Sign in to follow this  
Arun

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D cache

Hoping someone with this cpu can help. 

With every game the cpu automatically parks cpu11 to cpu24 threads and boosts the cpu to 5.4 ghz.

But for some reason its not parking those threads for MSFS. 

Am i missing something? 

https://imgur.com/a/KYW5vCg

Windows 11 | MSI PRO X670-P WIFI AM5 Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D | MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB SUPREME  X | CORSAIR VENG 4800 DDR5 | WD 1TB M.2 | WD 2TB M.2 | LG - OLED48C14LB 48" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR | Seasonic Vertex GX 1200W PSW. 

u need to set cpu affinity to 0-11 in process lasso. Windows doesnt do it , at least on my system.  Also, make sure the core engine is not running when you start msfs, otherwise it wont run! 

Edited by wiler

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Do you have latest bios version and latest chipset drivers? I have read that these x3d cpu automatically uses ccd0 cores with v cache while playing msfs. But you say no… maybe you should try to update your bios and chipset driver.

• Upvote 1

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

Yes all the drivers are updated. As i say it parks the cores for all other games. Except MSFS. 

Windows 11 | MSI PRO X670-P WIFI AM5 Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D | MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB SUPREME  X | CORSAIR VENG 4800 DDR5 | WD 1TB M.2 | WD 2TB M.2 | LG - OLED48C14LB 48" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR | Seasonic Vertex GX 1200W PSW. 

2 hours ago, spitzer45 said:

Do you have latest bios version and latest chipset drivers? I have read that these x3d cpu automatically uses ccd0 cores with v cache while playing msfs. But you say no… maybe you should try to update your bios and chipset driver.

yes I do and no it doesnt park msfs thread to the correct cores.  need process lasso to do it! 

1 hour ago, wiler said:

yes I do and no it doesnt park msfs thread to the correct cores.  need process lasso to do it! 

I read this at msfs official forum, msfs is using ccd0 with v cache cores automatically. Maybe this is related to different brands mobo and drivers. I don’t know but it seems some people like you encounters same problems about this topic.

C. Uygar

If I don't use Process Lasso, I reckon I see the operating system automatically assign CCD0 to MSFS about 70% of the time. With Chipset drivers ad game bar installed, it works more often than it doesn't. That said, I generally use Process Lasso anyway to put all the other stuff I run on CCD1 (Pilot2Atc, AIG, A Pilots Life, RealTraffic, PSXT, CHrome etc etc) and assign MSFS only to CCD0.

Only problem with using Process Lasso is that the game won't launch if you start PL first - You've got to start PL after you've launched MSFS....well, for me anyway.  

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

3 hours ago, KL Oo said:

If I don't use Process Lasso, I reckon I see the operating system automatically assign CCD0 to MSFS about 70% of the time. With Chipset drivers ad game bar installed, it works more often than it doesn't. That said, I generally use Process Lasso anyway to put all the other stuff I run on CCD1 (Pilot2Atc, AIG, A Pilots Life, RealTraffic, PSXT, CHrome etc etc) and assign MSFS only to CCD0.

Only problem with using Process Lasso is that the game won't launch if you start PL first - You've got to start PL after you've launched MSFS....well, for me anyway.  

yes i mentioned that in the thread about turning off PL before starting msfs. I park all other threads to 2nd ccd so only the msfs runs on ccd1 everytime. Its a very big difference in performance. 

Process lasso looks very complicated. Is there any easy to follow tutorials?

4 hours ago, Arun said:

Process lasso looks very complicated. Is there any easy to follow tutorials?

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+process+lasso+tutorials

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

“You could set the scheduler in your bios to always "prefer cache". Most games like that the most. Some of your apps might get a hit in performance, but if gaming is the most important, that might still be a good setting.”

Quoted from Reddit post… you can try.

• Like 1

C. Uygar

On 4/11/2023 at 9:30 PM, spitzer45 said:

“You could set the scheduler in your bios to always "prefer cache". Most games like that the most. Some of your apps might get a hit in performance, but if gaming is the most important, that might still be a good setting.”

Quoted from Reddit post… you can try.

Ultimately it is up to Microsoft and AMD to make sure all games applications get the most out of these CPU's. Most games will probably just have to use the CCD0 cores, applications might benefit more from the faster (in clockspeed) CCD1 cores.
Is it already clear what works best for MSFS? As a game it probably favors the CCD0 cores but it likes fast clockspeeds too. It is very possibly that having both CCD0 and CCD1 active might not be a bad solution for MSFS.

I would guess that the MSFS mainthread prefers faster clockspeeds (CCD1) while things to do with AI might like the extra cache on the CCD0 cores, but that's just a shot in the dark.
It would be nice if Asobo could advise us, or even have MSFS automatically assign threads to cores that it benefits the most from. It is unlikely though, since there's only a minute fraction using the 7950x3D or 7900x3D.

With Intel CPU's there is a similar situation where you want MSFS to use the Performance cores.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

26 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Ultimately it is up to Microsoft and AMD to make sure all games applications get the most out of these CPU's. Most games will probably just have to use the CCD0 cores, applications might benefit more from the faster (in clockspeed) CCD1 cores.
Is it already clear what works best for MSFS? As a game it probably favors the CCD0 cores but it likes fast clockspeeds too. It is very possibly that having both CCD0 and CCD1 active might not be a bad solution for MSFS.

I would guess that the MSFS mainthread prefers faster clockspeeds (CCD1) while things to do with AI might like the extra cache on the CCD0 cores, but that's just a shot in the dark.
It would be nice if Asobo could advise us, or even have MSFS automatically assign threads to cores that it benefits the most from. It is unlikely though, since there's only a minute fraction using the 7950x3D or 7900x3D.

With Intel CPU's there is a similar situation where you want MSFS to use the Performance cores.

0-11 works the best after trying different scenerios. The advantage is huge.  need Processo Lasso otherwise windows will use ccd2 for MSFS

• Like 1

Hello again,

I have finished my built, I’m using 7950x3d and it is using ccd0(v cache cores, first 16 cores) when playing msfs 2020 and performance is very good. But it didn’t use ccd0 before latest chipset driver update. You should use latest chipset drivers from amd official site, at not motherboard site. Because chipset driver at my mobo site(msi) is still old one.

C. Uygar

On 4/10/2023 at 7:01 PM, spitzer45 said:

I read this at msfs official forum, msfs is using ccd0 with v cache cores automatically. Maybe this is related to different brands mobo and drivers. I don’t know but it seems some people like you encounters same problems about this topic.

I learned from someone with a 7950x3D that MSFS automatically runs on the CCD0 cores but only when the Xbox gamebar is installed (and perhaps running). This will make sure Windows recognizes MSFS as a game that benefits from not using the CCD1 cores.

He also told me that Project Lasso is not recommended because it can actually hinder performance. I don't know if that is just when it is misconfigured or not.
Since I don't have a 7xxx CPU (yet) I cannot speak from own experience but I thought I might share it anyway.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5