Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Purchasing MSFS 2020

Hi, just after some advise as to where and how is the best and easiest way to purchase MSFS 2020, download or boxed edition, I would prefer the boxed edition but I guess that's not important  I'm in Australia.

Cheers.

Boxed edition is pointless unless you want it as a bookshelf ornament to sit with your older MSFS box set collection. It just downloads the game anyway.

Your two choices are:

1. buy from the MS Store
  2. buy from the Steam Store

Well there is a third option which is subscribe to the Xbox gamer pass thing but that is not optimal if you only want MSFS, you are far better just buying it.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Not sure but I suspect you are probably looking at well over 100GB downloaded and more like 200GB installed. If you are on slow internet it is likely worth taking your PC to a friend's place or your work (if they allow it) to do the download.

7 hours ago, doublebubble said:

Hi, just after some advise as to where and how is the best and easiest way to purchase MSFS 2020, download or boxed edition, I would prefer the boxed edition but I guess that's not important  I'm in Australia.

Cheers.

As others have mentioned, don't bother with the box edition. From my memory, I think a few people here at Avsim complained that the box/disc edition had technical problems with the discs.

In the end, even if you use the box/disc edition, you have a massive download anyways.  Just go with the digital edition.  And Steam probably has less technical issues than the Microsoft store version (although lately, it seems that the Microsoft store version has been smoother for everyone, but this was not the case back in 2020 and 2021).

I bought the boxed edition, but I only used it once ( the DVDs ) for installing. 

Whenever I reinstall MFS I use an image of dvd1 + my Store account. It works beautifully.

I always keep a backup of the last install's Community and official folders and the reinstalls are smooth & fast. Never experienced any problems reinstalling MFS.

I opted for the xBox insider so that I always have access to the beta channel too.

My main error was to buy the Standard Edition 😕  Upgrading costs a LOT, so, please consider the Premium and the Premium Plus versions before you decide.

And, congratulations. No matter what some say, MFS is by far the best present option for a general purpose flight simulator, for all reasons, from content to the huge community supporting it and the special energy and investment put into it by ASOBO and MS !!! (I play the other sims too...)

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Never been so sim-happy... MSFS 2020 &  (FSHUD & FSLTL # BATC)

14 hours ago, cagarini said:

My main error was to buy the Standard Edition

Depends on what you are after... I bought the Standard edition and am perfectly happy with it.. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

On 2/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, doublebubble said:

Cheers.

I'm an Aussie too I just bought it from MS Store.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Depends on what you are after..

Very much so with Premium Deluxe.

I bought the full package and it was well worth it for me just for the Baron, Steam Gauge 172 (especially with the new 172 mods and sound packs), SR22 and that wonderful little Pipistrel Virus.

However if your thing is airliners for example it would be a waste of money.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

As an aside, if you do the game pass route, I'd advise against buying anything from the Marketplace. If, like me, you do that and then decide on a Steam sale to get the sim, those purchases do not transfer over.

That was not a happy moment.