Hi guys,

Can anybody recommend a good USB powered hub with enough power for up to 10 devices?

I've had very good luck with Orico. Have 2x16 port USB 2.0 right now. Here is a typical one. They have models without the button switches as well.

Amazon.com: USB 3.0 Hub ORICO Powered 16 Ports USB Data Hub with Individual Switches and Indicator, 12V Power Adapter Support BC1.2 Charging, USB Extension for iMac Pro, MacBook Air/Mini, PS4, Surface Pro, PC : Everything Else

Edited by hs118

Hey guys,

I have an additional question about USB hubs: i have a 7 port 'Lifegoods' powered hub. Is it normal that it gets so extraordinary hot ?..... Almost can't even touch it. (all 7 ports are occupied).

Thanks !

Jan

On 1/31/2023 at 3:15 AM, Javiz said:

Hey guys,

I have an additional question about USB hubs: i have a 7 port 'Lifegoods' powered hub. Is it normal that it gets so extraordinary hot ?..... Almost can't even touch it. (all 7 ports are occupied).

Thanks !

To hot to touch is not good in my opinion. It might be that the total current demand of your 7 attached devices is higher than what the hub is rated for. Or perhaps one or more of your devices is pulling more current than an individual port is rated for. Some powered hubs have overcurrent and overheat protection built in. If you have the specs for your hub the current ratings may be listed. As a test you could try disconnecting a couple of the USB devices and see if that makes much difference.

Al

Edited by ark

Thanks very much, ark ! 

Yes, tried various things like removing some of the devices (in any case atleast 3 are just for led lighting my fancy Honeycomb Bravo TQ 😉 ) and even disconnect them all via the little knobs (love that, a faint blue light shows if the hub is on or off) and remove the power. Nothing matters, the hub case remains very hot. Tried searching for a hub with overcurrent/overheat protection but nothing showed up. For my Lifegoods 7 ports hub there are 154 short reviews, literally all thumbs up, nobody says anything about overheating. Funny huh....

Could it be that it's a case of 'just my luck' and this particular hub is just faulty ?... Recently i bought a second one because i needed even more peripherals (started using VR... totally amazing !.. 😉 ) 3 devices are connected sofar. No sign of heat whatsoever. I think i'll try switching them, see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again for your help, Ark, much appreciated !

Edited by Javiz
typo
  • Upvote 1

Jan