Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

I'm stunned. Didn't expected this.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:23 AM, peroni said:

It works with XP12 but has the same limitations of ortho4xp about coastlines and long loading times. 

All info here https://github.com/kubilus1/autoortho

So I'm somewhat behind on this, only just now hearing about autoortho.  I go to github and download from the code, then find some instructions, which says I need to have winFSP and I download this, and I even went to get the latest version of Python.

I read "You have setup and configured WinFSP" I extract, and find a readme, thence my eyes glaze over, and haven't a bloody clue what all this means and what to do with it.

Is there some detailed step by step tutorial available, I did watch some example flyby on utube but that's it?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

14 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

There is your answer 🙂 

There's no answer. 🙂 Triple monitor setup might be standard in a simming world, but it is still considered an extreme setup, like VR is. VR can eat up to 1/3 of FPS comparing to a single 1440p screen, so somewhere around performance with the triples. It depends on a VR resolution, etc etc. So I know what you are talking about, as I'm a VR user. The point of my post is last time I tested XP12, with 3090, on a single 1440p monitor, I was getting 60-70fps on the same location. From 70 to 110fps is a significant boost, and with that kind of FPS jump, the sim should be also ready for a VR.

Edited by Pe11e
  • Upvote 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I got AutoOrtho set up and working great. I tested it in the US and in Europe and it makes a tremendous difference. Of course I have to turn down my sliders a notch (3 monitors) but all-in-all, it is a great feature. Set it and go get a cup of coffee, return to a fully loaded sim with Ortho. Awesome! I can see that using AutoOrtho a bunch is going to burn my free data allotment quickly, so I will watch for that.

The only issue I have is that I cannot set my cache folder to use my dedicated SSD, instead it defaults to "C:\Users\myfolder\.autoortho-data" each time. I have written a batch file to delete these files on demand, but I would like it to not write and fill up my C  drive. Any thoughts?

17 hours ago, Pe11e said:

like VR is. VR can eat up to 1/3 of FPS comparing to a single 1440p screen,

It usually cuts in half for me but I have the same setup as you. It still performs well for me also.

3 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

It usually cuts in half for me but I have the same setup as you. It still performs well for me also.

Yeah, it's usually around 50% less fps with Quest 2 at default resolution and 1.4 or 1.5 SS. That is because luckily XP11 is more CPU demanding, so the rest of GPU cycles can be used in rendering the VR image(s).

• Like 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

4 hours ago, dolph98 said:

I got AutoOrtho set up and working great. I tested it in the US and in Europe and it makes a tremendous difference. Of course I have to turn down my sliders a notch (3 monitors) but all-in-all, it is a great feature

Is it still just ZL16 base with ZL18 around airports?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Is it still ZL16? Probably. It won't please some. I dunno what level it is, but it looks far better than default or just SimHeaven alone. I can live with the sometimes bad tiles and I am trying to ignore the uglies - still just playing with it really. It's a work in progress. I don't always fly with it, but when I do I spend a lot more time out of the cockpit than in.

21 hours ago, dolph98 said:

I got AutoOrtho set up and working great. I tested it in the US and in Europe and it makes a tremendous difference. Of course I have to turn down my sliders a notch (3 monitors) but all-in-all, it is a great feature. Set it and go get a cup of coffee, return to a fully loaded sim with Ortho. Awesome! I can see that using AutoOrtho a bunch is going to burn my free data allotment quickly, so I will watch for that.

The only issue I have is that I cannot set my cache folder to use my dedicated SSD, instead it defaults to "C:\Users\myfolder\.autoortho-data" each time. I have written a batch file to delete these files on demand, but I would like it to not write and fill up my C  drive. Any thoughts?

Go to your Windows\Users\(Your Computer) folder. There is a file called .autoortho. Open it with Notepad (or whatever you use). Change the  "cache_dir = (to wherever you want the cache to be stored)". Should store all cached scenery there from now on. Let me know.

Edited by kwbraley
took out a word

1 hour ago, kwbraley said:

Let me know.

It worked! I loaded a flight and then shut it all down and reloaded it again just to make sure, and it stuck. Thank you much! Not too sure why it wouldn't stick from the main window.

I heard somewhere that snow cover didn't work with ortho. It works fine here. This is the best tweak ever. While I'm still testing, I think I'll keep using autoortho until my free bandwidth is exhausted.

I don't fully understand Ortho and how this takes control to override the XP12 default scenery data, but I noted that if I reload the same scenario twice, no further files are downloaded to the cache on the second attempt. But it still takes a lot of time to load as it seems to be verifying every file again. Maybe there is something that can be done about that - like check a random few files and if present, take a chance that this is a repeat startup and jump out, skipping the check of all 60000+ files or however many for that location. Take a chance man! They're probably all there if a few of them are found to be present. I suppose there are times this would not work, perhaps when you are at an airport that is on or near the division line of two different areas. Or a second attempt after an aborted startup.

I will look around to see if there is another thread dedicated to this and join in there.

Take a look here. https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/259020-adding-on-the-fly-ortho-imagery-fetching-for-x-plane-11/&

I'm pretty sure 'martok80' (the creator of Autoortho) started this page. Lots of information. Some of it way beyond me.

Anyway, he is aware of the long load times. Hopefully it will improve 🤞. For me it's about the same as loading MSFS (I have a lot of immersive addons). The long load time is VERY insignificant compared to flying over endless beautiful ortho scenery (compared to the aweful, repetitive default stuff). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwbraley said:

Take a look here. https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/259020-adding-on-the-fly-ortho-imagery-fetching-for-x-plane-11/&

I'm pretty sure 'martok80' (the creator of Autoortho) started this page. Lots of information. Some of it way beyond me.

Anyway, he is aware of the long load times. Hopefully it will improve 🤞. For me it's about the same as loading MSFS (I have a lot of immersive addons). The long load time is VERY insignificant compared to flying over endless beautiful ortho scenery (compared to the aweful, repetitive default stuff). 

I have another problem with it. Long loading times is not a problem at all.
Using Autoortho 2.2.1 XP11 crashes after few minutes of flight, never found out why. 2.2.2 works ok, except it's using incredible amounts of virtual memory, I think up to 10gb. And that wouldn't be a problem, but it uses PageFile, which have to be expanded with new enormous data being written to, making CPU and SSD working like mad during that time, making XP11 FPS go down from 100 to 30ish FPS on occasions, causing HUGE stutters that I can even call frame freezes. I'm even thinking to disable pagefile, but not sure my 32gb of RAM would be enough, since XP11 alone is using 18gb when flight is loaded. Or maybe I should set PageFile to a 32gb x 1.5 = 48gb size? Maybe it'll help the huge frame drops.

Edited by Pe11e