Sign in to follow this  
bbain1187

Intel or AMD for New Build MSFS + P3D

Hi all,

My 6700k has served me quite well for 7+ years and I'm looking to start a complete rebuild, only keeping some SSD's. Looking for a high-end system running most likely a 4090 @ 4k. For now, I'm on P3D exclusively due to all my airliners and some of the limitations of MSFS such as no weather radar. However, I'd like to start transitioning to MSFS in the next year or two. Looking at the AMD X3D series, the upcoming 7800X3D looks like the way to go, although the 4.2 base clock (4.4 if moving up to the 7900) could be a problem for P3D, as it's very core speed-dependent. I'm not sure how the core boosting on the AMD works, i.e. is it just one at at time or could it be several cores at a moderate boost if scenery loading, etc. dictate that? The X3D series seems to crush the competition in MSFS, but wish I could see some P3D benchmarks. 

If I go Intel, I'd probably lean towards the 13700k. With some decent cooling, I could have all cores running close to 6.0. And there is a Raptor Lake refresh coming later this year, so the possibility to swap out the CPU later on is there. Any thoughts, especially from anyone who might be running both platforms?

Thanks!

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

53 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

And there is a Raptor Lake refresh coming later this year,

What is this? Link would be nice, if possible. TIA.

Answered my own ?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-roadmap-leaks-raptor-lake-refresh-hedt-replacement-in-2023

Edited by Twenty6
speelign

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

3 hours ago, bbain1187 said:

Looking at the AMD X3D series, the upcoming 7800X3D looks like the way to go, although the 4.2 base clock (4.4 if moving up to the 7900)

Well, you won't typically run at that speed in the sim.  It will be more like 4.7-5.2 ghz depending on PBO/optimizer etc.  based on Hardware Unboxed's testing.  Remember that with the current AMD x3D architecture the ghz printed on the box (5.7 ghz for the 7950X3D for example) is not what the 3D vcache CCD clocks to -- vcache CCD's even on 7950X3D are clocking to 4.7-5.2 ghz, but despite this are still outperforming Intel parts clocked at 6.0 ghz in certain niche applications like MSFS.  AMD are not lying to people with their marketing though, as indeed the NON-vcache CCD will clock at 5.5/5.7 ghz.   It's just that you wouldn't want to use the 5.7 ghz CCD in MSFS, as the vcache die runs it so much faster despite the lower clock.   It's a weird thing to wrap your head around if you're used to Intel and P3D like I am.

As for P3D, from what I can gather P3D benefits less from the AMD x3D.  For that sim you are right, clock speed is (more) king, and I would look at an Intel13700KF which is a high-bin 13700K.  I do not see any value to a 13900K/KF unless you have other productivity-oriented tasks you do, in which case yes, it's a fine cpu.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for the input. I did pull the trigger on the 13700k the other day but seeing all the 7800X3D hype has me rethinking my choices. Hate to make compromises but with the FSLabs A320 (and soon Concorde), PMDG heavies and iFly MAX, I'll be on P3D for awhile yet.

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

On 4/6/2023 at 10:27 PM, bbain1187 said:

Thanks for the input. I did pull the trigger on the 13700k the other day but seeing all the 7800X3D hype has me rethinking my choices. Hate to make compromises but with the FSLabs A320 (and soon Concorde), PMDG heavies and iFly MAX, I'll be on P3D for awhile yet.

So what arte you going for then?