Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

Aerosoft Twin Otter for MSFS - 30% off

Thanks Tim. I know this is a favourite for many people (especially the FSX/P3D version), but the MSFS version gets bad rating on SimMarket (3/5 stars), due to poor sounds, lack of features and multiple different accounts needed for install, update and support. One reviewer prefers to fly on mute!

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

Well, I would say that if you liked their P3D version, this one is slightly better looking, behaving similarly but has worse sound.

I got it on sale too but prefer to fly Kodiak most of the time.

&

• Like 1

ugcx_banner.png

Sad to see that the old comments on the sounds are still what get mentioned time and again. The sounds have been improved and this is a great one to fly. We all have our own likes and dislikes. 

Ha!

If you're saying the sound had been improved I need to check. Actually I loved the plane back in P3D and I do not consider my money wasted here in MSFS.

While I love Kodiak and from my POV TwOtter is kind of redundant - STOL with floats avail., flying low and slow in remote places allowing to enjoy landscapes - I would not say I feel I wasted my money 😉

My reco as somebody owning the plane in question - regardless of the sound, if 23 EUR is not big amount for you - definately go, get it!

&

ugcx_banner.png

I haven't bought it on principle so far: Many months ago, Mathijs said they would order new records for a better sound set. From the videos, the sound records (the files) haven't been a problem at all, but the way the transition between them were handeled - and I mean the way how the frequencies are pitched up and down in contrast to the original file pitch, not the volumes. And that's something they've never even understood as a problem, and I believe they didn't even want to.

Now, they've come up with a new sound set. Whatever they have paid for that, it didn't fix THE main (and to me the only real) problem with the sounds at all! It's the same strange crossfade between the two sound files with different rpm's, and thus different pitches, that won't even nearly match - thus resulting in two propeller sounds simultanuously at certain stages, and a ridicoulus spool up sound on takeoff. You just need to watch newer youtube videos of it after the sound update.

That's something you could fix pretty easily in P3d times, if you had enough patience, by tweaking the corresponding parameters at the config file. I've done that a few times for some Carenado planes that had the same problem (for example the old C206 and the Pa-34 II). But now that everything is (probably??) coded, you can't access those files as a user. Maybe there is a chance as some say there would be a mod at flightsim.to which fixes that (?). But honestly, I'm not willing to spend any money into a product of a company that makes so much noise about their products in advance, but then still don't do the simple homework. In P3d, ground steering has been the killer for the DHC-6. And for the A330 and the CRJ (P3d), the missing compatibility with FSUIPC axes are a pain in the neck, alongside with months and years of bugs and CTDs after release. Now, I'm finally done with Aerosoft planes. Never had one that I could simply without problems since the Pa-31 by Digital Aviation.

There are other planes that can do the Twin Otter's missions pretty well, such as the Black Square C208. And unless I would have to land at Saba (which I don't have to), that's the far better choice to me. I'm sure the Twin Otter may be a good choice for many, but not for me as a musician.

• Like 1

Regards, Dominik