Sign in to follow this  
Souris Lemur635

Severe stutters/perfomance issues with a 7800X3D and RTX 409

I was just curious if you'd indulge me in trying to see what kind of numbers you got in a similar scenario like mine. Also, just to reiterate, you need to find an FPS overlay when using Frame Generation (RTSS is good). The internal debug FPS counter is not accurate with FG and the frametime spikes become much less representative due to the way FG works and its latency. Not expecting you to use every addon, just listing what I have that could have an impact on performance outside of the basics.

This is the Fenix (Screen rendering at Quality / CPU), at default KSEA runway 16R. Running GSX (though might not have an impact on this scenario), REX AccuSeason, We Love VFR + Powerlines & Solar Farms, Global AI Ship Traffic V3, FSRealistic and Navigraph Simlink in the background. FSLTL is active and running default settings! These are my settings and I'm also running a 90FPS cap in NVCP. You'll notice a lot of the small frametime spikes are due to FSLTL and once the FPS starts to drop below 60, like during take-off, frametime chart starts to become a solid red due to the longer frames of Frame Generation.

Side notes:

Some performance is gobbled up by the OBS H.264 recording (which takes a few CPU cycles) and that isn't native 4K but DLDSR, i.e 4K with additional deep learning to clean up the image, which is a tiny bit slower than native.

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

How does the system run with other software? Have you tried other demanding  pieces of software, how does the system perform? Are the performance issues only with MSFS or does the system perform poorly overall?

Your not getting the performance that you should easily get, so something is most definitely wrong. It should run like a dream right from install.

I would maybe start looking at your computer security, it might be overzealous. I know mine doesn't like me to install certain pieces of software and makes me go through a couple extra  hoops to get it installed. Not for any reason that I can discern other than Windows trying to save me from being infected.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Adding to what laserit said, I believe there was a couple of items part of Windows Defender that could actually cause a slight performance hit or even some stutter -- Think it was the Memory Integrity function. Was often recommended to disable that, perhaps that's worth a shot, see if that does anything.

EDIT: Forgot to add, there's also "Control flow guard (CFG)" under Exploit Protection. That has been known to cause stutters and low FPS in some games for people.

Though I would only recommend turning them off for testing purposes, see if that does anything.

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

7 hours ago, Sethos said:

I was just curious if you'd indulge me in trying to see what kind of numbers you got in a similar scenario like mine. Also, just to reiterate, you need to find an FPS overlay when using Frame Generation (RTSS is good). The internal debug FPS counter is not accurate with FG and the frametime spikes become much less representative due to the way FG works and its latency. Not expecting you to use every addon, just listing what I have that could have an impact on performance outside of the basics.

This is the Fenix (Screen rendering at Quality / CPU), at default KSEA runway 16R. Running GSX (though might not have an impact on this scenario), REX AccuSeason, We Love VFR + Powerlines & Solar Farms, Global AI Ship Traffic V3, FSRealistic and Navigraph Simlink in the background. FSLTL is active and running default settings! These are my settings and I'm also running a 90FPS cap in NVCP. You'll notice a lot of the small frametime spikes are due to FSLTL and once the FPS starts to drop below 60, like during take-off, frametime chart starts to become a solid red due to the longer frames of Frame Generation.

Side notes:

Some performance is gobbled up by the OBS H.264 recording (which takes a few CPU cycles) and that isn't native 4K but DLDSR, i.e 4K with additional deep learning to clean up the image, which is a tiny bit slower than native.

Don't have any of the other addons, only the Fenix and FSLTL. Seems to be about the same as you get with those settings.

When I tested some of your settings, that I'd deem beyond reasonable, I got similar performance and stuttering. When you match my settings and scenario, you get similar performance and a smoother experience.

I'm starting to suspect that you've just set your expectations way beyond what's reasonable. Seems like you found some select comments or YouTube videos with some very high settings and / or scenarios that may not tell the whole picture, that you are trying to match and end up stuttering. Especially when you start out by running FSLTL with default settings and perhaps compare up towards someone who has their settings dialed in and turned down. TLOD at beyond 200 (a level of the setting that wasn't even in the sim when it launched) in some extremely heavy areas and you try to create a baseline from that. Benchmarks numbers you've posted are on the level, when you match other people's settings it seems to run just fine so I'm not sure there's a real issue here.

The scenario I posted that you recreated, is an extremely dense area, with a very respectable TLOD, with FSLTL running, at 4K, game pretty much maxed out and not even DLSS to aid performance and you're still getting around 70FPS with FG, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can get close to that with lesser machines. Which also means the sim runs fine in the heaviest of scenarios and for majority of the flight you'll be hitting even higher numbers and it'll be a lot smoother.

Edited by Sethos

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

When I tested some of your settings, that I'd deem beyond reasonable, I got similar performance and stuttering. When you match my settings and scenario, you get similar performance and a smoother experience.

