Sign in to follow this  
martynmnart

FPS help again!

Can anyone help me understand what’s going on here? I’m struggling to get above 30fps but the main problem is stuttering. I have a i7 10900 and an RTX2080 super. I know this isn’t the newest or best hardware but surely I should be getting better performance. I’ve seen posts from people with similar or worse setups with better performance.
Even running low or medium preset with both LOD sliders to the lowest setting, no traffic, boats cars etc all off, I still get no more than 35-40 fps and stutters. I’ve tried VSYNC on and off, I’ve tried locking it to 30 in nvidia settings. I’ve tried so many things I’ve read online, followed numerous guides. I’ve reinstalled msfs twice. Ive installed it on the windows SSD and now it’s own SSD. I’ve checked XMP, I’ve turned off game mode and HAGS (game mode helped slighly) I’ve tried running in offline mode to eliminate Internet issues. I’ve reinstalled windows. Tried the latest drivers. Had CTD with nvidia so rolled back to the known working one (can’t remember version number). I’ve followed the guides about lowering the mainthread and increasing the GPU etc but nothing seems to work. Temps are fine, Cpu barely goes above 70 and gpu usually around 50-60. The only mods I’m running is the FBW a320. I’ve tried running with the community folder empty including after fresh install and it’s the same. Is there something obvious I’m overlooking? I’m not looking for really high FPS, just a smooth, stutter free experience would be nice. Capping the FPS to 30 seems to give more stuttering than uncapped. I’ve tried the cache settings, they didn’t seem to have any effect on the stuttering. Both drives are NVMe drives. The one it’s currently installed on is a 1tb Samsung 970 evo. I’ve checked regularly what’s running in the background and I’ve disabled as much as possible at startup as well as ending any processes that aren’t needed while flying. I’ve also set the priority to high but again, it doesn’t seem to make any difference
Also tried DX11 and DX12. DX11 seems to run slightly better
It’s driving me mad, I’ve never had problems with any other game on this system, it just doesn’t seem to like msfs. Thank

Hi.

Tried to delete Nvidia cache? 1#(C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Nvidia). DXCache & GLCache folders. You might get that you cant delete everything. Just skip and your done with that. 
#2 If you are familiar doing something on your registry Editor. Try this. Open reg edit. Find HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndu. Mark Ndu in left window. Find start in right window. Mark this and rightclick mouse and modify. A new window will appear. In Value it should tell you that 2 is the number. Change this to 4. Hit OK and your done. Close registry Editor. Restart computer. Then you can try MSFS and see if it helped you. 

It did for me and I could also change to even higher graphics.

If you're not familiar with editing your registry dont do it. If you do it is your own risk. If it doesnt help you can set 2 in registry again. Tell me if you having problem and I will try help you further.

Hope it works out for you

Regards
FSMicroX

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 CPU Tray 2.6 GHz/4.4 GHz | RAM: Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 2666 MHz 16GB | GPU: Gainward GeForce RTX 3060 Ghost | HD: Kingston NV1 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB x2 | Skjerm: Samsung 32" Odyssey G5 Curved | OS: Windows 11 Home

CPU Limit, end of the story. You can turn on Dev Mode and activate the FPS counter. It will tell you «limited by main thread» if you are in a CPU limit.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

15 minutes ago, FSMicroX said:

Hi.

Tried to delete Nvidia cache? 1#(C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Nvidia). DXCache & GLCache folders. You might get that you cant delete everything. Just skip and your done with that. 
#2 If you are familiar doing something on your registry Editor. Try this. Open reg edit. Find HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndu. Mark Ndu in left window. Find start in right window. Mark this and rightclick mouse and modify. A new window will appear. In Value it should tell you that 2 is the number. Change this to 4. Hit OK and your done. Close registry Editor. Restart computer. Then you can try MSFS and see if it helped you. 

It did for me and I could also change to even higher graphics.

If you're not familiar with editing your registry dont do it. If you do it is your own risk. If it doesnt help you can set 2 in registry again. Tell me if you having problem and I will try help you further.

Hope it works out for you

Regards
FSMicroX

Thanks for the reply, I've already done both of your suggestions but unfortunately it hasn't helped, I appreciate the suggestions though. 

16 minutes ago, AnkH said:

CPU Limit, end of the story. You can turn on Dev Mode and activate the FPS counter. It will tell you «limited by main thread» if you are in a CPU limit.

I understand that the CPU is the limit, the problem is why is it limiting performance so much? I know it's not a new chip but a 10900 on lowest settings possible should be capable of more than 30fps. There are people running much older hardware, on higher settings than I can and still hitting 30fps or more. Even with no air traffic, no ground traffic or cars, boats and both LOD sliders to the minimum I'm still struggling to hit 30fps. That can't be right for a 10900 and a 2080super 

10 minutes ago, martynmnart said:

I understand that the CPU is the limit, the problem is why is it limiting performance so much? I know it's not a new chip but a 10900 on lowest settings possible should be capable of more than 30fps.

That may depend on the airplane, the screen resolution, the airport / scenery, traffic, weather, etc..

What happens if you fly the default C152 out of a default airport?

Clearly you can experiment with the settings... but what about starting with default "high" settings and fps set to 30 (half the screen refresh, assuming a 60 Hz monitor), DX11, nothing fancy..

Bert

2 hours ago, martynmnart said:

I’ve tried locking it to 30 in nvidia settings.

I find locking the FPS with Riva Tuner gives better results than doing it in the Nvidia settings.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

14 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That may depend on the airplane, the screen resolution, the airport / scenery, traffic, weather, etc..

