Sign in to follow this  
james42

Erratic wind shifts at low altitudes

Lately I've been seeing some rather erratic wind shifts during my approaches at around 2000 feet when using real world weather. Just tried to fly an ILS into Olbia in the PMDG 737. I ended up abandoning the flight as the constant changes in wind speed and direction made the approach impossible and the aircraft uncontrollable. I had this problem a while ago at high altitude but it seems to be happening at low altitude now. Anyone else noticing this?

Were there gusts or variable winds reported in the metar?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

No, winds were forecast to be calm. Just seeing totally unrealistic changes in wind speed and direction. I'm going to try and change my turbulence settings and see if that makes a difference. 

Just now, james42 said:

No, winds were forecast to be calm. Just seeing totally unrealistic changes in wind speed and direction. I'm going to try and change my turbulence settings and see if that makes a difference. 

What do you have the turbulence setting at now?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

50 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What do you have the turbulence setting at now?

I have it set to realistic, might try setting it to low. I really don't know what else could be causing it. Honestly, what I would give to have Active sky in this sim. The real world weather in the sim has been a constant source of problems.

2 hours ago, james42 said:

I have it set to realistic, might try setting it to low. I really don't know what else could be causing it. Honestly, what I would give to have Active sky in this sim. The real world weather in the sim has been a constant source of problems.

Even with the 737, I found, that medium works the best.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

I've set mine to medium as well.
The 414 did a 20' sidestep on approach to an airport that I've forgotten.
Works fine now.