Sign in to follow this  
aatd

MSFS -- Multi Monitor Support Timing?

A quick, but possibly stupid question.  Does anyone here have knowledge on if / when MSFS plans to properly accommodate a multi monitor setup?  I ask because I am wanting to decide whether I wait (for a three monitor setup) or bite the bullet and buy a 49" curved monitor ( ouch $$ ),

Many thanks,

Brian

It doesn't seem to be a big priority with MSFS2020. Maybe 2024? 

I was viewing this site last month:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/best-gaming-size

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Using multi monitor here and I am very satisfied with it….

The more you can see around you the more immersion you have….

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

14 hours ago, aatd said:

A quick, but possibly stupid question.  Does anyone here have knowledge on if / when MSFS plans to properly accommodate a multi monitor setup?  I ask because I am wanting to decide whether I wait (for a three monitor setup) or bite the bullet and buy a 49" curved monitor ( ouch $$ ),

I wonder what you mean by 'properly'? The multi-screen support works fine right now, with a few constraints if you want to mix screens of different sizes. Have a look at this video.

Edited by MarkDH
  • Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I would like to be able to set the left and right angles of each monitor separately.  For example for the center monitor I would like the left edge to be set at -28 degrees and the right edge to be at 62 degrees.  That still gives you 90 degrees but it's offset.  By doing this is also offsets the center of the view more to the left of center of the actual monitor, which is my seating position.  This is similar to other sims.

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

41 minutes ago, Sabre57 said:

I would like to be able to set the left and right angles of each monitor separately.  For example for the center monitor I would like the left edge to be set at -28 degrees and the right edge to be at 62 degrees.  That still gives you 90 degrees but it's offset.  By doing this is also offsets the center of the view more to the left of center of the actual monitor, which is my seating position.  This is similar to other sims.

You can certainly set the monitor angles independently. But if what you're trying to do is move the eyepoint left or right I don't think you need different angles, surely you just need to move the eyepoint? 

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

50 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

You can certainly set the monitor angles independently. But if what you're trying to do is move the eyepoint left or right I don't think you need different angles, surely you just need to move the eyepoint? 

If all you do is move the eyepoint, the focus of the sim remains in the center of the monitor.  The angles I'm talking about are set independently on a single monitor.  Prepar3d accommodates this with a view frustrum.  I believe that Xplane has its own method for doing this.

45 minutes ago, Sabre57 said:

If all you do is move the eyepoint, the focus of the sim remains in the center of the monitor.  The angles I'm talking about are set independently on a single monitor.  Prepar3d accommodates this with a view frustrum.  I believe that Xplane has its own method for doing this.

I don't know what you mean by 'the focus of the sim'. Maybe I just don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

2 hours ago, Sabre57 said:

As I am using 2 view pc’s (WidevieW ) I have the monitors standing at different angles.

Everyone as he likes but imho the framerate drop going from 1 to 3 views on 1 pc is too much for the detail I want.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

19 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I don't know what you mean by 'the focus of the sim'. Maybe I just don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

Let me use a different description:

My center monitor is a 55 inch TV. 

I sit about halfway between the center and left edge of it.

When the sim loads the yoke, and the entire view is centered in the center of the monitor

Moving the eye point so the view is centered on my position works just fine

However, when you are moving, especially when you are airborne, it looks like you're in a slip and not moving straight ahead. I think this is because the center of motion is the center of the monitor.

In Prepar3d you can pretty much eliminate this by using a view frustrum to adjust the left and right angles independently on a single monitor. 

Here's a picture of my setup with P3D.  It doesn't show this very well but it gets the idea across of a side by side seating arraignment, which is what I'm trying to achieve. 

bqB0IC7.jpg

Edited by Sabre57
improved the wording

19 hours ago, GSalden said:

As I am using 2 view pc’s (WidevieW ) I have the monitors standing at different angles.

Everyone as he likes but imho the framerate drop going from 1 to 3 views on 1 pc is too much for the detail I want.

Its probably a topic for a different thread, but how complex is a Wideview setup to get working? I understand I'd need two computers and two copies of MSFS. I don't have a full cockpit so would need to use the virtual cockpit as opposed. Is this doable? I guess Wideview syncronises the MSFS world between the two? 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

1 hour ago, Sabre57 said:

However, when you are moving, especially when you are airborne, it looks like you're in a slip and not moving straight ahead. I think this is because the center of motion is the center of the monitor.

I see, I will have to try that. I remember that P3D and X-Plane have X/Y/Z offsets in the setup as well as rotations, so maybe this is what's needed.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

3 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Its probably a topic for a different thread, but how complex is a Wideview setup to get working? I understand I'd need two computers and two copies of MSFS. I don't have a full cockpit so would need to use the virtual cockpit as opposed. Is this doable? I guess Wideview syncronises the MSFS world between the two? 

Two copies of MSFS and all scenery + traffic Addons on all view pc’s.

Wideview does sync the “slewed” ac on the client view pc 

https://www.wideview.it

On 7/1/2023 at 3:44 AM, GSalden said:

Two copies of MSFS and all scenery + traffic Addons on all view pc’s.

Wideview does sync the “slewed” ac on the client view pc 

https://www.wideview.it

Thanks Gerard

Do you run 2 x TVs off your server and 1 off your client? I've got a 7900X3D laying around I can use, but will need to buy a second video card for the client machine. Trying to work out if I should get a cheaper 4070 or another 4090 for the client PC?

Any suggestions?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs