Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Any Pico 4 users here?

To be honest, I haven't been in X-Plane since MSFS but I did download the XP12 demo and will give that a blast at some point over the holidays. I'm mostly GA in VR and things just look so good in MSFS for VFR. I only got into VR earlier this year.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Understood.   It should be enjoyable.   Obviously that is what you found in MSFS.   Glad to find another GA flyer.

Thanks also Daube.   Your responses were very helpful.   Cheers.

You're welcome ! 🙂

I used the Pico4 in XPlane 12, unfortunately the performance on my old PC is not great, so I cannot really recommend any settings.

That being said, I would insist in using Virtual Desktop, to be purchased from the PicoStore, any other version will not work with the Pico if I understood properly. VD recently provided a new support for the Pico4 which allows to get rid of SteamVR. SteamVR is, to me, just an additional layer of troubles, and I'm glad I can finally get it out of the way, both in MSFS and in XPlane12. You simply have to launch XPlane with an option in the command line (something like "--openxr", I don't remember) and ensure you select the VDXR method in the Virtual Desktop Streamer application on your computer, and you should be good to go. The rest will just be able configuring your sim properly to achieve the best balance between smoothness and graphical quality.

Edited by Daube

I have seen that launch command line elsewhere.   These various key points are being collected in a document that I will try to work through, once I make a decision to take the plunge into VR.

Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, Rmmm said:

I have seen that launch command line elsewhere.   These various key points are being collected in a document that I will try to work through, once I make a decision to take the plunge into VR.

Thanks again.

Do it. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

As my G2 is almost unusable now (and finally it's not a cable problem), I jumped into the black friday craziness to get a brand new Pico 4 (at a used price) and a WiFi 6 PCI board. I wanted to prepare the software side and I'm unable to buy a Virtual Desktop license from Pico store.

Any tips ?

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Have you configured your Pico4, and created a Pico "account" (I mean a user, like an account on the forum or something) ?

I think I had to install the application "PicoVR" on my smartphone (and log into it with my Pico username) to browse the Pico Store and buy Virtual Desktop from there, but I'm not 100% sure anymore 😕

EDIT: should be possible from the PicoStore within the headset menu, you don't need to install the smartphone app I think....

Edited by Daube

@roland_lfor  -   Where did you buy your PICO 4?   Are you in the USA or EU?   Thanks

For anyone in the UK interested in the Pico 4, Smyths currently have it in-store for £199.99. Absolute bargain at that price for a great headset for MSFS imho.

After the first test with the Pico and a USB câble I'm a little bit disappointed with the latency. So I opened an Hotspot access on Windows side and connect the Pico directly on the PC through the WiFi6 adapter. Using Streaming Assistant metrics I notice a much lower latency. I did not test yet with MSFS.

Does someone use that connection option?

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites