Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

MSFS2020 Won't Load

I've tried six or seven times to load MSFS2020 and after the Blackshark.ai and the disclaimer it jumps back to the desktop.  Deleted the last two addons of airports I created, which worked fine before, and same thing.  Tried running as administrator.  Same thing. I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions?

Roy

• Like 1

You don't mention an error message so I assume there isn't one. Sometimes logging out and into the Xbox appication fixes these things. Otherwise I would first try with an empty community folder in case an addon has suddenly become incompatible with recent changes in the sim.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

27 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

You don't mention an error message so I assume there isn't one. Sometimes logging out and into the Xbox appication fixes these things. Otherwise I would first try with an empty community folder in case an addon has suddenly become incompatible with recent changes in the sim.

Emptied Community Folder.  Same thing.  No error message, just goes to desktop.  Don't know anything about Xbox.  I don't own an Xbox and have never signed in to Xbox. My copy of MSFS2020 was downloaded from the Microsoft website.

Sounds like you may be either running or asking the sim to start an application during it's boot-up which may be causing your issue. have you gone through your xml file and removed any or all of those startup entries so you're running vanilla?

Edited by hangar
  • Like 1

I'm only clicking on MSFS2020 like I've been doing for two years.  Nothing else is running, so I guess I'm what you call plain vanilla.

I'm guessing that it's a ASOBO server problem.  The data to load the sim is not coming through. 

I'm going to wait and try again later before I uninstall/reinstall the sim. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I'm only clicking on MSFS2020 like I've been doing for two years.  Nothing else is running, so I guess I'm what you call plain vanilla.

I'm guessing that it's a ASOBO server problem.  The data to load the sim is not coming through. 

I'm going to wait and try again later before I uninstall/reinstall the sim. 

Roy:  no server issues here right now

• Reboot
  • Internet connection confirmed?
  • Sign out of the MS Store and Xbox apps
  • Are you running Process Lasso by chance?  If so, don't let it start w/ Windows
Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

23 minutes ago, Noel said:

Roy:  no server issues here right now

• Reboot
  • Internet connection confirmed?
  • Sign out of the MS Store and Xbox apps
  • Are you running Process Lasso by chance?  If so, don't let it start w/ Windows

I have rebooted several times.  Have internet connection or you wouldn't be seeing this.  Never heard of Process Lasso.

Will try signing out of MS Store.  It shows I'm signed in but I have no idea how to sign back in since I've never used it.

• Like 1

And Xbox app...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Emptied Community Folder.  Same thing.  No error message, just goes to desktop.  Don't know anything about Xbox.  I don't own an Xbox and have never signed in to Xbox. My copy of MSFS2020 was downloaded from the Microsoft website.

It's not about the Xbox device. It's about the Xbox app on your PC. Microsoft uses the Xbox franchise for its PC games too and the account you use in MSFS is actually an account in the Xbox franchise.

If there's a glitch connecting your account to the Xbox network it helps to explicitly log in again.
If MSFS crashes it is usually a faulty addon but when it fails to launch it could very well just be an account issue. It happened to me at least once and I solved it by:

1. Starting the MS Store app and check for updates. Make sure everything is updated, especially the Xbox app and the MS Store app itself.
  2. Log out of the Xbox app and log in again. Some people do the same for the MS Store app as well.

If you don't know which account to use, write it down before you log out. If you don't know the password you can reset it through the mail address you registered with.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

I

Starting the MS Store app and check for updates. Make sure everything is updated, especially the Xbox app and the MS Store app itself.

1. Log out of the Xbox app and log in again. Some people do the same for the MS Store app as well.

If you don't know which account to use, write it down before you log out. If you don't know the password you can reset it through the mail address you registered with.

Thanks for the information.  I didn't know this app even existed.  There were two updates concerning Xbox.  I installed them.  I found the XBox app and signed out.  Then I signed back in.  I clicked on the flight sim app there and it started the loading.  It crashed back to the XBox app at the same place as before. (50%) For what it's worth one of the Xbox updates was about identity.  I thought this might be what I needed, but it  was not the case.  Thanks anyway for explaining all this, but my problem is still there. Things used to be so simple.

Roy

Too bad it didn't work. Most issues are solved by (temporary) removing all addons in the community folder but you've already tried that.
I'm out of ideas but you could try the official Flight Simulator forums. There's a official CTD troubleshoot guide that might help you: Checklist: How to troubleshoot crashing/CTDs issues – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

If all else fails you could create a ticket for Zendesk (the official support method for MSFS) but usually people are at that point at their wits end.
Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Flightsim rig:

I have had this issue happen twice now and both times I had to unforntunately do a full reinstall. I would check your windows event viewer app under the start menu, you will find the error you're having there. Step 1. open Event viewer app 2. Go to Windows Logs 3. Go to Application 4. look for an error at the time your started MSFS 

Post the error and search.   

Theres not alot a info on this issue but it happens quite a bit if you google it and search the MSFS2020 forum.  I think it has to do with the xbox app but I have not found a fix.  Even Zendesk was no help.  

Like you I had 2 trouble free years until this started happening.  

Edited by Ryanmlt1

I fly mostly GA and Business jets around ORBX PNW | Im live near Boston so I also will fly in MA and ME |  KLEW- 3B1- KBED 

Also avid RC Pilot, Planes and Heli | Ride a Harley's and Snowmobiles! 

PC Setup: Intel i7 8700k | MD Z370 | MSA GTX1080 | H100 liquid Cooling | 250G SSD | PS RM750 | NZXT S340 Case | Windows 10 | AOC 27" 4K | P3D V4.5 | Saitek Yoke | Saitek Rudder pedals | Saitek Throttle Quad| Lots of Addons| 

2 hours ago, Ryanmlt1 said:

I have had this issue happen twice now and both times I had to unforntunately do a full reinstall. I would check your windows event viewer app under the start menu, you will find the error you're having there. Step 1. open Event viewer app 2. Go to Windows Logs 3. Go to Application 4. look for an error at the time your started MSFS 

Post the error and search.   

Theres not alot a info on this issue but it happens quite a bit if you google it and search the MSFS2020 forum.  I think it has to do with the xbox app but I have not found a fix.  Even Zendesk was no help.  

Like you I had 2 trouble free years until this started happening.  

Thanks for the info Ryan.  Here's the report:

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Flight Simulator SDK 0.20.5.0 (Core). Product Version: 0.20.5.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

Doesn't mean much to me.  I guess I'll reinstall.  Seems like from the beginning I have been fixing things with this sim more than I have been flying.  It will be a great sim when it is finished.

Roy

2 hours ago, Ryanmlt1 said:

13 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Doesn't mean much to me.  I guess I'll reinstall.

I feel for you.

Had this happen to me once and I almost went for a full re-install as it didn't make sense at all.

Somehow, because I had to re-install the graphics drivers for another purpose, MSFS started to come back to life. Go figure

Finally just did a reinstall.  5-1/2 hours later I'm up and running.  It looks like it saved my settings, but I still have to reload my Community Folder.  Thanks to all above for your input and help.

Roy

• Like 3