 at least, HAGS setting can be found under Windows Settings system->display->graphics->default graphics settings. A system restart will be required to activate HAGS once you turn it on. Also, you say DLSS but as I mentioned frame generation can also be enabled with TAA.

5 minutes ago, Stefano88 said:

Anyway, about the fps reporting what I said before, is it good as numbers?

It's hard to say as you have custom settings and don't mention your screen resolution, which I assume is 4k? Anyway, for reference with my system per my signature below I get 40-70 FPS at 4K Ultra TAA settings without FG, and with FG it is double that. As I'm normally in VR, I just use DX11 and the high preset in 4K and that sits me around 60 FPS minimum which works nicely with my TV's max refresh rate of 60Hz @ 4K.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

10 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

On Windows 11 at least, HAGS setting can be found under Windows Settings system->display->graphics->default graphics settings. A system restart will be required to activate HAGS once you turn it on. Also, you say DLSS but as I mentioned frame generation can also be enabled with TAA.

It's hard to say as you have custom settings and don't mention your screen resolution, which I assume is 4k? Anyway, for reference with my system per my signature below I get 40-70 FPS at 4K Ultra TAA settings without FG, and with FG it is double that. As I'm normally in VR, I just use DX11 and the high preset in 4K and that sits me around 60 FPS minimum which works nicely with my TV's max refresh rate of 60Hz @ 4K.

Ok thanks a lot for the advice. Tomorrow I'll go to the settings and do some tests with dlss. Out of curiosity, with active dlss do you notice a small loss of graphic quality? Or not? What's more, I have a sony a80j oled tv, which is 120hz but I can't set it to 120. I also bought the hdmi 2.1 certified cable, plugged into the tv port that allows 120hz, but when I go to the Windows graphics settings it gives me like 4k resolution but 60 hertz. That's already more than enough, but I wish I could set it to 120. Next, I would try to enable the msfs fps counter, but I just can't find it! I activate developer mode, but then I can't find the check anywhere to make fps visible plus the other hardware statistics. Do you happen to know how to do it? Sorry if I ask you a lot of things and thank you very much again!!

1 minute ago, Stefano88 said:

Out of curiosity, with active dlss do you notice a small loss of graphic quality? Or not?

Yes, which is why I don't use it with 4K. I do use it in VR, but only after applying a 134% render scale increase to the starting resolution to offset the blurriness that DLSS introduces.

4 minutes ago, Stefano88 said:

I have a sony a80j oled tv, which is 120hz but I can't set it to 120. I also bought the hdmi 2.1 certified cable, plugged into the tv port that allows 120hz, but when I go to the Windows graphics settings it gives me like 4k resolution but 60 hertz.

I have that TV too but it is not the one I have connected to my MSFS PC. Just make sure under the TV's settings, channel and inputs-external inputs->HDMI signal format that the HDMI input you are using is set to enhanced.

9 minutes ago, Stefano88 said:

Next, I would try to enable the msfs fps counter, but I just can't find it! I activate developer mode, but then I can't find the check anywhere to make fps visible plus the other hardware statistics. Do you happen to know how to do it?

When you enable developer mode, select from the menu that appears in the top right options then display FPS (under rendering submenu).

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

16 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

Yes, which is why I don't use it with 4K. I do use it in VR, but only after applying a 134% render scale increase to the starting resolution to offset the blurriness that DLSS introduces.

Hello, first of all Happy New Year!! I understand, so there is a slight loss of graphics. But even if I don't use dlss now, I already have the rendering scale at 135, you say that if I leave it like this or increase it again, I'll have it itself a loss of quality? I think it is worth trying

I have that TV too but it is not the one I have connected to my MSFS PC. Just make sure under the TV's settings, channel and inputs-external inputs->HDMI signal format that the HDMI input you are using is set to enhanced.

I get it, nice tv and color. Yes, it says that hdmi outputs 3 and 4 are at 120hz, so I connected port 3, but in the pc it is still read at 60hz. I have seen the settings of the tv, but I have no way to decide the hz. And here I got stuck

When you enable developer mode, select from the menu that appears in the top right options then display FPS (under rendering submenu).

When I activate developer mode, I didn't notice anything but maybe because I didn't see in the upper right corner later as I go to the pc I activate dev mode and I see in the upper right corner if a menu appears. Thanks so much for the info, I'll update you later! Thanks again

6 hours ago, Stefano88 said:

Hello, first of all Happy New Year!! I understand, so there is a slight loss of graphics. But even if I don't use dlss now, I already have the rendering scale at 135, you say that if I leave it like this or increase it again, I'll have it itself a loss of quality? I think it is worth trying

Happy new year to you too. If you are talking render scaling for 2D, then that setting is only available in TAA. When you switch to DLSS, the render scaling defaults to 100. In VR you can override this by setting a higher render scale in OpenXR developer tools but that is not applicable to 2D.

6 hours ago, Stefano88 said:

When I activate developer mode, I didn't notice anything but maybe because I didn't see in the upper right corner later as I go to the pc I activate dev mode and I see in the upper right corner if a menu appears.

Actually, I got the position of the menu in the wrong place. It is in the top left of the screen.