I'm starting to suspect that you've just set your expectations way beyond what's reasonable. Seems like you found some select comments or YouTube videos with some very high settings and / or scenarios that may not tell the whole picture, that you are trying to match and end up stuttering. Especially when you start out by running FSLTL with default settings and perhaps compare up towards someone who has their settings dialed in and turned down. TLOD at beyond 200 (a level of the setting that wasn't even in the sim when it launched) in some extremely heavy areas and you try to create a baseline from that. Benchmarks numbers you've posted are on the level, when you match other people's settings it seems to run just fine so I'm not sure there's a real issue here.

The scenario I posted that you recreated, is an extremely dense area, with a very respectable TLOD, with FSLTL running, at 4K, game pretty much maxed out and not even DLSS to aid performance and you're still getting around 70FPS with FG, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can get close to that with lesser machines. Which also means the sim runs fine in the heaviest of scenarios and for majority of the flight you'll be hitting even higher numbers and it'll be a lot smoother.

It could be, I guess I was expecting a bigger jump coming from the 10900k. It wasn't just comments tho, there were a couple of videos showing the exact settings and addons which I compared to and I had lower performance. It was also a mixed bag of people telling me the FPS I was getting were normal and others saying it was too low lol, so I didn't know what to believe either.

If that's the case, hopefully the game gets some optimization soon, because even using your settings I get stutters and FPS drops in big 3rd party airports.

5 hours ago, Sethos said:

I'm starting to suspect that you've just set your expectations way beyond what's reasonable.

That's what I was thinking since this thread started. There is nothing wrong with his rig. But you started posting videos with different settings from his with more FPS, that's why I said you needed to compare apples to apples. 

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

11 hours ago, Souris Lemur635 said:

It could be, I guess I was expecting a bigger jump coming from the 10900k. It wasn't just comments tho, there were a couple of videos showing the exact settings and addons which I compared to and I had lower performance. It was also a mixed bag of people telling me the FPS I was getting were normal and others saying it was too low lol, so I didn't know what to believe either.

If that's the case, hopefully the game gets some optimization soon, because even using your settings I get stutters and FPS drops in big 3rd party airports.

Not saying there is not a problem but you may get a better visual experience if you
slow your pan camera speed down a fair bit in MSFS settings
and add some camera momentum at the same time.

Edit:
Also what video driver are you using?
I find 531.29 pretty smooth (despite the sim's potential crash warning)
compared to the two latest versions which I find very jerky on panning.

Edited by gboz

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Upgrading my 5800x3d/4090 to a 7950x3d/4090 has let me change a single slider from 200 to 400 and keep my performance the same. Everything graphically is maxed now 🙂

I find Alaska just as demanding as LA or NY and it's an old simmers dream come true 😉 it's glorious. FShud combined with FSTLTL brings a huge hit but worth every penny.

My system is not running 100% yet and in the most demanding situations, I might see my fps drop down as low as 24/48 and buttery smooth. I'd say that the odd time I might get a stutter... I'm not 100% sure because of FS Realistic, Trak IR and things.

I think the trick is that when I keep the counters all closed that I'm having the most immersive flight sim experience that I've ever experienced and it only gets better from here.

I hope 😉

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

laserit, I'm not sure what the numbers you post mean, 24/48, is that pre- and post FG or what? Because personally, dropping below 60 with FG is far from a smooth experience in my opinion.

Hi Sethos

I'm running 64gigs of high quality XMP ram, my Expo ram is unstable, I can only run it with default bios settings. The bios has a setting for the intel ram but I have to clock it down a couple notches to get stability.

I'm not sure if I'm having ram issues or if it's a bad auto setting in the bios 😞

ps. the 24/48 is the fps/fg-fps 😉

Edited by laserit

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

On 7/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, laserit said:

Upgrading my 5800x3d/4090 to a 7950x3d/4090 has let me change a single slider from 200 to 400 and keep my performance the same. Everything graphically is maxed now 🙂

I find Alaska just as demanding as LA or NY and it's an old simmers dream come true 😉 it's glorious. FShud combined with FSTLTL brings a huge hit but worth every penny.

My system is not running 100% yet and in the most demanding situations, I might see my fps drop down as low as 24/48 and buttery smooth. I'd say that the odd time I might get a stutter... I'm not 100% sure because of FS Realistic, Trak IR and things.

I think the trick is that when I keep the counters all closed that I'm having the most immersive flight sim experience that I've ever experienced and it only gets better from here.

I hope 😉

See but this is the kind of post that makes me feel like something isn't right with the system haha, there's no way I can put the TLOD at 400 and have everything running smoothly.

On 7/3/2023 at 9:28 AM, Souris Lemur635 said:

See but this is the kind of post that makes me feel like something isn't right with the system haha, there's no way I can put the TLOD at 400 and have everything running smoothly.

I just came across this thread and I'm wondering if you've made any further progress?