Sign in to follow this  
SquadronLeader

MSFS 2024 and PMDG announcement

I like this part: “In the mean time, enjoy the energy in the community- and please refrain from arguing with each other of things that nobody has answers to.”

Bang on…

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The only thing that he specifically left out that other developers have made a point in addressing is whether we would have to purchase PMDG planes again. I found it interesting that he specifically avoided anything to do with that specific topic. 

Eric 

4 minutes ago, B777ER said:

The only thing that he specifically left out that other developers have made a point in addressing is whether we would have to purchase PMDG planes again. I found it interesting that he specifically avoided anything to do with that specific topic. 

At this moment in time, our current guidance is that we see no reason for concern about the forward compatibility of your PMDG products.

It is PMDG's position that ensuring forward compatibility is a smart decision both for Microsoft and for PMDG, as it protects the customer investment in the hobby.

I think this gives a pretty good idea of where they're going with this. If I have to fork out more money to use their products on the new sim, my investment was not protected.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

45 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I found it interesting that he specifically avoided anything to do with that specific topic. 

Exactly. And until there is an simple, clear, iron-clad statement that there will be no additional fees whatsoever related to migrating to 2024, I will not be purchasing PMDG products. I am old enough to be patient to wait a year. This is true for other developers as well. I appreciate their quandary, but I feel I was nickeled and dimed too many times in the past -- whether rightly or wrongly that is how I feel and that affects what I do now in relation to third-party development. 

I likely will not invest much more in 2020, not because I am worried about compatibility, more because I have most of what I would want now and don't see much point in purchasing more. A year goes by fast enough and when 2024 comes out I will immediately move to it and begin investing in it. 

• Like 1

Dan Scott

It is PMDG's position that ensuring forward compatibility is a smart decision both for Microsoft and for PMDG, as it protects the customer investment in the hobby. In our early conversations with Microsoft after the unveiling of MSFS back in 2019, we came away with the impression that Microsoft's business plan was pro-simmer, and that is why we announced our support of the platform in August of that year. While the messaging on this new version of MSFS has been a bit non-specific, we suspect that Microsoft's strong support for growth of the developer community and the customer value equation remains in place.

Take it from someone who works in marketing and strategic partnerships, you should all really listen to Randazzo on this point.

There's a really easy value prop on a long-term customer buying products from your own marketplace that you extract commission on. 

So far, MS has done nothing that's made me think they're remotely going to abandon FS2020 or the FS ecosystem. Feature creep? Sure. Addons I'll never use? Boat loads of them. But the hyperbole isn't deserved yet.

59 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Well we will just copy paste into the new Community folder 😄. Fortunately is not P3D with its nonsense complicated add-one installation process. 

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

1 minute ago, omarsmak30 said:

Well we will just copy paste into the new Community folder 😄. Fortunately is not P3D with its nonsense complicated add-one installation process. 

I highly doubt there's even going to be a new Community folder.

The way I see it with the existing MS Store infrastructure, especially considering every upgrade to an MS product currently goes into Store and updates the existing product, is 2024 as a big, engine enhancing XPack. You can install 2024 and get the new engine and 2024 content, if you just install 2024 you only get the 2024 content, and have access to the marketplace. Otherwise it just sits on top of 2020 and 2020 "becomes 2024."

It's the most logical way they meet the guarantee of "most of your addons work out of the box."

It just doesn't make sense for them to go around installing second and third instances of the sim a la XP or P3D. Just the way the sim is installed, and the level at which it has access on the OS, permit additional options.