Sign in to follow this  
Guest Xiderpunk

I'm interested in FEX, but...

I don't have UTX so I suppose I'm good on that front.I do have XGraphics but can't find any water textures that are muted and dulled (like real life). The tropical water in FSX is neon bright blue even on a cloudy day.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Speed

I bought it purely because it had Peter Wildings name on it.I'm very glad I did. First flight I really only noticed a more realistic sky, 2nd flight I had a very complex overcast sky with a 2000' ceiling and it looked exactly like the flight I had done in a real airplane a couple of days before, with different types of cloud layers visible through breaks, the 3rd time I noticed my water looks awesome and no longer is comprised of big squares. The more I fly with FEX the more I am impressed with it. It is well worth the money and makes FSX look much more realistic.

I just got FEX this morning - then had to got to work. Bummer.But when I got home I flew for a bit and I am very impressed. The graphics are delicious and the water is mighty tasty. This is a quality add-on. Didn't notice any FPS hit either. (Nice to have the $10 off coupon for us FS9 FE owners, too.)FE for FS9 was a solid product and FEX looks to be the same. Two thumbs from me.

Wow! I have been a fan of Peter Wilding "goodies" for a few years now, so after I saw a screenshot or two I stole my kids lunch money:-lol and purchased FEX.:-lol (PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, THIS WAS MY ATTEMPT AT HUMOR:-roll )I am using XGraphics, edited to remove clouds, sky and water. Then made my choices in FEX and installed them. Launched FSX and used MegaScenery Hawaii. NO FRAME HITS! REALISTIC CLOUDS. FROM WHAT IS RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW, AND WHAT IS ON THE MONITOR, I CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN SKY COLOR ! WOW, oh already said that. See for yourself,http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178518.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178519.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178520.jpgOriginal pics were 1920x1200. Hope they look as good reduced in size.I chose "real world static weather" inside FSX settings.I just cant get over those "puffy, fluffy, wuffy" clouds. I flew the sim for an hour, then went outside and looked up, only to find those same looking clouds right there in the real sky! I am VERY IMPRESSED.After a year of "lurking" this new software made me come out of the shadows to share with you all. Absolutely stunning. Thank you Peter Wilding, Robert Stevens, Chris Norris and all the others who made FEX. I am really looking forward to the "Weather" feature. Money well spent IMHO. Best Regards,E.N. Owings

Guest Xiderpunk

Thank you! :-) We have been amazed by the reaction, not because we lacked confidence in FEX but been amazed at the kind words said! It really is very appreciated.Kind regards,Chris Norris

Guest Xiderpunk

>I don't have UTX so I suppose I'm good on that front.>>I do have XGraphics but can't find any water textures that are>muted and dulled (like real life). The tropical water in FSX>is neon bright blue even on a cloudy day.>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150>gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb>5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster PraetorianHi Rhett,FEX allows you to choose any color for water you choose, from bright to dark. You can also select different coral patterns individually for each depth amoung other things such as waves etc. :-) Obviously you don't have to fiddle around with the Designer mode and just install water themes which match what you want or make slight changes to an existing theme.The fact is everyone has a different idea of what color the sea actually is, there is no right or wrong as such hence the approach we took.Kind regards,Chris

All right... I couldn't hold on any longer and got the FEX. I have seen Mango's screen shots with those awesome clouds and wanted the same. Not that I was stingy or anything. The XGraphics cost around $30-40..whatever I paid when got the ASX. So the thought of spending another $45 didn't seem necessary. I tried to play around with the clouds in XGraphics and got it to a comfortable level. I was thinking thats it.. Is there a better cloud than that? But then I kept going back to Mango's screen shots and there was something really nice about it.So I got it...installed it and looked at the cloud themes and it didn't look much different from XGraphics. at least when I saw it in the FXE configuration screens (those small ones). I then downloaded a Theme called "Volume metrics" and Voila.... what a set of clouds. Simply amazing. they are the 1024 X 1024 ones. I have been flying with tons and tons of clouds around me..and this is a new world out there.I haven't looked seriously at the other textures like water and stuff much. But I like the fact that you can create your textures fairly easily. Also, FEX Library would eventually grow that you could download. There are plenty of good textures already out there that you could download and check it out.Now, if you already have Xgraphics, how much does FEX add to it. For me, IMO, These clouds alone is worth the money. I only wish, I could install different water textures for different geography. Note to self: remember to post this for your FSXI wish list. :)Mannyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178889.jpgBTW..that F-18 is an FS9 freeware..not from Acceleration. ;)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest wyoming

your quick help with a silly install problem as well. I still have a few problems when reaching the base of the layers (gray-outs), but I suppose it's my vidcard. We'll see with the new one in a few days. Also, it looks like there are different textures for the very far-away clouds? Am I wrong?

Guest Xiderpunk

>your quick help with a silly install problem as well. I still>have a few problems when reaching the base of the layers>(gray-outs), but I suppose it's my vidcard. We'll see with the>new one in a few days. Also, it looks like there are different>textures for the very far-away clouds? Am I wrong?Your welcome :-)Gray-outs as such does sound like a video card/driver issue although I will investigate this further. I have never personally seen this but it is possible others have, can you describe that more at all?The very far distance clouds are the same textures but at a much lower mip-map so can sometimes look distinctly different, also FSX uses alpha to bring them into view as you get closer which again can distort the shape a little.Warm regards,Chris

Guest Xiderpunk

Thanks Geofa :-) Although thats all down to Pete.. I had a go creating clouds myself and my results were somewhat suspect lol, so I figured I would leave it to him.

Nice shots Manny. Your post is making it harder and harder to hold out... :DHow much of Xgraphics are you still using? I do like the idea that you can download/customize everything to your liking to a high level of detail.

Well.. I think FEX missed out on the timing a bit.If I were to do it again, I would have gotten ASX and FEX instead of XGraphics. However many folks like the ASX triggering the texture load from Xgraphics. That functionality would be missed. As for me, I don't use that functionality.Also. XGraphics provide few other textures like Runway textures and taxi way textures. Which are actually pretty good. But still, I simply can't stand 5000 runways with almost identical runways. The very reason, I spend a fortune on add on airports. I am obsessed with unique runway textures..so I could have lived without that too. For the most part I do not take off or land in a default airport during day time. XGraphics also provide you some airport lightings which I don't use. I have my own FS9 freeware that works great in FSX which I like very much.But the killer application for me in FEX is the clouds. Imagine, If they had said that this kind of clouds is available in DX10 and you need a new Video card.. Who knows.. I may forked some big bucks just for that. So considering all that I like FEX.I also like the water textures in FEX. It seems more active when I fly over it. I am not 100% certain on this..but today I noticed it ...but this needs more scrutiny.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter