Sign in to follow this  
The Flight Level

ATR 72-600 Discovery Series

ATR 72-600 Discovery Series Episode 1: Series Introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x78AEpubZiY

ATR 72-600 Discovery Series Episode 2: Aircraft Overview and Systems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dlduQp_SKw

ATR 72-600 Discovery Series Episode 3: Simulator Functionality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZEUqtqq6I

ATR 72-600 Discovery Series Episode 4: Cold and Dark Setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dsIW6nAvfk

ATR 72-600 Discovery Series Episode 5: Take Off & Climb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Xcm4Up3WE

ATR 72-600 Discovery Series Episode 6: Cruise, Descent, Approach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yd0aQkQtU

• Like 18
  • Upvote 3

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

Nice find. Thank you. Just took her out for the first short circuit around ESSB. Felt kind of nice TBH. Probably did just about everything wrong but as they say; every landing you can walk away from is a good one.. 😉

• Like 3

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I find this is the perfect aircraft for training. The legs are usually short, something around 45 to 60 minutes. This way you get lots of practice with FMC programming and flying approaches.

• Like 3

Hi all

Excellent video's

I am really enjoying the ATR

However I have a question that hopefully  someone will be able to help me with. Relating to entering my own independent flight plan into the FMC.

I would like to enter MY OWN VERY SIMPLE flight plan into the FMC say only a departure, one nav point which is approximately 20 NM from the arrival runway and the destination runway eg.

As a Kiwi I usually fly in NZ, so I would like to depart from NZGS arrive at NZAA using TOONA as a approach point to the Auckland runway.

I can enter the DEP / ARV no issues but don't seam to be able to enter any nave points? I cant even get the FMC to accept a direct to nav point other than the arrival runway.

I am not very familiar with using a FMC, BUT in other aircraft I can normally get this to work. (e.g. in PMDG 737 or the Airosoft  CRJ. 

Note: I am not bothered about following proper flight plane e.g. STAR or SID.  So even if I could simply enter a direct to TOONA I would be happy.  However no mater what I try to enter into the FMC it reports "not in database".

I like to manual fly the departure and arrival / landings but use the auto pilot for the boring bit in the middle.  

I am aware this is probably my lack of knowledge,  So is there a FMC for dummies video or document somewhere?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Best wishes.

Bob

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rlaycock said:

Hi all

As a Kiwi I usually fly in NZ, so I would like to depart from NZGS arrive at NZAA using TOONA as a approach point to the Auckland runway.

Best wishes.

Bob

G'day Bob,

If you don't have navigraph nav data installed, then it's possible TOONA isn't in the simulators native database. It falls on route Q718 which isn't typically used for arrivals into Auckland.

If you don't wish to load a STAR then I would suggest GITUK then LENGU as an alternative for RWY 05R. If you're going to 23L, you could just go direct to EMRAG

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

20 minutes ago, markadeane said:

G'day Bob,

If you don't have navigraph nav data installed, then it's possible TOONA isn't in the simulators native database. It falls on route Q718 which isn't typically used for arrivals into Auckland.

If you don't wish to load a STAR then I would suggest GITUK then LENGU as an alternative for RWY 05R. If you're going to 23L, you could just go direct to EMRAG

Hi

Thank you very much for the reply.

That sort of makes sense as I don't have navigraph or any nav data installed. (I guess the PMDG  737 somehow has this nav point in its data base as the PMDG 737 finds TOONA?)

I will have a go to see if I can set a SIMPLY flight plan from NZGS to NZAA via one of the points you recommend and see how I get on.

However I feel I need more BASIC info on FMC use.  As most of the time I am simply guessing what to enter.  As I say at the moment I am not interested in following correct flight plans STAR SID or and V-Nav stuff but do like to be able to set a nav point then get a the Autopilot to follow it.  Very much what I do in a GA aircraft . which I use most of the time.

Thanks again for the help.

Best wishes.

Bob

Good find thanks for the videos

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, markadeane said:

G'day Bob,

Hi markadeane

Thanks for your help

FYI I did as you suggested did a simple flight plan from NZTG to NZAA using LENGE as the approach point and it worked perfectly.

So it looks like your are correct, that TOONA is not in the data base.

So I guess now I need to use little nave map (which I have open on a separate machine) to randomly select approach points until I find one that is in the data base?

Best wishes.

Bob

PS

I think I am going to enjoy the ATR very much.  I like the 42 as opposed to the 72,  also the level of detail is fine by me. 

Edited by rlaycock

16 hours ago, rlaycock said:

Hi markadeane

So I guess now I need to use little nave map (which I have open on a separate machine) to randomly select approach points until I find one that is in the data base?

Best wishes.

Bob

PS

I think I am going to enjoy the ATR very much.  I like the 42 as opposed to the 72,  also the level of detail is fine by me. 

Hi Bob,

You could also use the skyvector.com website, which has enroute charts for the whole world. Go to that website, then at top right, click "World Lo". You'll then be able to move around the world map to locate your desired airport pair, and see the various routes and waypoints you could enter between the two.

Once you get a little more confident, I'd recommend going to www.aip.net.nz, where you can get all of our Aeronautical charts for the various airports. This will help you with locating the Initial approach fix for a given approach.

Most airports have a specific page of "Standard Route Clearances" which show the usual routes used between there and other commonly flown destinations. At a bare minimum you could pick the first waypoint in the clearance, then depart visually to that point.

I agree, it's a fun aircraft. What they've done well, they've done very well. It does need some polishing on a number of key areas that directly affect the usability, and it's easy to get the autopilot in a  muddle if you go clicking the wrong button at the wrong time, but for the money it's a good proposition. 

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg