Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Black Square Baron & Bonanza - rotary switch does not start

On both these aircraft, after precisely following the provided checklist, I cannot get the engines to start using the rotary switch - I roll the switch with my mouse to start, the prop does a quarter rotation and stops and the switch moves back to the both position.  No problems at all doing this with the default Baron & Bonanza they start just fine.  Now I do have a Honeycomb yoke but I have unbinded the rotary switch bindings (this at least enabled me to rotate the starter with my mouse).  Curiously I could, after a lot of coaxing, get the Bonanza to start with Control E  (but not with the Baron).  So what have I missed here?  Assistance appreciated. Thank you.

Bruce

Edited by brucewtb
New info

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

No ideas anyone with this?

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I think I have this.  With mouse wheel it won't stay on start.  So instead click it with the mouse and hold it till it starts.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks but while that trick gets the prop to keep spinning the engine does not fire up.  This is getting a bit annoying after all the rave reviews for this bird.  Similar issues with the Bonanza but at least I can get Control E to work with that one.

Bruce

Edited by brucewtb
typo

Bruce Bartlett

For me it was make sure on the Honeycomb where the start switch is.  If its on both it will not let you switch it in the plane to start.  I would just put it on off and start it with the switch on the Honeycomb. Same goes for the other switches like lights etc.

Thank you but I have unbounded the Honeycomb rotary switch. Anyhow I seemed to have fixed it (touch wood it probably won't work tomorrow) by setting the boost pump to high for a cold start and maybe low for a hot start.  The engines fire up with this setting both in the Baron and the Bonanza. This is quite contrary to the checklist so go figure!  Makes things very confusing for the hapless user of this expensive addon.  I have also noticed some other anomalies which are probably too picky to mention like the stb alt annunciator warning always on in the Bonanza regardless of the actual setting - is that normal?

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

You have to prime the engine for a longer time in cold weather, below zero I had to prime it for about 10 seconds to make it start.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

6 hours ago, brucewtb said:

stb alt annunciator warning always on in the Bonanza

I have the same issue, other then that, I have no problems stating the Bonanza using the Honeycomb start switch. It is a joy to fly.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

14 hours ago, Ixoye said:

You have to prime the engine for a longer time in cold weather, below zero I had to prime it for about 10 seconds to make it start.

That perhaps that has been the issue all along as priming the engine for a lot longer than 2-3 secs even at temps above 20 deg C seems to solve the starting issues even with the Honeycomb rotary switch.  Thanks all for your assistance.

Bruce

Edited by brucewtb

Bruce Bartlett

4 hours ago, brucewtb said:

That perhaps that has been the issue all along as priming the engine for a lot longer than 2-3 secs even at temps above 20 deg C seems to solve the starting issues even with the Honeycomb rotary switch.  Thanks all for your assistance.

Bruce

Also, don’t open your throttle too much when you’re cranking the engine. I couldn’t start the engine either and the solution was to close the throttle more during start. Really just open it a tiny little bit. That should be enough. If you open it more, the engine will not catch. 

Edited by petz_e

19 hours ago, CarlosF said:

I have the same issue, other then that, I have no problems stating the Bonanza using the Honeycomb start switch. It is a joy to fly.

Solution for me with Alpha yoke was to map Alternator rocker switch to "on" and "off". rather than "Set Alternator". Stopped the Stby Alt annunciator light.

• Like 2