Sign in to follow this  
BlackViking90

MSFS 2020 low fps on high end PC. Need help please!!

Hi. I'm facing very low fps on MSFS 2020 (latest build).

Went through many posts on different forums on the web but can't really find a solution.

My specs:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • EVGA RTX 3090 Ti
  • 32 GB 3600Mhz
  • 4K monitor

GPU utilisation stays around 40%. I saw many videos on YouTube where with same specs people are pulling 60+ fps on their rigs and gpu utilisation is maxed out to 99%.

Many forums posts suggest that it's due to CPU bottleneck. But technically I don't understand how a bottleneck can occur with such high specs.

The only possibility would be sim limitations (how sim utilises different cpu cores for efficiency and optimisation).

Anyhow, I checked this using different tools like HWMonitor, GPUZ and Task manager. Screenshots are attached.

I see my 16 core, 32 thread cpu has full load on 2 threads, mild load on 3-4 threads and rest and just sitting idle.

Not sure why is this happening. Also in HWMonitor I observed CPU temps hitting 90+ degrees once. YIKESSS!!!

I believe that would be due to the warm room temperature and my not so good thermal solution I'm currently using for my CPU (Cooler Master HYPER 212 Turbo). I plan on replacing this with a liquid cooler in next week.

Anyhow, to manage the temperature I turned on my room AC and opened the side panel of my pc casing for better airflow and soon CPU was at around 64 degrees and while GPU was around 68 degrees.

But even with temperatures now maintained didn't show any improvement in FPS.

I'm confused here on what to try to fix this. OR if this is just a sim issue.

Don't understand how other people on YouTube are squeezing so much out of the same specs.

Any help is much appreciated.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Title non-capitalised

What are your MSFS settings? Addon airport? Traffic? Does the sim say you are main thread or GPU limited if you look at the FPS counter in dev mode?

Your CPU utilization looks right- the sim will not utilize all your cores, not even close. A better cooling solution should help out quite a bit.

The 3090 Ti isn’t really ideal for MSFS because you can’t use Frame Generation. You should still be doing a lot better than you are though. I was usually getting 40-55 fps at 4K with my 3080 and a mix of high and ultra settings (Now 100-120 fps with 4090 and frame generation, settings almost all ultra).

Edited by kiwikat
  • Upvote 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Online Bottleneck calculator. Notice my specs way below yours. Yet bottleneck shows zero, 100% utilization, no bottleneck. 

https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottleneck calculator   Game Bottleneck calculator   FPS calculator

https://pc-builds.com/

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

And with one 120 mm Corsair H60 water cooler, temps in MSFS can run as high the 70's. When I boot windows to desktop it's high 40s or low 50s. 

(But I'm also using a high performance fan on the Corsair radiator instead of the Corsair fan that comes with the cooler: Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 3000 RPM (120mm, Black) from Amazon. Sure a 3000 rpm fan is noisy. Frankly,  I don't care,  white noise is a pleasing sound to my ears).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

if iam reading this correctly , you are using a single fan AIO to run a 5900x and MSFS correct ?

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

41 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

What are your MSFS settings? Addon airport? Traffic? Does the sim say you are main thread or GPU limited if you look at the FPS counter in dev mode?

Your CPU utilization looks right- the sim will not utilize all your cores, not even close. A better cooling solution should help out quite a bit.

The 3090 Ti isn’t really ideal for MSFS because you can’t use Frame Generation. You should still be doing a lot better than you are though. I was usually getting 40-55 fps at 4K with my 3080 and a mix of high and ultra settings (Now 100-120 fps with 4090 and frame generation, settings almost all ultra).

@kiwikat I'm running on Ultra settings. LOD is 200. Default Heathrow airport. No airport add-on. And sitting idle on runway in a PMDG 737-700.

I didn't check the stats from dev mode. Will do that and post back.

> You should still be doing a lot better than you are though

My point exactly. Don't understand what's wrong.

11 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

if iam reading this correctly , you are using a single fan AIO to run a 5900x and MSFS correct ?

Even worse. That's air cooler. 

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

Oh no , noctua or not that's just not going to cut the mustard 

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

49 minutes ago, Fielder said:

And with one 120 mm Corsair H60 water cooler, temps in MSFS can run as high the 70's. When I boot windows to desktop it's high 40s or low 50s. 

(But I'm also using a high performance fan on the Corsair radiator instead of the Corsair fan that comes with the cooler: Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 3000 RPM (120mm, Black) from Amazon. Sure a 3000 rpm fan is noisy. Frankly,  I don't care,  white noise is a pleasing sound to my ears).

Mr Fielder, go get a decent 280 minimum AIO right now , i would recommend Arctic Freezer 2 the one i use if your case can fit it , what ever you choose do it now 

PS and forget to get good quality paste !

Edited by sonny147

Can't, larger one won't fit. The 120 H60 has ran fine for a year. Keeps everything really cool. 

11 hours ago, BlackViking90 said:

@kiwikat I'm running on Ultra settings. LOD is 200. Default Heathrow airport. No airport add-on. And sitting idle on runway in a PMDG 737-700.

I didn't check the stats from dev mode. Will do that and post back.

> You should still be doing a lot better than you are though

My point exactly. Don't understand what's wrong.

I don't think it is really thermal throttling, so the cooler won't be "the" solution. 

At which LOD do you get 60 fps?

Some random thoughts; On which SSD is MSFS located? check the mobo manual on which m.2 has most lanes to you CPU. might be bottle necked in that way. 

As a starting point :

First set both your LOD sliders back to 100.
Also take a look at your Traffic tab. Set them all to 0% and then take a look at your FPS again.

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 hours ago, xenonsk said:

Even worse. That's air cooler. 

13 hours ago, sonny147 said:

Oh no , noctua or not that's just not going to cut the mustard 

13 hours ago, sonny147 said:

Mr Fielder, go get a decent 280 minimum AIO right now , i would recommend Arctic Freezer 2 the one i use if your case can fit it , what ever you choose do it now 

A quality air-cooler is perfectly capable of keeping the 5950x in normal operating temperatures.

Here the NH-D15 is able to keep the 5950x @ 71C when running ALL cores @ 100% (162w) on Cinebench:

xkPlCZR.png

With that being said, there are some high temperatures appearing the shared screenshots, so perhaps it might be worth it to run Cinebench and check how are the readings on the Multicore test.

Nevertheless, I don't see anything particular wrong with the pic below:

1kaNLNA.jpg

GPU Load seems to be reasonable when a high-end aircraft is used on what seems to be a major hub with AI traffic.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus