Sign in to follow this  
Souris Lemur635

Severe stutters/perfomance issues with a 7800X3D and RTX 409

I ran all the same tests and suggested solutions, and I’m still in the same boat as you. Clearly some kind of CPU limit going on.

For those who aren’t experiencing this issue - any settings you might’ve changed in your BIOS? I don’t think I’ve touched anything other than enabling EXPO.

7800X3D | RTX 4090 | ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI | 32GB 6000MHz CL30 DDR5

On 6/15/2023 at 1:53 PM, Sethos said:

It's obvious you have something going but it's definitely not because of the hardware's lack of capabilities, it's something else. I have the same system and it's running pretty smooth with frame generation capped at 90 (thus it only shows 45FPS, real FPS next to it)

https://streamable.com/teno2l

Yes, but you are running at half his resolution and in an airport with buildings with no textures. I wonder why your buildings are all white.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

2 hours ago, Alvega said:

Yes, but you are running at half his resolution and in an airport with buildings with no textures. I wonder why your buildings are all white.

Has nothing to do with it, resolution shouldn't cause that kind of stutters either, just reduced performance and had you looked at OP, he also posted a video from a default airport, the video I'm actually mimicking. Mine is KLAX, you know, one of the most performance intensive places in the entire sim with all the photogrammetry around

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

14 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Has literally nothing to do with it, resolution shouldn't cause that kind of stutters either, just reduced performance and had you looked at OP, he also posted a video from a default airport, the video I'm actually mimicking. Oh and mine is KLAX, you know, one of the most performance intensive places in the entire sim with all the photogrammetry around?

The thing is you can't post a video comparing performance or stutters if you're running at half the resolution he is. And yes, resolution can cause that kind of stutters. 

And you say your video is in KLAX, ok. But why are the airports buildings all white?

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Just now, Alvega said:

The thing is you can't post a video comparing FPS if you're running at half the resolution he is. And yes, resolution can cause that kind of stutters. 

And you say your video is in KLAX, ok. But why are the airports buildings all white?

Because we're not comparing FPS! We're comparing frametimes and stutters, two completely different things. And yes, 4K can cause stutters if your system is at its knees. He has a 4090, it should not cause that kind of stutters in MSFS.

Have you ever even loaded up default KLAX before? Literally the corner with the white hangars. You can pause the video and see the rest of the airport.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

Because we're not comparing FPS! We're comparing frametimes and stutters, two completely different things. And yes, 4K can cause stutters if your system is at its knees. He has a 4090, it should not cause that kind of stutters in MSFS.

Have you ever even loaded up default KLAX before? Literally the corner with the white hangars. You can pause the video and see the rest of the airport.

I edited my post before you posted but I guess it was too late. I wanted to say performance and stutters, not FPS. 

And no, I never loaded KLAX, didn't know it has a corner with white hangars. 

Alvega

13 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I edited my post before you posted but I guess it was too late. I wanted to say performance and stutters, not FPS. 

And no, I never loaded KLAX, didn't know it has a corner with white hangars. 

Here you go, up from 1440p to 2160p, i.e 4K resolution, at a different end of KLAX so the white buildings aren't playing tricks, with clouds and the most performance heavy plane in MSFS;

https://streamable.com/tqjty6

Again; the crazy frametime stuttering OP is seeing is not normal and not how the game should respond to increased settings.

6 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Here you go, up from 1440p to 2160p, i.e 4K resolution, at a different end of KLAX so the white buildings aren't playing tricks, with clouds and the most performance heavy plane in MSFS;

https://streamable.com/tqjty6

Again; the crazy frametime stuttering OP is seeing is not normal and not how the game should respond to increased settings.

Read what I posted again. Where did I say his frametime or stutters are normal? I just said the first video you posted was useless as a comparison.

Alvega

9 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Read what I posted again. Where did I say his frametime or stutters are normal? I just said the first video you posted was useless as a comparison.

Well, thanks to your keen eye and deep knowledge of how hardware works, a better video was posted proving my point and everyone was happy. So now you need not have your knickers in a twist. Good day.

On 6/16/2023 at 5:15 AM, Souris Lemur635 said:

spacer.png

Just ran Time Spy and it seems to be even above average.

We have about the same system, my results are: Total: 29193 / GPU: 36896 / CPU: 13373
The big difference with your settings is that I don't use Frame Generation and have V-Sync enabled
(Initially 50%-30hz and now 100%-60Hz)
My system runs (99%) stutter free

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

On 6/13/2023 at 4:04 PM, Souris Lemur635 said:

Hello everyone,

First of all sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this, I'm new to this forum.

Recently I upgraded my PC with a 7800X3D chip, based off benchmarks and information I had read which said this CPU was the best one currently available for MSFS. 

After making a fresh Windows 11 install, I downloaded MSFS but was very surprised and disappointed by the performance I'm getting. 

https://youtu.be/DB4WNQJ77f0?t=40

https://streamable.com/8mlum9

Same situation and same settings, the user in the YT video has around 70 FPS with constant smoothness, and I'm getting around 60 FPS with really noticeable stutters (with frame generation on). The YT video CPU is a 13900k too, which from the benchmarks I saw, should actually perform a bit worse than the 7800X3D.

Here's another example, this time at a default airport. 

Some more info: all drivers are updated, BIOS too, EXPO enabled, I've gone through the trouble of formatting twice and testing both Windows 10 and 11, HAGS on and off, DX11/DX12 in-game... Also ran Cinebench and the scores were normal, so whatever is happening seems to only be affecting MSFS (or maybe other games, haven't been able to try that). The game is installed on a 1TB NVME drive, I'm running 32GB of CL30 DDR5 memory at 6000MHz and the motherboard is an Aorus Elite AX X670.

I posted this on the official MSFS forums as well but nobody was able to give me a solution, so hopefully someone here will have some ideas.

Thanks!

I have the same setup as yours (7800X3D + RTX 4090) and one thing I have noticed is frame generation doesn’t work well when locking the FPS with Riva Tuner (MSI Afterburner). 

If you are using MSI Afterbuner and Riva Tuner, try unlocking your FPS.

Edited by ca_metal

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

2 hours ago, ca_metal said:

I have the same setup as yours (7800X3D + RTX 4090) and one thing I have noticed is frame generation doesn’t work well when locking the FPS with Riva Tuner (MSI Afterburner). 

100% Agree with you regarding locking frame rate with a 4090 & FG

I did a ton of testing and with my PC/Sony 55 inch X90K these are the settings that yield very smooth results

NVCP

Low Latency Mode - Ultra

Max Frame Rate - Off (I tried locking 58 fps as others suggested but in the sim it gave me 58 fps and not 116 fps according to RTSS for some reason) I tried also locking to 117 fps using RTSS and while it creates a very smooth frametime with little to no variance there are stutters. The best result seems to be no fps cap at all because once FG is turned on your fps are automatically capped below your monitor/TV refresh rate (For me it is 116). Capping fps with Riva does not yield smooth results with FG on.

GSYNC - On (Full Screen & Windowed)

Threaded Optimization - On

VSYNC - On (VSYNC has to be on for me to prevent tearing even below 120 fps) I have tried with no vsync and setting max frame rate to 116 in NVCP but panning is not smooth

MSFS 2020

Full Screen 3840 x 2160

TAA

Frame Generation - On

VSYNC - Off

Ultra Preset 

Sony X90K

Refresh Rate 120Hz using HDMI 4 (VRR) Game Mode is on automatically using VRR on this TV

I have tried with no GSYNC but while the fps are high panning is just not smooth

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I seem to be seeing some improvements on my end by enabling Precison Boost Overdrive and Medium Load BoostIt in the BIOS - these settings should in theory make the CPU boost a bit more aggressively, so it's possible that's helping smooth things out a little. I'm still not able to recreate some of the best-case scenarios in this thread, and I'm still getting heavier stutters when I run out of VRAM in scenery-heavy areas, but it seems like TLOD 200-300 might be mostly playable at this point.

7800X3D | RTX 4090 | ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI | 32GB 6000MHz CL30 DDR5

8 hours ago, ca_metal said:

I'm not using Afterburner or Riva Tuner.

6 hours ago, RJC68 said:

100% Agree with you regarding locking frame rate with a 4090 & FG

I did a ton of testing and with my PC/Sony 55 inch X90K these are the settings that yield very smooth results

NVCP

Low Latency Mode - Ultra

Max Frame Rate - Off (I tried locking 58 fps as others suggested but in the sim it gave me 58 fps and not 116 fps according to RTSS for some reason) I tried also locking to 117 fps using RTSS and while it creates a very smooth frametime with little to no variance there are stutters. The best result seems to be no fps cap at all because once FG is turned on your fps are automatically capped below your monitor/TV refresh rate (For me it is 116). Capping fps with Riva does not yield smooth results with FG on.

GSYNC - On (Full Screen & Windowed)

Threaded Optimization - On

VSYNC - On (VSYNC has to be on for me to prevent tearing even below 120 fps) I have tried with no vsync and setting max frame rate to 116 in NVCP but panning is not smooth

MSFS 2020

Full Screen 3840 x 2160

TAA

Frame Generation - On

VSYNC - Off

Ultra Preset 

Sony X90K

Refresh Rate 120Hz using HDMI 4 (VRR) Game Mode is on automatically using VRR on this TV

I have tried with no GSYNC but while the fps are high panning is just not smooth

Just tried all of this settings but nothing either. It's all CPU limited.