Sign in to follow this  
jkeye

V6-long loading times for the flight planner with Orbx

I have found that with Orbx libraries installed in V6 the flight planner takes a very long time to go through the steps up to saving the file. This is a bit cumbersome if one gets ATC services cancelled due to a slight delay in responding.

Is there any way to prolong the time ATC allows for a response before cancelling it

If anyone has any workaround to suggest that would be great

Edited by jkeye

Are you moving around/zooming in on the map in the flight planner?

I found there was a bug that would cause the sim to hang while it waited for the detailed map imagery to load on the map in v4/v5. 

Do you have ORBX vector installed?  If so that could be the issue.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

51 minutes ago, DChockey08 said:

Are you moving around/zooming in on the map in the flight planner?

I found there was a bug that would cause the sim to hang while it waited for the detailed map imagery to load on the map in v4/v5. 

No I'm not moving around or zooming. Just clicking the boxes.

19 minutes ago, johncott said:

Do you have ORBX vector installed?  If so that could be the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion

Yes I do have orbx vector -what does it do in the sim-is it essential to the addon?

Edited by jkeye

41 minutes ago, jkeye said:

Yes I do have orbx vector -what does it do in the sim-is it essential to the addon?

Most people dumped Vector when V5 came out. It isn't needed anymore and it liable to cause more issues since it hasn't been updated in years. 

• Like 1

XML addons take longer to load than Scenery Library items take. Is it installed via xml? 

1 hour ago, jkeye said:

When ORBX upgraded Vector for P3DV5 they created some very large files to exclude existing default vector files instead of the smaller files that were used for P3DV4.X and FSX. These large files take a long time to load.  They will cause issues with long loading times especially on start up and anything with a map including GPS units when zooming out and the flight planner.  I found that the default vector data has some elevation and water body issues in the Canadian north where I do quite a bit of flying so I created a fix for it. My fix basically is just smaller exclude files for removing default vector data world wide.

This is a link to the fix if you want to give it a try and keep using ORBX Vector.

AVSIM Library

I do not have P3DV6 yet, so you are on your own if you want to install my fix in P3DV6. 

Edited by johncott
  • Like 3

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

18 hours ago, johncott said:

When ORBX upgraded Vector for P3DV5 they created some very large files to exclude existing default vector files instead of the smaller files that were used for P3DV4.X and FSX. These large files take a long time to load.  They will cause issues with long loading times especially on start up and anything with a map including GPS units when zooming out and the flight planner.  I found that the default vector data has some elevation and water body issues in the Canadian north where I do quite a bit of flying so I created a fix for it. My fix basically is just smaller exclude files for removing default vector data world wide.

This is a link to the fix if you want to give it a try and keep using ORBX Vector.

AVSIM Library

I do not have P3DV6 yet, so you are on your own if you want to install my fix in P3DV6. 

Thanks for the info.

I tested and can confirm that vector is the culprit in prolonging V6 load times.

I tried your fix (thanks) and it made things very slightly better but still too long so I've disabled Vector now.

20 hours ago, jkeye said:

Thanks for the info.

I tested and can confirm that vector is the culprit in prolonging V6 load times.

I tried your fix (thanks) and it made things very slightly better but still too long so I've disabled Vector now.

Thank you for you feedback, I have not purchased V6 yet as mentioned so not sure why there is a long loading time with my fix.  All I can recommend is double checking how you installed my fix and making sure everything is alright. 

John C.

23 minutes ago, johncott said:

Thank you for you feedback, I have not purchased V6 yet as mentioned so not sure why there is a long loading time with my fix.  All I can recommend is double checking how you installed my fix and making sure everything is alright. 

Hi!

I added your fix folder to the scenery using the scenery editor via the in sim menu (Option 1 in the install readme)..Are there any additional steps needed?

Thanks

Jay

Edited by jkeye

3 hours ago, jkeye said:

Hi!

I added your fix folder to the scenery using the scenery editor via the in sim menu (Option 1 in the install readme)..Are there any additional steps needed?

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay

Did you disable the “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_EXX” entry in the scenery config? This is the default vector large exclude files that my fix replaces. Just disable the “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_EXX” entry, do not disable the  “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_OBJ” or the “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_CVX” entries.

Regards,

John

John C.

19 hours ago, johncott said:

Hi Jay

Did you disable the “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_EXX” entry in the scenery config? This is the default vector large exclude files that my fix replaces. Just disable the “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_EXX” entry, do not disable the  “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_OBJ” or the “ORBX!VECTOR_P3DV5_CVX” entries.

Regards,

John

Hi John

i tried what you suggested thanks-for some reason the load times are no better and makes the sim unusable for me unless I disable Vector completely.

Kind regards

Jay

There have been a collection of issues with FSX/P3D regarding undesired and extended loading times.

There was initially a long standing bug in the FSX/P3D code relating to rescanning of every library object for each scenery object that was resolved in a P3D v.4 release.

In P3D v5 LM managed to introduce two new loading time issues, one occuring around the amount of AI in use.

The other v5 long loading time related to the indexing of scenery files on first run.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/195514-p3d-v5-flight-planner-with-vector-is-very-slow/?do=findComment&comment=1694172

Perhaps this is still an issue ?

Has anything been reported over at the LM forum ?

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

10 hours ago, Rogen said:

There have been a collection of issues with FSX/P3D regarding undesired and extended loading times.

There was initially a long standing bug in the FSX/P3D code relating to rescanning of every library object for each scenery object that was resolved in a P3D v.4 release.

In P3D v5 LM managed to introduce two new loading time issues, one occuring around the amount of AI in use.

The other v5 long loading time related to the indexing of scenery files on first run.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/195514-p3d-v5-flight-planner-with-vector-is-very-slow/?do=findComment&comment=1694172

Perhaps this is still an issue ?

Has anything been reported over at the LM forum ?

Cheers

Thanks for the input.

I was referring to the longer time it was taking to navigate the flight planner menu which gets almost frozen with Vector installed.

The scenery load times are actuallly OK