14 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

Happy new year to you too. If you are talking render scaling for 2D, then that setting is only available in TAA. When you switch to DLSS, the render scaling defaults to 100. In VR you can override this by setting a higher render scale in OpenXR developer tools but that is not applicable to 2D.

Hi, ok so between 2d and VR there are two different render scalings, ok. One question, but as I play TV in 2D, do I do well to set it at 135% so as to have the same render as 4K, or should I leave it at 100? I'm sorry but I'm still not very good at these things! Ok, today as I finish from work I try to activate the dev mode and see if the bar appears at the top left and then check the fps, let's hope! Later

14 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

Actually, I got the position of the menu in the wrong place. It is in the top left of the screen.

Ok, today as I finish from work I try to activate the dev mode and see if the bar appears at the top left and then check the fps, let's hope! Later

9 hours ago, Stefano88 said:

One question, but as I play TV in 2D, do I do well to set it at 135% so as to have the same render as 4K, or should I leave it at 100?

At 4K with a 13900K and 4090, I would be in TAA and leave render scale at 100, which should provide great clarity at 4K. As previously mentioned, if you want to use frame generation, you need to have MSFS in DX12 mode and you need to enable HAGS under Windows settings.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Upvote 1

On 12/29/2022 at 9:02 PM, Wise87 said:

I just received my 13900k but I haven’t order the board, cooler or memory yet. I’m going to keep it sealed for awhile as I’m really impressed how well my 10900K is running the 4090. 

Just an update. I’ve been running my 10900k with the 4090 for a week and I’m considering returning the 13900k. From what I’m seeing the 4090 is giving me incredible performance with my current setup. I’ve compared my performance with other 13900K users and against numerous YouTube videos showing the 13900k/4090 combo and my frames and smoothness are right on par with them. My settings are at Ultra except for 3 or 4 options which I have set to high. I have another week of testing before I can no longer return the 13900K but it’s looking like I can hold off upgrading the CPU, Board and Memory for another year. 

LdVkKjE.jpg

5wvFQXN.jpg

wSkCETO.jpg

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

At 4K with a 13900K and 4090, I would be in TAA and leave render scale at 100, which should provide great clarity at 4K. As previously mentioned, if you want to use frame generation, you need to have MSFS in DX12 mode and you need to enable HAGS under Windows settings.

Yes, I play in TAA, ok so tomorrow I'll put the render at 100. So today I did some tests, I put dx 12 and tried the dlss again with TAA, the fps are actually doubled, and there is a small little loss of graphics , but really small compared to the big fps gain. But at the moment I still don't feel the need to activate dlss, I continue without dlss. Today I flew a bit to London hetrow and Geneva, always 4k, all ultra, tlod 325, live traffic all out of 50 and live weather, wow in the final and then at the parking lot I was on 30 fps, right in some places it dropped to 28 29, but then immediately went up to 30 32, but I never had blocks or slowdowns, it's always been very fluid and flowing. ...I managed to activate the fps dev mode and in these contexts I had the CPU at the limit. Is this normal given the settings I use???

Aggiungo però che stavo volando ad msfs da oltre 4 ore, non so se questo può influire o meno sulle prestazioni del pc. Grazie ancora a tutti per le considerazioni! 

Wrong language sorry... I wanted to say that this fps story happened that I was flying in msfs for over 4 hours, I don't know if it can negatively affect performance or not. Thank you all

46 minutes ago, Stefano88 said:

I managed to activate the fps dev mode and in these contexts I had the CPU at the limit. Is this normal given the settings I use???

It seems about right. If you want better performance turn that TLOD down from 325 to 200, which is the default for ultra. In 2D I use TLOD 200 but in VR I run my TLOD at 100 and it looks fine to me.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:01 AM, Nuno Pinto said:

Instead of disabling cores and HT, which makes buying such a processor kind of an odd decision, use an affinitymask (which DOES work) and let the P-Cores with its HT run the simulator. I didn't buy a 13900 and not even a 13700 because the performance gains from the 13600 versus their price and power consumption make no sense at all. All my 20 threads are enabled as they help a lot making the 13600 the incredible processor it is and for MSFS, which does have worse performance and microstuttering with the E-Cores enabled, i created a powershell script to start the simulator and set the simulator's AffinityMask some 40 seconds after it started (i didn't find a way to do this right from the start with a windows store-app such as MSFS).

Why 40 seconds? Because i found out that the simulator crashes if you do it while it's "booting". Setting the mask a few seconds later has the same effect and it no longer crashes. If anyone is interested:

Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock {cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch}

Start-Sleep -Seconds 40
(Get-Process FlightSimulator).ProcessorAffinity=4095

4095 will be the mask in my case, 6 cores with hyperthreading enabled. All the E-Cores are not used by the simulator and the smoothness is just perfect. Save this as a .ps1 file, put it anywhere and run it to have the affinity mask set 40 seconds later. Fast Launch is also enabled for a faster startup. If you dislike the powershell window coming up, you can start it from a batch file like i do (put the batch file in the same folder where the .ps1 file is):

cmd.exe /C start pwsh.exe -WindowStyle hidden -File startsim.ps1

Sorry about the hijack, i like to make sure i have the best use for the hardware i buy and don't go overboard when not required. I have 90+ fps while flying in absolute smoothness and only in poorly made airports does it dip below 50 while still being incredibly smooth. The 165Hz GSYNC monitor also helps. All my hardware is in the signature.

