Sign in to follow this  
Souris Lemur635

Severe stutters/perfomance issues with a 7800X3D and RTX 409

37 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Things I noticed:

1 - FPS shown on Riva Tuner were supposed to be higher than those from the internal counter. The reason is the internal counter doesn't count the frames created exclusively on the GPU through frame generator. In your case, Riva tuner is showing lower FPS. 
2 - Try turning off Vsync. AFAIK frame generator doesn't work well with frame generator.
3 - As the internal frame counter only count half of the frames (when FG is on) I'd say your FPS are ok. What's killing your experience is because it is really stuttery. I would say the Vsync must be the cause for those stutters.

I don't think I had the FPS counter on in RivaTuner, it's the frametime. Also, V-Sync is off, I'm using G-Sync.

2 hours ago, Souris Lemur635 said:

I don't think I had the FPS counter on in RivaTuner, it's the frametime. Also, V-Sync is off, I'm using G-Sync.

V-sync OFF in NVCP or in game?

Hi guys

I've been following this thread with interest as I was also having performance issues with a new 7950x3d paired with a 4090.

It seems my issues were tied to ram. Two different pairs of ram, one (expo) I suspect is faulty and the other pair is for an intel system.

After pulling my hair out trying to get stability out of my system I've found that setting my ram speed down a couple notches has given me the stability and the performance I was looking for. When I get replacement expo ram I'm hoping to get a little better performance.

I've had a lot of bad luck with ram lately. Have you tested your ram? Have you tested each stick individually?

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

4 hours ago, laserit said:

Hi guys

I've been following this thread with interest as I was also having performance issues with a new 7950x3d paired with a 4090.

It seems my issues were tied to ram. Two different pairs of ram, one (expo) I suspect is faulty and the other pair is for an intel system.

After pulling my hair out trying to get stability out of my system I've found that setting my ram speed down a couple notches has given me the stability and the performance I was looking for. When I get replacement expo ram I'm hoping to get a little better performance.

I've had a lot of bad luck with ram lately. Have you tested your ram? Have you tested each stick individually?

Hope this helps

I've ran MemTest on the sticks, but it wasn't individually. I'll try again just in case. Also tested EXPO on and off and it didn't change anything sadly.

14 minutes ago, Souris Lemur635 said:

I've ran MemTest on the sticks, but it wasn't individually. I'll try again just in case. Also tested EXPO on and off and it didn't change anything sadly.

Are you able to select EXPO-II? EXPO is just the primary timings, whereas EXPO-II also contains all the tertiary timings, to further improve speed and latency of your RAM. I used Buildzoid's video (a very well respected guy in the overclocking community, very knowledgeable): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlYxmRcdLVw - Whilst that itself is not important, check out the chapter on Infinity Fabric, from 4:40 and onwards. There's a small fix or two you could apply to further improve your setup. Especially the FCLK Frequency.

Outside of that, MemTest is useless, that's from a bygone era. One of the best and fastest memory testing methods is TestMem5 with anta777's Extreme config - You should be able to find that on Google. There's also Karhu's RAM Test, another excellent tool. Use those to expose any potential RAM instability you might have.

Also, a tip, if you dive further into RAM timings in the above video, outside of just the section I talked about and want to dial in by his suggestion. Careful with the "PowerDown" feature he talks about. While he happily disables it, that's a one way ticket to BSOD town for me, on my Asus board for some reason.

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Sethos said:

Are you able to select EXPO-II? EXPO is just the primary timings, whereas EXPO-II also contains all the tertiary timings, to further improve speed and latency of your RAM. I used Buildzoid's video (a very well respected guy in the overclocking community, very knowledgeable): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlYxmRcdLVw - Whilst that itself is not important, check out the chapter on Infinity Fabric, from 4:40 and onwards. There's a small fix or two you could apply to further improve your setup. Especially the FCLK Frequency.

Outside of that, MemTest is useless, that's from a bygone era. One of the best and fastest memory testing methods is TestMem5 with anta777's Extreme config - You should be able to find that on Google. There's also Karhu's RAM Test, another excellent tool. Use those to expose any potential RAM instability you might have.

Also, a tip, if you dive further into RAM timings in the above video, outside of just the section I talked about and want to dial in by his suggestion. Careful with the "PowerDown" feature he talks about. While he happily disables it, that's a one way ticket to BSOD town for me, on my Asus board for some reason.

Yes, I have EXPO ll and EXPO Tweaked as well, tried both but there's no noticeable performance difference. Thanks for the video, I'll check it out!

On 6/26/2023 at 4:22 PM, laserit said:

Hi guys

Hope this helps

To completely rule this out, I got another memory kit today, also 6000 CL30 DDR5 but this one from Corsair. Same exact thing, it's ridiculous how bad the performance is, the 10900k was actually better lol. 

Souris, mind posting your test conditions when you throw up a video, just so we can replicate it. Just the basics; Airport, plane and terrain level of detail, as you know you run that really high which is sure to cause stutters regardless.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Have you tried GSync off and using old school straight Vsync at full or half rate?

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:36 PM, Sethos said:

The reason why 6000 2033 works better is because the A+D agesa had a bug where on some frequencies combinations the actual frequency increases eg: 6000+2033 = 6100 (3050 uclk) 6200+2100= 3150 uclk, 6200+2133= 3200 uclk, 6400+2167 = 3250 uclk.

This Agesa bug has been fixed, I would suggest to keep FCLK frequency on Auto.

• Upvote 1

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

4 hours ago, pilotter said:

The reason why 6000 2033 works better is because the A+D agesa had a bug where on some frequencies combinations the actual frequency increases eg: 6000+2033 = 6100 (3050 uclk) 6200+2100= 3150 uclk, 6200+2133= 3200 uclk, 6400+2167 = 3250 uclk.

This Agesa bug has been fixed, I would suggest to keep FCLK frequency on Auto.

I see, appreciate the heads-up. I'll set mine back to Auto then.