What happens if you fly the default C152 out of a default airport?

Clearly you can experiment with the settings... but what about starting with default "high" settings and fps set to 30 (half the screen refresh, assuming a 60 Hz monitor), DX11, nothing fancy..

I still get stutters with the default 152, not as bad but they are still there. I have a 144hz monitor but I have set the refresh rate to 60 to do as you say but still makes no difference. The strange thing is, if I set it to low, medium or high presets and fps set to 30, the fps and frame times using developer mode don't seem to change much. It still struggles to hit 30fps and get constant stutters on the ground and on approach. I just don't understand how going from low to high makes no difference at all. If its struggling at low, surely high should be unplayable. I've played many other games using this system and have never come across this problem before. 

We can help. What are ALL of your settings? This includes your Nvidia control panel. Let's start there. Put your NVIDIA CP and set it to default first. Then....Set NC to high performance for MSFS. Latency to ultra if you like. Gsync on. Don't touch anything else for now.

Turn off all OC (which it seems you have) and keep it off for now. This includes RAM and GPU obviously, you know.

Start there. Also, do you have any mods/addons of any kind? Including from marketplace? You stated two different things: you said you only had the FBW but you also emptied your community folder which means (I assume) you have more addons....

Powerlines/VFR objects, scenery including freeware and payware airports? Any AI traffic (AIG, FSLTL, etc)?

Did you delete rolling and manual cache? Set Ultra to pre-cache(where it loads terrain ahead of you as you fly).

I am at work but will try and help when i get back.

Edited by Sonosusto

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

20 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

We can help. What are ALL of your settings? This includes your Nvidia control panel. Let's start there. Put your NVIDIA CP and set it to default first. Then....Set NC to high performance for MSFS. Latency to ultra if you like. Gsync on. Don't touch anything else for now.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give this a try. 

Turn off all OC (which it seems you have) and keep it off for now. This includes RAM and GPU obviously, you know.

Other than XMP, I have no OC.

Start there. Also, do you have any mods/addons of any kind? Including from marketplace? You stated two different things: you said you only had the FBW but you also emptied your community folder which means (I assume) you have more addons....

Powerlines/VFR objects, scenery including freeware and payware airports? Any AI traffic (AIG, FSLTL, etc)?

I did have FSLTL as well as the FBW a320 and simbridge. I was also running the Google maps addon. I tried emptying the community folder previously however since the last reinstall, the only mod in the community folder is the FBW a320. 

Did you delete rolling and manual cache? Set Ultra to pre-cache(where it loads terrain ahead of you as you fly).

I am at work but will try and help when i get back.

I deleted both cache, as well as the Nvidia shader cache. I will try deleting all again when I'm next on and report back. Thanks for the help 

2 hours ago, martynmnart said:

I know it's not a new chip but a 10900 on lowest settings possible should be capable of more than 30fps. There are people running much older hardware, on higher settings than I can and still hitting 30fps or more.

I agree that you should be able to get smooth performance with that system... I run a 4770K @ 4.1 with a GTX1070 which is less than you have and get smooth flight on a 1080p monitor.  Settings on "High" and fps set to 30 in the sim. No custom settings in Nvidia Control Panel.  No other performance tweaks.

Bert

I have the same system. I overclocked to 4.6ghz. Bought a 4k tv, use it at 30hz refresh rate using unlimited frames. It stutters once in a while if my traffic is too high. I also us DLSS because any other setting causes stutters as well. First step is overclocking. 

Tony Fontaine

1 hour ago, martynmnart said:

Thanks for the reply, I'll give this a try. 

Other than XMP, I have no OC.

I did have FSLTL as well as the FBW a320 and simbridge. I was also running the Google maps addon. I tried emptying the community folder previously however since the last reinstall, the only mod in the community folder is the FBW a320. 

I deleted both cache, as well as the Nvidia shader cache. I will try deleting all again when I'm next on and report back. Thanks for the help 

Simbridge had performance issues for a while.  No idea if it's been fixed but it's something to look into.

• Like 1

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

1 hour ago, martynmnart said:

I did have FSLTL as well as the FBW a320 and simbridge. I was also running the Google maps addon.

To get to the bottom of this... you really need to run the sim without addons as a test.

Or, accept the fact that, depending on the addons and the scenery location, MSFS can produce stutters or pauses. Nothing to do with your system per se..

If I fly over Seattle, I also get pauses, which I do not get if I fly elsewhere.. so possibly what you are seeing is not that unusual.  Hard to say without seeing it first hand. 😉

Bert

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

To get to the bottom of this... you really need to run the sim without addons as a test.

Or, accept the fact that, depending on the addons and the scenery location, MSFS can produce stutters or pauses. Nothing to do with your system per se..

If I fly over Seattle, I also get pauses, which I do not get if I fly elsewhere.. so possibly what you are seeing is not that unusual.  Hard to say without seeing it first hand. 😉

Bert is certainly right about the addons. At least to first rule anything out initially.

ZERO addons, including the marketplace. I mean zero. Literally zero. Official and Community.

Get rid of your XMP profile for now. I know it can help but I have a lower CPU and same GPU with a 4k monitor and second 1080p monitor running AIG, Pilot2ATC, Navigraph etc and I mostly fly higher-fidelity payware planes and have less issues than you.

Make sure your Terrain LOD and Object LOD are set to 50 for now. All other programs off. No Web browsing, no apps, no discord, turn off windows defender.

Then get back on here and tell us an update

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

22 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Get rid of your XMP profile for now.

Seems a bit extreme... but fine, as a test.. 😉

• Upvote 2

Bert