Nuno,

I'm really interested in this.  I have an Intel 13700K . I currently have mine with HT off,  P-Cores: 5.7Gh , E-Cores: 4.9GHz

I have not added any Affinity Mask.  Could you please advise if I should use HT on (or off). And, what Affinity Mask

I am not familiar with creating that PowerShell or scripts. Can you guide how it's done? Do I use Notepad or PowerShell ISE/ Script and paste  all those commands in it?

10 hours ago, joemiller said:

Nuno,

I'm really interested in this.  I have an Intel 13700K . I currently have mine with HT off,  P-Cores: 5.7Gh , E-Cores: 4.9GHz

I have not added any Affinity Mask.  Could you please advise if I should use HT on (or off). And, what Affinity Mask

I am not familiar with creating that PowerShell or scripts. Can you guide how it's done? Do I use Notepad or PowerShell ISE/ Script and paste  all those commands in it?

This will depend on what you want. What i described is a very particular situation where i want the full potential of my CPU enabled but having the E-Cores running clearly caused stutters. I am using Windows 11, just an FYI, might be different on 10?

So, do you want to enable HT on your CPU as it does help with multithreaded applications (and probably MSFS)? Do you notice any odd stuttering in MSFS and by disabling the E-Cores, all stuttering is gone?

If yes, then i recommend you at least TEST to see if it's really worth it to set an affinitymask and have MSFS ignore the E-Cores.

Now, back to why i did all this...

I wanted to have the full capabilities of my 13600KF but i noticed some odd stuttering while taxiing and after some testing i came to the conclusion that the E-Cores were the cause. By running MSFS and going into task manager, i could easily set the P-Cores active and disable the E-Cores and noticed all stuttering was gone. Somehow having the E-Cores enabled in my case was causing this.

To test the performance difference i started MSFS, ran task manager, went into the DETAILS tab, found the Flightsimulator.exe entry, right clicked on it and selected "Set Affinity". I then checked only the first 12 entries (0 to 11) as i wanted all my 6 P-Cores plus HT working with the selected application (MSFS). I immediately noticed all stuttering was gone, so i started looking for a solution:

MSFS in my case is a store app and you cannot launch it with an affinitymask set as you would normally do with an ordinary .EXE. The best way i found to do this was through a powershell script which would launch the simulator and set the affinitymask i wanted after the program had been launched and this is what i did (and it works wonderfully).

First of all, you need to find your affinitymask. For a 13700K with HT enabled, you will have 24 threads. 8 P-Cores, plus HT (16) and an additional 8 E-Cores (24). To calculate this, go into https://bitsum.com/tools/cpu-affinity-calculator/ and check all the threads you want active for MSFS. If HT is enabled, check cores 0 to 15, if HT is disabled, check cores 0 to 7 and you will get an HEX number below. For 8 cores with HT (0-15) this will be 0x000000000000FFFF, or 65535. This is your affinitymask.

Open notepad, write this into it:

Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock {cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch}

Start-Sleep -Seconds 40
(Get-Process FlightSimulator).ProcessorAffinity=65535

Now save it as (for example) startsim.ps1. Make sure it has the .ps1 extension in the end. What this will do is run the simulator with fast launch thus skipping all intro logos and going into the menus faster and 40 seconds later it will set the desired affinitymask. As i explained, i added a 40 second delay because if you try to set the mask right after starting, the simulator will crash (i don't know why).

PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR THE MSSTORE APP. I have no idea how the STEAM version is set, i never used it.

From here you can now either run the script with the right mouse button which is kind of an inconvenient (right click => Run with Powershell) or you can create a batch file to run it by double-clicking on it:

Again, open notepad, copy this code above into it and save it as startsim.bat (for example). Leave it in the same folder where you saved the powershell script above. You can move both files to anywhere you want, the powershell script knows where to find the simulator.

So... this is it, i hope it is now clearer how and most importantly WHY i did this. Hope it helps 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

14 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Now save it as (for example) startsim.ps1. Make sure it has the .ps1 extension in the end. What this will do is run the simulator with fast launch thus skipping all intro logos and going into the menus faster and 40 seconds later it will set the desired affinitymask. As i explained, i added a 40 second delay because if you try to set the mask right after starting, the simulator will crash (i don't know why).

PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR THE MSSTORE APP. I have no idea how the STEAM version is set, i never used it.

From here you can now either run the script with the right mouse button which is kind of an inconvenient (right click => Run with Powershell) or you can create a batch file to run it by double-clicking on it:

Again, open notepad, copy this code above into it and save it as startsim.bat (for example). Leave it in the same folder where you saved the powershell script above. You can move both files to anywhere you want, the powershell script knows where to find the simulator.

So... this is it, i hope it is now clearer how and most importantly WHY i did this. Hope it helps 🙂

Wonderful- Thank you so very much. I will try this on the weekend.